Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off the Court Lounge (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Vick agrees to plead guilty in dogfighting case (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53288)

gts 08-20-2007 03:14 PM

Vick agrees to plead guilty in dogfighting case
 
Quote:

RICHMOND, Va. -- Michael Vick's lawyer said Monday the NFL star will plead guilty to federal dogfighting conspiracy charges, putting the Atlanta Falcons quarterback's career in jeopardy and leaving him subject to a prison term.


The offense is punishable by up to five years in prison and a $250,000 fine, although federal sentencing guidelines most likely would call for less.

Prosecutors, who were seeking a prison term of 12 to 18 months, have yet to formally agree to the plea, a source told ESPN's Kelly Naqi.

"After consulting with his family over the weekend, Michael Vick asked that I announce today that he has reached an agreement with federal prosecutors regarding the charges pending against him," lead defense attorney Billy Martin said in a statement.

"Mr. Vick has agreed to enter a plea of guilty to those charges and to accept full responsibility for his actions and the mistakes he has made. Michael wishes to apologize again to everyone who has been hurt by this matter."

Vick's plea hearing will be Aug. 27, Martin said.

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell has barred Vick from the Falcons' training camp but has withheld further action while the league conducts its own investigation.

Vick is charged with conspiracy to travel in interstate commerce in aid of unlawful activities and conspiracy to sponsor a dog in an animal fighting venture.

Martin's announcement came as a grand jury that could add new charges met in private. Prosecutors had said that a superseding indictment was in the works, but Vick's plea all but means he will not face additional charges.

Three of Vick's original co-defendants already have pleaded guilty and agreed to testify against him if the case went to trial. Quanis Phillips of Atlanta and Purnell Peace of Virginia Beach signed statements saying Vick, 27, participated in executing at least eight underperforming dogs by various means, including drowning and hanging.

Phillips, Peace and Tony Taylor, who pleaded guilty last month, also said Vick provided virtually all of the gambling and operating funds for his "Bad Newz Kennels" operation in Surry County, Va., not far from Vick's hometown of Newport News.

The gambling allegations alone could trigger a lifetime ban under the NFL's personal conduct policy.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2983121

Kobe24 08-20-2007 03:25 PM

Re: Vick agrees to plead guilty in dogfighting case
 
Obviously the deal is good since he plead guilty. Won't serve anything close to 5 years. It won't even be a year.

John Starks 08-20-2007 03:31 PM

Re: Vick agrees to plead guilty in dogfighting case
 
I just don't get this whole thing...

Lets say you have all the money in the world. You have a good-for-nothing cousin who wants you to bankroll his shady business.

Is there any way you agree to dog-fighting? Wouldn't everyone be much happier if you just agreed to produce legal porn in the basement.

Hot girls v. rabid dogs.

I just don't get this.

GOBB 08-20-2007 03:32 PM

Re: Vick agrees to plead guilty in dogfighting case
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kobe24
Obviously the deal is good since he plead guilty. Won't serve anything close to 5 years. It won't even be a year.


WTF are you talkin about? Deal is good cause he pleaded guilty? You're all wrong, he pleaded guilty because of how much evidence the feds had. Ontop of his friends snitching on him. He was toast...going thru a trial he would potentially end up with more years as opposed to pleading guilty. And even him pleading guilty doesnt gurantee the JUDGE wont give him a sentence HE WANTS and not what Vick THINKS he will get via pleading.

The judge is known to be tough handing out sentence. Smarten up kid.

SoCalMike 08-20-2007 03:32 PM

Re: Vick agrees to plead guilty in dogfighting case
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by John Starks
I just don't get this whole thing...

Lets say you have all the money in the world. You have a good-for-nothing cousin who wants you to bankroll his shady business.

Is there any way you agree to dog-fighting? Wouldn't everyone be much happier if you just agreed to produce legal porn in the basement.

Hot girls v. rabid dogs.

I just don't get this.


Well, if you look at Marcus and Michael, they both are not the brightest obviously....


:pimp:

GOBB 08-20-2007 03:34 PM

Re: Vick agrees to plead guilty in dogfighting case
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by John Starks
I just don't get this whole thing...

Lets say you have all the money in the world. You have a good-for-nothing cousin who wants you to bankroll his shady business.

Is there any way you agree to dog-fighting? Wouldn't everyone be much happier if you just agreed to produce legal porn in the basement.

Hot girls v. rabid dogs.

I just don't get this.


Because Vick was involved with dog fighting for years. Its similar to gambling, the MMA craze...people enjoy dogs fighting and making a profit off of it. Also getting a "Rep" when you win or have dogs that kick others ass. Vick didnt think he would get caught...didnt think his peoples would snitch/dime him out. He was STUPID. All to it...its not for you to get.

gts 08-20-2007 03:37 PM

Re: Vick agrees to plead guilty in dogfighting case
 
Quote:

Vick didnt think he would get caught...didnt think his peoples would snitch/dime him out.
Barry Bonds buddy is better than Vicks buddies

Kobe24 08-20-2007 03:37 PM

Re: Vick agrees to plead guilty in dogfighting case
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by GOBB
WTF are you talkin about? Deal is good cause he pleaded guilty? You're all wrong, he pleaded guilty because of how much evidence the feds had. Ontop of his friends snitching on him. He was toast...going thru a trial he would potentially end up with more years as opposed to pleading guilty. And even him pleading guilty doesnt gurantee the JUDGE wont give him a sentence HE WANTS and not what Vick THINKS he will get via pleading.

The judge is known to be tough handing out sentence. Smarten up kid.


I implied that. When I said he pleaded guilty because the deal is good, I meant obviously better than him going through trial which is why he accepted it. But imo, he won't get a long sentence. Chill out.

GOBB 08-20-2007 03:39 PM

Re: Vick agrees to plead guilty in dogfighting case
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kobe24
I implied that. When I said he pleaded guilty because the deal is good, I meant obviously better than him going through trial which is why he accepted it. But imo, he won't get a long sentence. Chill out.


He might or he might not get a long sentence. He is at the judge's mercy.

Wait and see.

GOBB 08-20-2007 03:40 PM

Re: Vick agrees to plead guilty in dogfighting case
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by gts
Barry Bonds buddy is better than Vicks buddies


And his buddy is white and Vick's buddies are black. Go figure. :oldlol:

ndPac 08-20-2007 03:49 PM

Re: Vick agrees to plead guilty in dogfighting case
 
theyre saying hes gonna get 12-18 months, maybe a little more. . and yea, more and more people kept testifying against him so they took the plea before more worse and worse info kept coming up. now all the info they have is all that they get to decide his sentence with. .

Fu.ck Vick i hope he gets stabbed in prison well maybe not stabbled dont wanna wish death on someone but what an idiot i dont see how someone can take part in animal cruelty like that, espeically to dogs. it just really pisses me off, they should slam that fuc.kers face against the the ground like he did those dogs. . . i just never really can understand how people can do things like that to defenseless animals, its worse than harming people almost in my oppinion. .

too bad he'll most likely do the min sentence in a nice minimum security fed prison with his own tv and refrigerator and that will be it. . its amazing that someone with all the money in the world can be so stupid. . . the worlds fuc.kd up

GOBB 08-20-2007 03:54 PM

Re: Vick agrees to plead guilty in dogfighting case
 
Quote:

i just never really can understand how people can do things like that to defenseless animals, its worse than harming people almost in my oppinion. .

Humans life > Dogs life

Lets get our priorities in check and out emotions in order. Geeze

-primetime- 08-20-2007 03:57 PM

Re: Vick agrees to plead guilty in dogfighting case
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by GOBB
Humans life > Dogs life

Lets get our priorities in check and out emotions in order. Geeze

Dog's life > Vick's life

my priorities are in check

GOBB 08-20-2007 03:59 PM

Re: Vick agrees to plead guilty in dogfighting case
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by -primetime-
Dog's life > Vick's life

my priorities are in check


Coming from a Cowboys fans that a bit strange.

-primetime- 08-20-2007 04:07 PM

Re: Vick agrees to plead guilty in dogfighting case
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by GOBB
Coming from a Cowboys fans that a bit strange.

why...you think we kill dogs in Dallas everyday as a hobby or something?

or were you being sarcastic because hedoesn't play for the Cowboys?


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:10 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy