Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   NBA Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Let's talk about LeBron with a consistent jumper...what would it do for his game? (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54056)

Valiant Valor 08-29-2007 05:45 PM

Let's talk about LeBron with a consistent jumper...what would it do for his game?
 
Watching these USA games has got me salivating for the upcoming season. Could you imagine LeBron over 82 games with anywhere close to the jumpshot he's so far displayed in this tournament?

And what really sticks out to me other than the fact he's making them, is how he's making them. He's doing it off the dribble, but more importantly, he doing from a catch-and-shoot position as well.

So what do you think, what would it do for this guys game?

Richie2k6 08-29-2007 06:07 PM

Re: Let's talk about LeBron with a consistent jumper...what would it do for his game?
 
It would make him the GOAT.












Nah, but it will make his game more complete. A consistent jumper is what he's been lacking, and without that, and the urge to sometimes not want to drive but rather shoot jumpers all day, wasn't a good thing. I won't say it's consistent until I see it in the regular season against NBA defense, and if he makes more difficult shots, has more confidence in his shot, and if his 3PT% goes up.

2LeTTeRS KD 08-29-2007 06:08 PM

Re: Let's talk about LeBron with a consistent jumper...what would it do for his game?
 
Honestly he goes through periods sometimse weeks at a time when his jumper is consistent and he really is not any better. He starts relying on it too much and going away from the real strenghts of his game. The 2 things he really needs to work on to really become a more complete player is his offensive game in the post and defense.

WADE MONEY 08-29-2007 06:15 PM

Re: Let's talk about LeBron with a consistent jumper...what would it do for his game?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by 2LeTTeRS KD
Honestly he goes through periods sometimse weeks at a time when his jumper is consistent and he really is not any better. He starts relying on it too much and going away from the real strenghts of his game. The 2 things he really needs to work on to really become a more complete player is his offensive game in the post and defense.


I think he is already a great post player. His jumper is precisely what he needs to work on, so that defenders like Bowen don't sag off him on the perimeter and then clump in the paint so that he'll have a hard time driving. Without a jumper, Lebron's excellent penetration skills are somewhat nullified.

This is precisely why players like Kobe and first threepeat jordan were so unstoppable: because if you cover them tight on the perimeter, they'll drive right past you and dunk it (something Lebron is VERY capable of doing), and if you sag, they'll hit the open J 8 times out of 10 (something Lebron needs to work on BADLY).

Cannonball 08-29-2007 06:18 PM

Re: Let's talk about LeBron with a consistent jumper...what would it do for his game?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by WADE MONEY
I think he is already a great post player. His jumper is precisely what he needs to work on, so that defenders like Bowen don't sag off him on the perimeter and then clump in the paint so that he'll have a hard time driving. Without a jumper, Lebron's excellent penetration skills are somewhat nullified.

This is precisely why players like Kobe and first threepeat jordan were so unstoppable: because if you cover them tight on the perimeter, they'll drive right past you and dunk it (something Lebron is VERY capable of doing), and if you sag, they'll hit the open J 8 times out of 10 (something Lebron needs to work on BADLY).


Yes.

Thorpesaurous 08-29-2007 06:18 PM

Re: Let's talk about LeBron with a consistent jumper...what would it do for his game?
 
Quote:

Honestly he goes through periods sometimse weeks at a time when his jumper is consistent and he really is not any better. He starts relying on it too much and going away from the real strenghts of his game. The 2 things he really needs to work on to really become a more complete player is his offensive game in the post and defense.

Good post.

If he used the jumper to draw defenders close, where he could exploit his strength by getting a body on them and riding them into the hoop, but I just don't see that happening. For starters, your right, he's already too content to rise up and shoot as it is. And secondly, how good a shooter would he have to become for teams and defenders to think it's wise to press up on him.

And the post play is huge for me. I think he'll be helped once Z retires. He's not a bad player, but he's an awfull fit with Lebron. They just can't do much because they're short on overall talent, so they have to use him. He clogs the driving lanes, and occupies the post spot Lebron should be in when SF are guarding him.

xxxSuperStar 08-29-2007 06:18 PM

Re: Let's talk about LeBron with a consistent jumper...what would it do for his game?
 
Instead of 28, 7 and 6 on 48% shooting

he'd do

34, 7 and 8.5 on 50%+ shooting.

Richie2k6 08-29-2007 06:21 PM

Re: Let's talk about LeBron with a consistent jumper...what would it do for his game?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by xxxSuperStar
Instead of 28, 7 and 6 on 48% shooting

he'd do

34, 7 and 8.5 on 50%+ shooting.

You're kidding, right?

2LeTTeRS KD 08-29-2007 06:25 PM

Re: Let's talk about LeBron with a consistent jumper...what would it do for his game?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by xxxSuperStar
Instead of 28, 7 and 6 on 48% shooting

he'd do

34, 7 and 8.5 on 50%+ shooting.


when people assume he'd get that much better I get confused. Did Vince get much better as he got a better J? Jordan? Kobe? T Mac? Their percentages and stats stayed about the same. Alot of them stopped attacking the basket as much and fall in love with their J when their slashing ability and athleticism is what got them in the league. And especially for all the talk about how bad of a shooter Bron is, he shoots as good from 3 as the other premier swingmen, while shooting a better percentage overall.

With the specimen LeBron is you have to think do you prefer him to be 20-25 ft from the basket shooting jumpers or shooting from 10 ft and in? Me personally I prefer the close buckets and honestly don't want LeBron to ever take more than the 4 3s a game he took this year. He's most effective either slashing to the basket or using his 250 lb frame to overpower and outquick defenders than trying to shoot over them.

Optimus Prime 08-29-2007 06:27 PM

Re: Let's talk about LeBron with a consistent jumper...what would it do for his game?
 
This thread has Lebron23 written all over it.

Where is he?! Is there no Wiki on LeBron's jumpshot?

:confusedshrug:

xxxSuperStar 08-29-2007 06:37 PM

Re: Let's talk about LeBron with a consistent jumper...what would it do for his game?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Richie2k6
You're kidding, right?


No, not really. Considering he STILL has room to get better, those stats wouldn't surprise me in the least. Kobe is 29, came out of HS and JUST is in his prime. Lebron is 22, and has many years to go before he gets there.

Scoring 30+ will happen again and adding 1.5 APG (when he actually gets good teammates) isn't out of the question. His teammates now miss 10 shots a game from wide open looks LeBron gives them.

As far as his shooting %, I always see him attacking the basket. He won't shoot 50% (that was kidding), but he will always shoot high 40s%.

MaxFly 08-29-2007 06:40 PM

Re: Let's talk about LeBron with a consistent jumper...what would it do for his game?
 
It's great to see Lebron's consistent stroke from mid range. He's certainly come a long way since May and June. It will be interesting to see if he can maintain it during the season.

Richie2k6 08-29-2007 06:41 PM

Re: Let's talk about LeBron with a consistent jumper...what would it do for his game?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by xxxSuperStar
No, not really. Considering he STILL has room to get better, those stats wouldn't surprise me in the least. Kobe is 29, came out of HS and JUST is in his prime. Lebron is 22, and has many years to go before he gets there.

Scoring 30+ will happen again and adding 1.5 APG (when he actually gets good teammates) isn't out of the question. His teammates now miss 10 shots a game from wide open looks LeBron gives them.

As far as his shooting %, I always see him attacking the basket. He won't shoot 50% (that was kidding), but he will always shoot high 40s%.

How many players have ever averaged 34/8? The 34 might happen at some point in his career, but I don't see the 8 assists happening. Eventually he will have a good point guard so he doesn't have to be a playmaker. I see him putting up 30/7/5 in his prime when he gets a solid playmaking point guard. 8.5? A bit of a push.

xxxSuperStar 08-29-2007 06:42 PM

Re: Let's talk about LeBron with a consistent jumper...what would it do for his game?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by 2LeTTeRS KD
when people assume he'd get that much better I get confused. Did Vince get much better as he got a better J? Jordan? Kobe? T Mac? Their percentages and stats stayed about the same. Alot of them stopped attacking the basket as much and fall in love with their J when their slashing ability and athleticism is what got them in the league. And especially for all the talk about how bad of a shooter Bron is, he shoots as good from 3 as the other premier swingmen, while shooting a better percentage overall.


I was joking. No matter how good a jump shooter you become, the more you take, the more your fg% will go down. That is true of all the players you listed.

I can say, I wish people like T-Mac and Vince, even Kobe, would rely on the J less. Jordan, even though he developed a jumper, never stopped attacking the basket on a regular basis hence a 50% career shooting percentage (even factoring in those last Wizards years, where all he did was shoot from the outside).

I DO think it would increase his scoring average as now people play a step or two off him and double him constantly. If he could bury that J with consistency, he'd be getting layup after layup or find open teammates as the D collapsed.

GOBB 08-29-2007 06:44 PM

Re: Let's talk about LeBron with a consistent jumper...what would it do for his game?
 
If he had a better and more consistent midrange game to go with the rest of his game (kid has range deep/consistent, attacking basket/consistent)? He would be ridiculously insane. Also shoot better FTs.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:47 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy