Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   NBA Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   team of the 80's (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54014)

sick_brah07 08-29-2007 02:42 AM

team of the 80's

give me ur thoughts of the team of the 80s i reckon MJ deserves to be the SG in the 80's and 90's

L.Kizzle 08-29-2007 03:02 AM

Re: team of the 80's

Here is my squad.

STARTERS
C Kareem Abdul Jabbar
PF Kevin McHale
SF Larry Bird
SG Sidney Moncrief
PG Magic Johnson

RESERVES
C Moses Malone
F Dominique Wilkins
F Julius Erving
G Michael Jordan
G Isiah Thomas

C Akeem Olajuwon
F Alex English

:Robert Parish and Dennis Johnson were very close. It was really tough between King and English:

Force 08-29-2007 03:14 AM

Just give me the Showtime Lakers and I'll be satisfied.

Moncrief was a good one...but the only reason you have him starting over MJ23 has to be because you wan't to even out the talent off of the bench right??? right???

Shep 08-29-2007 03:56 AM

you'll have your official team of the 80's in a week or two

disco 08-29-2007 04:22 AM

MJ has to be in both the 80s and 90s team. Moncrief was good, but not an all-decade 1st teamer.

I'll go with:

G MJ
G Magic
F Bird
F Dr J
C Kareem

G Zeke
G Gervin (qualifies as a guard too. He made all-nba team several times as a guard)
F Wilkins
F B.King
C M.Malone

Aussie Dunker 08-29-2007 05:33 AM

if you score the most points in a decade and you are left of the all-decade team, youd probably be pretty disapointed... poor Alex..

disco 08-29-2007 05:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aussie Dunker
if you score the most points in a decade and you are left of the all-decade team, youd probably be pretty disapointed... poor Alex..

It's a matter of taste which two forwards you choose from King, Wilkins, English. Bird and Dr J should definitely be in.

kentatm 08-29-2007 08:13 AM

I think I would have Rolando Blackman before I had Moncrief

disco 08-29-2007 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kentatm

I don't think Blackman should really be up there. He was good, but with no all-nba selections, how would he be in all-decade team?

dejordan 08-29-2007 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by disco
MJ has to be in both the 80s and 90s team. Moncrief was good, but not an all-decade 1st teamer.

I'll go with:

G MJ
G Magic
F Bird
F Dr J
C Kareem

G Zeke
G Gervin (qualifies as a guard too. He made all-nba team several times as a guard)
F Wilkins
F B.King
C M.Malone

first team looks fine, though i might switch kareem with moses. it's close though. i would definitely take out nique and put in charles. charles was making all-nba first teams in the 80s (think he made three of them). i might replace king with mchale too. personal preference for the more rounded, dominant low post scorer / defender and three time champ over the phenominal pure scorer.

VCMVP1551 08-29-2007 09:23 AM

Moncreif was good but Drexler was better than him too.

80's
PG Magic Johnson
SG Michael Jordan
SF Larry Bird
PF Karl Malone
C Kareem Abdul Jabbar

90's
PG John Stockton
SG Michael Jordan
SF Scottie Pippen
PF Karl Malone
C Hakeem Olajuwon

otmtheshank 08-29-2007 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kentatm

Why would you rather have Blackman over Moncrief. Moncrief did EVERYTHING better. He scored at an equal rate to Rolando, but was a more efficient offensive player. His defense was miles ahead of Rolando's. He had better team success, and the only thing Rolando has on him is longevity. He was just a better overall player than Rolando was.

Magic Johnson
Michael Jordan
Larry Bird
Moses Malone
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Isiah Thomas
Sidney Moncrief
Alex English
Julius Erving
Dominique Wilkins
Kevin McHale
Hakeem Olajuwan

Charles Barkley(can't remember what he did in the 80's),Bernard King, and Terry Cummings were some of the Snubs.

I might have accidently overlooked a couple players. I wanted to put Moses on the first team, but I might switch him with a forward to get a traditional line-up.

dejordan 08-29-2007 10:24 AM

here are a few reasons to give charles barkley a spot on the all-80s second team:

85 - all rookie team
86 - all-nba 2nd team
87 - all-nba 2nd team
88 - all-nba 1st team
89 - all-nba 1st team

87, 88, and 89 all star

Averages:

1986 - 20pts, 13brds, 4assts top 6 fg%
1987 - 23pts, 15brds (led league), 5assts top 3fg%
1988 - 28pts, 12brds, 3assts top 3fg%
1989 - 26pts, 12.5brds, 4assts top 2fg%

always had around 1.5 - 2 steals and 1 to 1.5 blocks
made the conference finals one year and never missed the playoffs

malone played one less season, had lower stats across the board and made 2 fewer all-nba teams (just talking about the 80s of course).

bernard king had literally 1 season (85) where he measured up statistically, and he only played 55 games that year. he made 1 less all-nba team and had less success in the playoffs.

dominique is closer. he was putting up great numbers regularly, was healthy, made 4 all nba teams (though one was 3rd team and only one was 1st team) and though he had less playoff success in total, he didn't have quite as good a team as chuck did his first couple of years.

mchale lags behind all the others in total production and individual awards because he played on a great team and wasn't the featured first option. he was the second best player on 3 title teams, a 7 time all defense selection, 2 time 6th man of the year, led the league in fg% twice, became the only player in league history to shoot 60% from the field and 80% from the line in the same season (1987 - 26 pts / gm on 17 shots w/ 10 brds) and was a 5 time all-star.

Optimus Prime 08-29-2007 10:26 AM

Magic
Jordan
Bird
Karl Malone
Hakeem

Chalkmaze 08-29-2007 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Optimus Prime
Magic