Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Miami Heat Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   YAO Best Center in the NBA? (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50776)

steve franchise 07-26-2007 09:46 AM

YAO Best Center in the NBA?

07-08 season: Is Yao the best center in the NBA?
List of great centers: Shaq, Stoudemire, Yao. As you can see the list is short. Out of these centers Yao Ming was the greatest scorer in the passed season. He even dominated Shaq when they played one on one. Stoudamaire needs to learn how to created hiw own shot, not depending on Nash too much. Going back to Shaq, when he faced Yao he was embarrassed. For the first time the against center outscored him by more than 20 points. Yao scored 36 pts and and grabbed 14 rebounds. I don't think that the Shaq and Yao rivalry exists anymore, Shaq is not a match one on one. I know that for most of his careeer he was the most dominant center and he even brought a ring to Miami but those times have changed, he didn't step up against the Bulls. The Bulls! Their center was Ben Wallace (6-9 height). Yao averaged more points than Shaq and Stoudemire and grabed around the same rebounds as Stoudemire. The 7 ft athletic guy is not there anymore. That's my opinion. is up to yall to decide who is the most dominant center.

TarHeelBorn 07-26-2007 03:02 PM

Re: YAO Best Center in the NBA?

You could throw Duncan into that mix. He could have always been a center but he started out in SA next to David Robinson so no one really considers him to be on. But he played a lot of center this year, did he not?

You can't rule out Camby. He isn't a scorer but he was the DPOY. People tend to connect offense with greatness, but not defense.

And Dwight Howard is a beast, he was just the only option on that team, unlike Yoa, Shaq, STAT, and Duncan. It might be too early to call him the best center in the NBA but he will be, no doubt. Especially now that he and Rashard Lewis will have an inside, out game going like all the other top centers you mentioned. Plus, he is only 21....

You are also really under-estimating Shaq. He was hurt a lot this year. No, he is not the player he once was but assuming Yoa will dominate him from here on out is just silly. And knocking him b/c of the match-up against Ben Wallace isn't a great arguing point considering how good of a defender Wallace is. Those two have been battling for years. It doesn't matter for a second that Wallace is 6'9".

Plus, when you get in to all of these "best" or "greatest" arguments, you have to weigh the playoffs. In that case, Yao gets dominated by Duncan and Shaq, regardless of Miami losing in the first round this year.

steve franchise 07-26-2007 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TarHeelBorn
You could throw Duncan into that mix. He could have always been a center but he started out in SA next to David Robinson so no one really considers him to be on. But he played a lot of center this year, did he not?

You can't rule out Camby. He isn't a scorer but he was the DPOY. People tend to connect offense with greatness, but not defense.

And Dwight Howard is a beast, he was just the only option on that team, unlike Yoa, Shaq, STAT, and Duncan. It might be too early to call him the best center in the NBA but he will be, no doubt. Especially now that he and Rashard Lewis will have an inside, out game going like all the other top centers you mentioned. Plus, he is only 21....

You are also really under-estimating Shaq. He was hurt a lot this year. No, he is not the player he once was but assuming Yoa will dominate him from here on out is just silly. And knocking him b/c of the match-up against Ben Wallace isn't a great arguing point considering how good of a defender Wallace is. Those two have been battling for years. It doesn't matter for a second that Wallace is 6'9".

Plus, when you get in to all of these "best" or "greatest" arguments, you have to weigh the playoffs. In that case, Yao gets dominated by Duncan and Shaq, regardless of Miami losing in the first round this year.

I dont know about you but I think Shaqs past will not help him in the present. He WAS the best dominant center at one point. I am talking about the in coming season.07-08 It does matter that Wallace is 6-9, he is strong but very udersized. Centers with offensive skills in the paint win rings, thats why I didn' included Camby, but I sure forgot about Howard.He has a chance at being the dominant center. And if Shaq and YAO(notice how I spell it) would meet again Yao would crush him:no:

InfiniteBaskets 07-30-2007 04:38 PM

Right now I"d have to say Yao probably is the best center. He led them all in scoring and does some good things for the rockets. They definitely should've made it to the conf. finals, that part was unforunate.

EuroWise 08-01-2007 09:19 PM

Let's see Dwight Howard this season.
But Yao is going to suffer in he has to run next season in Addelman style.

luigi>mario 08-02-2007 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EuroWise
Let's see Dwight Howard this season.
But Yao is going to suffer in he has to run next season in Addelman style.

I think Yao will do just fine with Addelman. Remember his Kings, Bibby, Christie, Stojakovic would get up and down the court and play fast pace ball. Webber however was their half court set answer. Yao will fill that role nicely. I like the roster+Addelman approach.

As for now, Yao is the clear best center in the league, but there ought to be someone better than that for the BEST center award.