Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   NBA Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Report: Lewis Agrees To Sign With Magic (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48122)

Orlando Magic 07-02-2007 11:58 PM

Report: Lewis Agrees To Sign With Magic

Report: Lewis Agrees To Sign With Magic
July 2, 2007 - 11:39 pm
WKMG Channel 6 -
Orlando television station WKMG Local 6 is reporting that Rashard Lewis has agreed to sign with the Orlando Magic on July 11.

The deal is reported for 5 years and $75 million.

Sports anchor David Pingalore also reported the Magic will allow restricted free agent forward Darko Milicic to become an unrestricted free agent. [READ]

If this is true, this is about as dumb of a move as we could possibly make. 15 million a #### season for Rashard Lewis and giving up Darko for nothing? Otis Smith. I love you. I love almost all of the moves you've made. But if this rumor is true, you have turned out to be a complete waste and have set the franchise back 5 years, at least. Our front line is thin enough as it is, and you would have to be the genius of all geniuses to be able to get a replacement for Darko that's going to be as good or better than he is now, nevermind his actual potential. If you think Rashard is going to fill in at PF and be anything other than crap, I can't wait for the team to fail so that you'll be shipped out.

This is absolute crap, if true. How insanely moronic. Tony Battie sucks. I'm about to have a stroke.

This pretty much spells the end of Grant Hill. Now, we're going to lose Hill AND Darko and bring in Rashard? Talent wise, we definitely just declined.

There are only a few ways this team will be better than we were last year. And that's sad, considering... but... one is if Dwight Howard explodes. I wouldn't count on it. Probably more minor improvement, but nothing major. And if Van Gundy makes a huge difference, we might be better.

But I can tell you right now, we're going to be kicking ourselves for letting Darko walk and giving Rashard Lewis $15 million a #### year. Both of those decisions are terrible.

OneWay 07-02-2007 11:59 PM

Re: Report: Lewis Agrees To Sign With Magic

Darko to the Lakers for the MLE. Why the hell not. Do it Vlade.

statman32 07-03-2007 12:00 AM

:oldlol:

I cant decide which one is worse?

Giving Lewis 15 million a year? or letting Darko go w/o getting anything back?

I can undestand overpaying Lewis a little but the Darko thing sucks. They could have got something productive in return. Maybe a draft pick?

Orlando Magic 07-03-2007 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by statman32
:oldlol:

I cant decide which one is worse?

Giving Lewis 15 million a year? or letting Darko go w/o getting anything back?

Letting Darko walk for nothing is worse, because the Magic are not going to have any capspace after this summer anyways because Dwight is getting a maximum extension this summer for 5 year and 80+ million.

If we had been able to keep Darko I wouldn't be as upset because we wouldn't have any foreseeable capspace anyways. But considering we had to let Darko walk to make it happen, how ****ing dumb is that? ****ing bull****.

saKf 07-03-2007 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orlando Magic
Thanks for just repeating what I said. Great, helpful, insightful, thought provoking post. No, really.

It's my summer tradition.

My contribution in most threads regarding free agent signings consists mostly of huge "Overpaid!" posts.

I could explain why it's stupid to pay Lewis that much, but most everyone already knows that.

FireMcFailPlease 07-03-2007 12:03 AM

jesus.

overpaid is right

Rockets(T-mac) 07-03-2007 12:04 AM

Wow 15 mil for Lewis WOW:eek: !!! They let go of Darko for nothing too what are they thinking? They could have atleast traded Darko.

saKf 07-03-2007 12:06 AM

Lewis ended up being a free agent at a pretty darn good time.

Imagine how much less Lewis would be getting paid if there were some more high-profile free agents.

Orlando Magic 07-03-2007 12:06 AM

Here's what I'm hoping.

Otis Smith is very, very good at bluffing.

So deep down I've got to just pray that he's putting this out there so that Seattle panics and asks for at the very least a future pick and expiring contracts. This way, the Magic will be able to get Lewis via S&T (because the capspace they have to go along with an expiriing contract or two will be able to get it done) and not have to just sign him outright. Which means what? Means they don't have to let Darko go unrestricted like they say they will. Means we can have both.

Now, do I think this is the case? No. But it would be the smart way to go about things.

Take Your Lumps 07-03-2007 12:09 AM

You've got to be a ****ing retard to think that Otis Smith will let Darko walk for nothing.

He's got something up his sleeve.

In related news: the east is getting stronger and stronger :)

ElPigto 07-03-2007 12:10 AM

Quote:

Here's what I'm hoping.

So deep down I've got to just pray that he's putting this out there so that Seattle panics and asks for at the very least a future pick and expiring contracts. This way, the Magic will be able to get Lewis via S&T (because the capspace they have to go along with an expiriing contract or two will be able to get it done) and not have to just sign him outright. Which means what? Means they don't have to let Darko go unrestricted like they say they will. Means we can have both.

Now, do I think this is the case? No. But it would be the smart way to go about things.

It says they aren't going to tender an offer to Milicic, so therefore he is going to be unrestricted hopefully.

statman32 07-03-2007 12:10 AM

Quote:

Here's what I'm hoping.

Who could Orlando offer in a sign and trade? Turk & Battie. I'm sure Seattle would rather get nothing than those two.

BFRESH44 07-03-2007 12:11 AM

Shard is a nice talent, should compliment Dwight...But renouncing Darko is terrible...Magic have no compentant bigs outside of Dwight.

Magic had to make a choice between Shard and Darko and they choose to sign Shard outright..They had no assets in a sign and trade that would perk Seattle's inetest...

So the basically Magic traded a first rounder to Detroit for a season a half of Darko and Carlos Arroyo? Ouch...

Take Your Lumps 07-03-2007 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElPigto
It says they aren't going to tender an offer to Milicic, so therefore he is going to be unrestricted hopefully.

They already did, right before July 1.

What's going to happen is that the Magic will let him loose to talk with other teams.....then Darko & his agent will get laughed at when they ask for $10 mil per year (no joke) and he will end up signing for the 1 year tendered offer.

Read that report again.

The only thing that's concrete is the fact that Lewis is signing.

The Darko thing is pure speculation on the part of the editor.

Orlando Magic 07-03-2007 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by statman32
Who could Orlando offer in a sign and trade? Turk & Battie. I'm sure Seattle would rather get nothing than those two.

They have expiring contracts. Arroyo, Garrity, Dooling, & Augustine.

Granted, none of those players are worth Lewis in the slightest, but I could see Seattle having interest in taking Dooling or Arroyo or both + some future picks + the capspace the Magic have as a trade exception.

Better than losing him for nothing. Yes, Dooling & Arroyo are better than nothing.

Do I think it'll happen? Like I said. No. But possibly Otis Smith has masterminded it to try to get it to work this way. But like I said, I doubt it. Just hope so.