Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   NBA Draft Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   2nd Round Draft Steals [1989-present] (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5545)

myzt52 07-18-2006 03:55 AM

2nd Round Draft Steals [1989-present]
 
Who do you guys think are the best 2nd round picks of all time (Between 1989 to present)...[before 1989..they used to have three rounds..not two...]?

On thing you have to realize..is teams draft players in the 2nd round with potential.. Over 90% of them will never end up playing real minutes in the NBA...so theyre just hopeing to get a steal or a player that may actually contribute to the team...

Here are my 2nd round steals..if they are in (parenthasis) that means they were a decent pick that will actually play real minutes in the NBA..if they are NOT in (parenthasis) then it was a great pick that will play starter minutes.:

[My best are: 1) 1998, 2) 2001, 3) 2000 4) 1990 5) 1992]

2005: umm...

2004: Anderson Varejao, Chris Duhon

2003: No one amazing (some "o.k." steals: Jason Kapono, Steve Blake, Keith Bogans, Matt Bonner)

2002: Carlos Boozer (Ronald "Flip" Murray, Rasaul Butler)

2001: Gilbert Arenas, Mehmet Okur (Trenton Hassel, Earl Watson)

2000: Michael Redd, Marco Jaric (Eddie House, Jake Voshkuhl, Eduardo Nahera, Brian Cardinal)

1999: (Gordon Giricek)

1998: Rashard Lewis, Refer Alston, Cuttino Mobley, (Ruben Patterson, Jalani McCoy, Jerome James, Shammond Williams, Jahidi White)

1997: (Marc Jackson)

1996: (Othella Harrington, Jeff Mcinnis, Moochie Norris, Malik Rose, Shandon Anderson)

1995: (Fred Hoiberg, Andrew DeClercq)

1994: (Howard Eisley, Voshon Lenard, Zeljko Rebraca )

1993: (Lucious Harris)

1992: P.J. Brown, Matt Geiger, (Brent Price, Sean Rooks)


1991: (Isaac Austin)

1990: Tony Kukoc, Antonio Davis (Greg Foster, Jud Buechler , Bimbo Coles [his name alone provided entertainment], Derek Strong, Cedric Ceballos )

1989: Cliff Robinson

Honorary Mention:
1988: Steve Kerr (2nd Round)

disco 07-18-2006 11:16 AM

.
 
1989: Cliff Robinson was definitely a steal. So were Dino Radja and Doug West

1990:Toni Kukoc ended up as the best 2nd rounder, but it is easy to see why so many teams let him slip. He was earning more in Europe than he could have in Europe, and there were no guarantees he would ever play in nba. All the ones you mentioned were good picks.

1991: A weak second round. Austin had a couple of nice seasons, but not exactly a steal. Dumas and Phills were the 2 best 2nd rounders selected, but their careers were cut short.

1992: This was one of the deepest drafts ever, but surprisingly few second rounders became really good. P.J. Brown was probably the biggest steal.

1993: Nick Van Exel. One of the biggest 2nd round steals of the decade.

1994: Weak second round. Voshon Lenard at was a nice late 2nd round pick.

1995: Eric Snow. Even though Seattle didn't gain anything for this pick.

1996: Another deep draft. Malik Rose, Shandon Anderson, Jeff McInnis and Othella Harrington the best second rounders. BTW, Golden State drafted Todd Fuller ahead of KObe, Peja, Nash, J.O'Neal and Ilgauskas in the first round.

1997: One of the weakest drafts in the 90s. Alvin Williams, Marc Jackson and Anthony JOhnson were the only ones worth mentioning.

1998: Rashard Lewis, Cuttino Mobley, Greg Buckner, Ruben Patterson, Rafer Alston. A nice second round

1999: Not much here really, except Ginobili.

2000: Redd!! The second biggest 2nd round steal of the decade

2001: Arenas!!! The biggest 2nd round steal of the decade

2002: Boozer. Scola may end up a steal if he decides to play in NBA

2003: Not much here. KOrver, Maurice Williams, Pachulia, Luke Walton, Willie Green, Bogans and Blake have done ok, but don't expect them to be around very long.

2004: Varejao

2005: Too early to say.

2006: Too early to say.

Lebron23 12-01-2007 11:51 AM

Re: 2nd Round Draft Steals [1989-present]
 
2006 NBA Draft

Daniel " Boobie" Gibson- 2nd round, 42nd overall, 2006
Cleveland Cavaliers


gyu 12-01-2007 05:03 PM

Re: 2nd Round Draft Steals [1989-present]
 
I never understood why people thought Varejao was any good.

marny_navis 12-02-2007 12:02 AM

Re: 2nd Round Draft Steals [1989-present]
 
Varajao pisses me off, he's such a floppy fish.

ILuvThisGame 12-02-2007 05:59 PM

Re: .
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by disco
2003: Not much here. KOrver, Maurice Williams, Pachulia, Luke Walton, Willie Green, Bogans and Blake have done ok, but don't expect them to be around very long.


All these guys are playing prominent roles on teams. Mo Williams is definitely the best out of this group.... he has the chance to be a starting point for quite a while

J_Rock3ts 12-03-2007 02:01 AM

Re: 2nd Round Draft Steals [1989-present]
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by myzt52
Who do you guys think are the best 2nd round picks of all time (Between 1989 to present)...[before 1989..they used to have three rounds..not two...]?

On thing you have to realize..is teams draft players in the 2nd round with potential.. Over 90% of them will never end up playing real minutes in the NBA...so theyre just hopeing to get a steal or a player that may actually contribute to the team...

Here are my 2nd round steals..if they are in (parenthasis) that means they were a decent pick that will actually play real minutes in the NBA..if they are NOT in (parenthasis) then it was a great pick that will play starter minutes.:

[My best are: 1) 1998, 2) 2001, 3) 2000 4) 1990 5) 1992]

2005: umm...

2004: Anderson Varejao, Chris Duhon

2003: No one amazing (some "o.k." steals: Jason Kapono, Steve Blake, Keith Bogans, Matt Bonner)

2002: Carlos Boozer (Ronald "Flip" Murray, Rasaul Butler)

2001: Gilbert Arenas, Mehmet Okur (Trenton Hassel, Earl Watson)

2000: Michael Redd, Marco Jaric (Eddie House, Jake Voshkuhl, Eduardo Nahera, Brian Cardinal)

1999: (Gordon Giricek)

1998: Rashard Lewis, Refer Alston, Cuttino Mobley, (Ruben Patterson, Jalani McCoy, Jerome James, Shammond Williams, Jahidi White)

1997: (Marc Jackson)

1996: (Othella Harrington, Jeff Mcinnis, Moochie Norris, Malik Rose, Shandon Anderson)

1995: (Fred Hoiberg, Andrew DeClercq)

1994: (Howard Eisley, Voshon Lenard, Zeljko Rebraca )

1993: (Lucious Harris)

1992: P.J. Brown, Matt Geiger, (Brent Price, Sean Rooks)


1991: (Isaac Austin)

1990: Tony Kukoc, Antonio Davis (Greg Foster, Jud Buechler , Bimbo Coles [his name alone provided entertainment], Derek Strong, Cedric Ceballos )

1989: Cliff Robinson

Honorary Mention:
1988: Steve Kerr (2nd Round)



1999 - No Ginobili? He was the 57th pick of that years draft.

jamal99 12-12-2007 02:30 PM

Re: 2nd Round Draft Steals [1989-present]
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by J_Rock3ts
1999 - No Ginobili? He was the 57th pick of that years draft.

Ginobili - 57th pick??
Bad scouting!!!

jamal99 12-12-2007 02:31 PM

Re: 2nd Round Draft Steals [1989-present]
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by myzt52
2000: Michael Redd, Marco Jaric (Eddie House, Jake Voshkuhl, Eduardo Nahera, Brian Cardinal)


Marko Jaric was 1st rounder!

marny_navis 12-12-2007 08:43 PM

Re: 2nd Round Draft Steals [1989-present]
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamal99
Marko Jaric was 1st rounder!


No, 2nd round, 1st pick.

berraco 12-13-2007 01:30 PM

Re: 2nd Round Draft Steals [1989-present]
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by myzt52
Here are my 2nd round steals..if they are in (parenthasis) that means they were a decent pick that will actually play real minutes in the NBA..if they are NOT in (parenthasis) then it was a great pick that will play starter minutes.:

2000: Michael Redd, Marco Jaric (Eddie House, Jake Voshkuhl, Eduardo Nahera, Brian Cardinal)



Take out Cardinal. He doesn't play real minutes in the NBA. In fact, he doesn't know how to play basketball...:banghead:

Good list, I would swap your options 3) and 4) though. 1990 has a better shot to be the 3rd IMO.

jamal99 12-13-2007 06:06 PM

Re: 2nd Round Draft Steals [1989-present]
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by marny_navis
No, 2nd round, 1st pick.


Well...., maybe...

marny_navis 12-13-2007 09:38 PM

Re: 2nd Round Draft Steals [1989-present]
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamal99
Well...., maybe...



lol close enough to 1st rounnd tho

catzhernandez 12-15-2007 06:56 PM

Re: 2nd Round Draft Steals [1989-present]
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by marny_navis
No, 2nd round, 1st pick.

OWNAGE

otmtheshank 12-15-2007 10:24 PM

Re: 2nd Round Draft Steals [1989-present]
 
2005 had Monta Ellis, Ronny Turiaf, Andray Blatche, Bass, Ilyasova, Ryan Gomes, Louis Williams and Amir Johnson. Only a couple are actually good at the moment, but many of them have great potential.

And then looking at the undrafted players from '05,
Jose Calderon
Azubuike
Chuck Hayes
Shavlik Randolph
Randolph Morris

Calderon, Azubuike, and Hayes all are solid players. A team composed of undrafted players from 05 may actually be able to beat the 2nd round players.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:53 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy