Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Utah Jazz Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   CJ Miles (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53418)

luigi>mario 08-21-2007 11:14 PM

CJ Miles

So I think I heard something about Miles probably not staying with Utah along with Araujo. Is that pretty sure or just speculation?

I remember LHM and Sloan would talk a lot about him positively. I doubt they would do that just to help him find another team. Whats the latest?

Chalkmaze 08-22-2007 01:52 AM

Re: CJ Miles

I think the Jazz are looking at their options. I wouldn't say Miles and Hoffa are completely out of the picture, but I think they are outside the building, and they'll call em back in if they feel the need.

CJ pretty much doomed himself when he decided not to play in the Rocky Mountain Review. The Jazz wanted to evaluate how he played before they decided on giving him a multi-year contract. Right now he's an unknown, and although they have liked some of the things he's done, he also appears like he might not be all that great at other times, they would have liked to have taken one other good look at him over the summer and see how he's progressed. Since he declined to participate, I think they decided that they'd decline too, at least for now. If they do decide to sign him, it's going to work in their favor, as they've shown they're not that thrilled with him, and that they'd only sign him for a minimal type of deal.

I'm not so sure Hoffa is entirely out of the picture... While it's true the Jazz now have 3 centers signed... with Memet, Collins, and Fez... They so loved Hoffa's work habits that they might give him one more chance, perhaps putting fez in the NBDL most of the time, and playing Hoffa the rest. It seems Fez is a project, and they might want someone with a bit more experience, and Hoffa is also from BYU, and a lot of the fans like him, the coaches etc... So I think there is a small chance that he stays. But it depends on what other moves the Jazz are looking to make. We'll have to wait and see..

Heretik32 08-22-2007 05:21 AM

It always baffles me how unproven players can decide NOT to showcase their talent to their team. I mean, he should've known it's time for him to step up and prove his motivation?

luigi>mario 08-22-2007 07:30 PM

I heard his agent told him not to play in the RMR. I guess after a few starts you might think you don't have anything to prove...but he really does.

I keep on hearing he has the total package on the offensive end but I haven't seen it, granted I missed the first part of the season. I can't wait till we have a solid starter that everyone can get behind.

Chalkmaze 08-22-2007 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luigi>mario
I heard his agent told him not to play in the RMR. I guess after a few starts you might think you don't have anything to prove...but he really does.

I keep on hearing he has the total package on the offensive end but I haven't seen it, granted I missed the first part of the season. I can't wait till we have a solid starter that everyone can get behind.

Yeah, and he didn't start because he was playing better than one of the quality guards in the league, he only started because Sloan wasn't satisfied with what he had, and was searching to see if someone else could compete for him. Miles was given an opportunity, and he proved he wasn't ready.

CakeorDeath 08-23-2007 10:53 PM

News update today in the salt lake tribune reports that Miles wants to stay in Utah. I wonder if this was always the case or if C.J. is just shook that it is nearly September and he doesn't yet have an NBA contract.

Wouldn't mind if he came back; kid has a nice offensive game and could turn into something decent.

If only we could mold Miles, Almond, and Brewer into one player. Like the transformer toys where you combined like 6 robots into one uber-robot.

Chalkmaze 08-24-2007 02:30 AM

I think Miles always wanted to stay... the ball is in the Jazz's court though... they hold all the cards... they can do what they want.. no pressure...

And they can sign Miles.. but you have to remember they still have a bunch of guys at that spot... Miles may turn out to be ok.. he's so young you stil don't know what he'll become... but they've already got so many fairly promising guys that I don't know if they need another one... I think he's a bit like a Sasha Povavich type... pretty good... but not better than giracek or anything... but time will tell... I think I'd rather see them give a lot of time to Brewer, Almond, and work in Ronnie Price, and then go get another big guy... Cuz if Miles is just gonna be sorta good, then I don't think the Jazz should keep him... It's really hard to judge right now... CJ is still maturing... shows signs that he could become pretty good... but I don't know that he's the next Ray Allen.... who knows though...

Chalkmaze 08-24-2007 11:45 AM

Say goodbye to Araujo for at least one year...

Jazz: Araujo headed to Russia
Center signs on to play a significant role with Spartak St. Petersburg

There was just one problem with the contract Rafael Araujo was first delivered by the Russian team Spartak St. Petersburg: It called for a driver to be available to the former Jazz center from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m., a mere 12 hours every day.
As agent Diron Ohanian told the story, Araujo immediately realized that wasn't going to work. How would he be able to continue his routine of arriving at the gym hours before practice? How would he work out early on days his team didn't practice at all?
The contract was reworked, Araujo was given a driver from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m., and Ohanian could only laugh. "You'd think some guys would say, '10 o'clock at night? I want to go out,' '' he said. "Hoffa's just the opposite. He wants to get out of the house and go to work."
Araujo officially signed a one-year deal with the Russian Superleague team - the same team with which a 15-year-old Andrei Kirilenko once played his first professional game - and will put his NBA career on hold three years after he was drafted out of Brigham Young.
The Jazz were willing to invite Araujo to training camp on a non-guaranteed contract but encouraged him to explore options in Europe. With the signing of second-round pick Kyrylo Fesenko, though, Araujo no longer was in the plans as the No. 3 center.
"It's going to be a year-by-year thing,'' Ohanian said. "If next summer comes along and there's a
Advertisement

[NBA] team that's looking for a guy like him and to use him, I'm sure he'd be open to it."
The opportunity presented in St. Petersburg, where Araujo was guaranteed a starting job, a handsome paycheck and the chance to develop as a player, outweighed the possibility of making an NBA roster and spending another season on the bench.
Araujo's representatives first started talking to Spartak about a week and a half ago and finalized the deal Thursday. He is due to join the team in September and attend training camp in Lithuania.
Araujo played in 28 games last season with the Jazz and saw at least 10 minutes of action just 10 times. His role, as Ohanian jokingly described it, was to "sit for 10 games and then be expected to guard Tim Duncan man-to-man."
"He absolutely loves the game of basketball - he loves it - and he really wants to play,'' Ohanian added. "This was an opportunity for him to start, an opportunity to play big minutes, and he was excited about that."
Jazz senior vice president of basketball operations Kevin O'Connor was away on vacation and unavailable to comment.
Ohanian said there was interest in Araujo all summer. The first team to call at the start of free agency July 1 was San Antonio, confirming to Ohanian that the defending champions saw something in a player so often labeled a draft bust.
One NBA general manager, Ohanian said, described Araujo as an "acquired taste,'' a player he grew to appreciate for setting screens, boxing out and bodying up on defense. That, in turn, eliminated the need to double-team in the post.
But that general manager's team already had the maximum 15 players with guaranteed contracts. And Araujo didn't want to risk going to training camp and getting released at the end of October with limited options available in America or Europe.
The Russian league, meanwhile, has the centers to bring out the physical best in Araujo, who struggled to live up to expectations after being drafted No. 8 overall in 2004 by Toronto.
"We were looking for a league with big guys in it,'' Ohanian said. "We didn't want him to play in a league with a bunch of 6-9 guys. The Russian league seemed to have a fair number of big guys in it, so it looked like a good place for him to develop."
The hope is Araujo finally will be able to translate his hours in the weight room and on the practice court into playing time. Agent Jim McDowell said Araujo's "ultimate goal" was to come back to the NBA but his foremost goal was getting comfortable on the court again.
"When a guy's willing to work that hard,'' Ohanian added, "you have to think good things are going to happen for him."

cyco127 08-24-2007 02:13 PM

Quote:

Say goodbye to Araujo for at least one year...

Bye Hoffa...

luigi>mario 08-26-2007 09:32 PM

Is there anyone else that believes Araujo was a victim of bad officiating?

I think he got the traditional rookie "welcome to the league" bad calls, and eventually just got the label as a player prone to offensive and defensive fouls. I mean, he doesn't do anything shaq doesn't do, and they really should be held to at least a similar level.

Maybe he can get the minutes he needs overseas.

CakeorDeath 08-27-2007 05:28 PM

Quote:

Is there anyone else that believes Araujo was a victim of bad officiating?

When you are as ripped as he is and you don't ever move your feet on defense, you're gonna foul out of a lot of games.

luigi>mario 09-07-2007 01:51 PM

So it looks like CJ is playing here this year. Call me crazy, but it looks like we could use an injury at the 2 spot this year.

cyco127 09-07-2007 02:01 PM

Aw c'mon L>M we don't need any injuries... CJ just needs to prove something.

luigi>mario 09-07-2007 11:28 PM

yeah... you're probably right.

I just get frustrated seeing so many guys get through Utah without any playing time to speak of. I mean, look at that NBA center who played in teh FIBA tourny...i think it was batista. He was a monster in Internation play...I think he is like third string for atlanta if i am thinking of the right guy. Sure the game is different, but some of that ought ot transfer to the NBA game. I say he just needs playing time. I think miles/brewer/almond could actually be what we want one of them to be if Sloan chose one and gave him 24 mpg for 40 games.

Chalkmaze 09-08-2007 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luigi>mario
So it looks like CJ is playing here this year. Call me crazy, but it looks like we could use an injury at the 2 spot this year.

Or our NBDL is gonna be stacked... Perhaps it's time to jump on the bandwagon and become an NBDL fan... forgot what their name was already though hehe.