Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   NBA Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   7-Footers shooting 3s (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50767)

steve franchise 07-26-2007 05:56 AM

7-Footers shooting 3s
 
I dont know why 7-footers make their living shooting 3s as if they were guards.That's why Okur got outscored by Yao and Duncan, I now ya'll probally gonna say that Utah still won the series but it wasnt because of Okur.

And that's why Dallas got knocked out of the first round, because Nowitzki was shooting Jays instead of working on the paint. After Dallas lost against Golden State Nowitzki said "We obviously needed an inside precense" (:hammerhead: That was a seven footer saying that) Dirk that was your job.

Why do you think trailblazers chose Oden over Durant. They're thinking big. Every championship team has had an inside precense and with Dallas not having one I wouldn't be surprised if they keep dreaming for a ring.
Championship teams had guys like: Bill Rusell, Wilt, Shaq, Kareem, Hakeem:bowdown: , Rasheed and Big Ben, Duncan, and later on Yao is going to be on the list.

Nowitski, Baragani, Yi, and Okur might extend the range but to they won't ever win a ring without an inside precense.:no:

chains5000 07-26-2007 06:06 AM

Re: 7-Footers shooting 3s
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by steve franchise
I dont know why 7-footers make their living shooting 3s as if they were guards.That's why Okur got outscored by Yao and Duncan, I now ya'll probally gonna say that Utah still won the series but it wasnt because of Okur.

Okur got outscored by Yao and Duncan cause they're much better players. Okur shooting 3s as the main reason is simplistic.
Quote:

Originally Posted by steve franchise
Why do you think trailblazers chose Oden over Durant.

And in what way is this related to bigs shooting 3s?:confusedshrug:

trig 07-26-2007 06:12 AM

Re: 7-Footers shooting 3s
 
If dirk came into the league as just a post player, GM's wont go crazy looking for the next dirk. dirk is more of a combo forward. There's nothing wrong with being a perimeter player if you're good at it. The inside presence dirk is referring to is the poor play of dampier and diop

Position is not defined by height. It depends on how you learned to play the game. Magic is 6'9 yet he played pg. did you hear people saying hey big guy stop making fancy passes, your 6'9 for christsake go play power forward. Then we have barkley etc etc if Yao Ming has MJ skills, go let him play sg

LJJ 07-26-2007 06:22 AM

Re: 7-Footers shooting 3s
 
I don't understand where all complaining on 7 footers shooting threes comes from.

You NEVER hear anyone saying Jason Kidd should stop rebounding and stick to being a point guard, wich is frankly just as ridiculous.

chains5000 07-26-2007 06:29 AM

Re: 7-Footers shooting 3s
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by LJJ
You NEVER hear anyone saying Jason Kidd should stop rebounding and stick to being a point guard, wich is frankly just as ridiculous.

Good point

R.I.P. 07-26-2007 06:37 AM

Re: 7-Footers shooting 3s
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by LJJ
I don't understand where all complaining on 7 footers shooting threes comes from.

You NEVER hear anyone saying Jason Kidd should stop rebounding and stick to being a point guard, wich is frankly just as ridiculous.


:oldlol: :oldlol: :oldlol: :applause:

steve franchise 07-26-2007 08:22 AM

Re: 7-Footers shooting 3s
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by R.I.P.
:oldlol: :oldlol: :oldlol: :applause:


Theres nothing wrong of a good pg rebounding but....how many rings does he holds.

steve franchise 07-26-2007 08:33 AM

Re: 7-Footers shooting 3s
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by trig
If dirk came into the league as just a post player, GM's wont go crazy looking for the next dirk. dirk is more of a combo forward. There's nothing wrong with being a perimeter player if you're good at it. The inside presence dirk is referring to is the poor play of dampier and diop

Position is not defined by height. It depends on how you learned to play the game. Magic is 6'9 yet he played pg. did you hear people saying hey big guy stop making fancy passes, your 6'9 for christsake go play power forward. Then we have barkley etc etc if Yao Ming has MJ skills, go let him play sg


Combo player huh...how come he was depending on Dampier and Diop to bring the inside presence. He was drafted because of his shooting ability and that he couldn't even do. Magic had Kareem, he had an inside presence and everything was right. 6'6 Barkely was a good player, but how many rings did he get. Don't get me wrong, Dirk can create mismatches but to say that he's the guy that can carry the load you're wrong. Let Dirkk be good as what he's good at but a bunch of guards crawl up on him and there's no game left.

steve franchise 07-26-2007 08:43 AM

Re: 7-Footers shooting 3s
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by chains5000
Okur got outscored by Yao and Duncan cause they're much better players. Okur shooting 3s as the main reason is simplistic.

And in what way is this related to bigs shooting 3s?:confusedshrug:


Oden (7ft) is inside in the paint. The point is once again they chose the old school center that wins you championships Durant is not a seven footer but I was just saying they trust the inside scorer type not like Dallas. Let me just say this: If Dirk wins ring is not going to be with Dampier or Diop, trust me. I will assure you Dallas is desperate for a big man that can score inside not like Dampier and Diop which someone out there just called them an inside precence. I laughed for almost a minute.:oldlol:

Phenith 07-26-2007 08:53 AM

Re: 7-Footers shooting 3s
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by steve franchise
I dont know why 7-footers make their living shooting 3s as if they were guards.That's why Okur got outscored by Yao and Duncan, I now ya'll probally gonna say that Utah still won the series but it wasnt because of Okur.

And that's why Dallas got knocked out of the first round, because Nowitzki was shooting Jays instead of working on the paint. After Dallas lost against Golden State Nowitzki said "We obviously needed an inside precense" (:hammerhead: That was a seven footer saying that) Dirk that was your job.

Why do you think trailblazers chose Oden over Durant. They're thinking big. Every championship team has had an inside precense and with Dallas not having one I wouldn't be surprised if they keep dreaming for a ring.
Championship teams had guys like: Bill Rusell, Wilt, Shaq, Kareem, Hakeem:bowdown: , Rasheed and Big Ben, Duncan, and later on Yao is going to be on the list.

Nowitski, Baragani, Yi, and Okur might extend the range but to they won't ever win a ring without an inside precense.:no:


Well, Bargnani has Bosh, Yi would have Bogut if he stayed with the Bucks and Okur has Boozer. It's not just an inside presence that is needed, you also need a reliable 3pt shooter, along with a good man defender and a couple of good help defenders. Basically what i'm trying to say is, you need a team, not a single presence.

chains5000 07-26-2007 09:00 AM

Re: 7-Footers shooting 3s
 
Well, Yao is a non three point shooter 7 footer.
How many rings does he have?
And Ewing?
Mutombo?

Fab17 07-26-2007 09:32 AM

Re: 7-Footers shooting 3s
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by steve franchise

Why do you think trailblazers chose Oden over Durant. They're thinking big. Every championship team has had an inside precense and with Dallas not having one I wouldn't be surprised if they keep dreaming for a ring.
Championship teams had guys like: Bill Rusell, Wilt, Shaq, Kareem, Hakeem:bowdown: , Rasheed and Big Ben, Duncan, and later on Yao is going to be on the list.

Nowitski, Baragani, Yi, and Okur might extend the range but to they won't ever win a ring without an inside precense.:no:


The Bulls won 3 rings with Luc Longley, Dennis Rodman and Dickey Simpkins being their inside presence.

A team can win without a big in the middle. It's difficult but not impossible.

Brunch@Five 07-26-2007 09:44 AM

Re: 7-Footers shooting 3s
 
so you wouldn't have a problem with Dirk shooting 3's if he was 6'7, despite being a worse player? :hammerhead:
Dirk is playing the way it suits him best, the way he can bring the best performance. That includes shooting the 3, because, frankly, he is one of the best outside shooters in the whole damn league.

steve franchise 07-26-2007 10:00 AM

Re: 7-Footers shooting 3s
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by chains5000
Well, Yao is a non three point shooter 7 footer.
How many rings does he have?
And Ewing?
Mutombo?


Lets see if you can beat my list of non shooting threes 7-footers that won rings.

LIST WITH RINGS: Kareem, Hakeem, Rusell, Wilt, Duncan, Rasheed, Shaq, Moses Malone, Walton, the list goes on.
NO RINGS: Nowitzki (10 yr career), Yao (5yrs-big difference), Mutumbo, Eiwing. As you can see the list is short. Find me a list of nine 7 footers shooting threes that won rings. When you can't find one just reply.:banana:

steve franchise 07-26-2007 10:06 AM

Re: 7-Footers shooting 3s
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brunch@Five
so you wouldn't have a problem with Dirk shooting 3's if he was 6'7, despite being a worse player? :hammerhead:
Dirk is playing the way it suits him best, the way he can bring the best performance. That includes shooting the 3, because, frankly, he is one of the best outside shooters in the whole damn league.


I don't have a problem with Dirk. Like I said he can create mismatches and extend the range. My point is he is not the guy that can carry the load, he even admitted he needs an inside precense. Every team does. Just like they need someone to extend the range, which is what Dirk does. Dallas made a mistake when thinking that Dirk was the right guy to surround with role players. And lets not be dumb and take the bad 6-7 player over the good not great 7 footer.:confusedshrug:


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:33 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy