Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Memphis Grizzlies Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Summer League: Defeating China (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48669)

Kebab Stall 07-07-2007 05:17 AM

Summer League: Defeating China

Quote:

Memphis Defeats China in Vegas
By: Dennis Rogers
Posted Jul 6 2007 11:30PM

The Memphis Grizzlies put on a dunk-a-thon Thursday night, powering their way past Team China, 86-77.

Sixth overall pick of the Milwaukee Bucks, Yi Jianlian was welcomed to the NBA by Grizzlies big man Alexander Johnson, who threw a powerful dunk over him with 8:48 left in the first quarter. On the ensuing play, Johnson emphatically swatted Yi’s shot.

The dunking was not over as Rudy Gay had two soaring dunks over Wang ZhiZhi and Yi, respectively. On the Yi dunk, Gay drove baseline and threw a flying one-handed dunk over him, then let out a scream in his direction before being called for the Technical Foul as the crowd roared with amazement of the dunk.

“It felt great to get back out there,” Gay said of the Grizzles’ first summer league game. “Most of the summer work is done on your own, so it’s good to get out here and play against different people.”

Guard Kyle Lowry got into the act by throwing down a fast-break facial on Sun Yue with 1:18 left in the second quarter, pushing the lead to 46-31.

Yi did not disappoint in his debut in the summer league, scoring 23 points (7-15 FG, 9-12 FT). He displayed a soft outside shot and a decent low-post game in the process.

“He’s good and he knows how to play within the system,” Gay said of Yi. “There is a reason why he had so much talk surrounding him.”

Former NBA player ZhiZhi poured in a game-high 27 points (11-18 FG) and seven rebounds, including three three-pointers.

Memphis led by as many as 21 points in the game and was up double-digits for the majority of the game. Gay led the Grizzlies with 21 points (7-11 FG, 5-7 FT) and six rebounds, while guard Tarence Kinsey had 20 points (7-10 FG).

“Most of us came out pretty strong to start the game,” Gay said of Memphis’ strong start. “The first half, I got my shots and in the second half I wanted to get my teammates involved.”

NOTES: Gay talked about the changes Memphis has gone through this off-season, saying, “It’s a new year, what happened last year, happened last season. We basically, have a new organization, new GM, new coach, new everything. It’s going to be a lot different next season.”
Kinsey with 20 points, I knew he would be able to keep this kind of scoring going. Doesn't matter whether it was in the Summer League or not, this guy has potential to be a great player.

Kyle Lowry also had 13 points and 5 assists while Mike Conley added 12 points. This team looks impressive, I know it's only the rookies and sophmores(sp?) but this team does look rather impressive and then plus Pau Gasol, Mike Miller and Hakim Warrick, I see good things for the future.

jailer 07-07-2007 12:04 PM

Re: Summer League: Defeating China

I heard the score was reversed.I thought we lost.

jailer 07-07-2007 12:37 PM

My bad last night the scores were just messed up.If you have not seen it got to nba.com and watch the rudy dunk on Yi.It is vicious.

HoopNightmare 07-07-2007 02:56 PM

Did Jianghua Chen get hurt?

Kebab Stall 07-07-2007 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jailer
My bad last night the scores were just messed up.If you have not seen it got to nba.com and watch the rudy dunk on Yi.It is vicious.

Yeah I seen the dunk, it was damn impressive. But what caught my eye was that, Wang Zhi Zhi had a 27 point game, that is what impressed me the most along with Kinsey getting 20 points.

jailer 07-07-2007 11:44 PM

Omg they had the entire games highlights here in memphis.Alexander johnson strait up posterized and t-bagged yi jinalin.Then rudy had two other monster dunks worse then the one on nba.com.Yi jinalin got jammed on like four times BAD!