Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   NBA Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   which team have the most underrated young talent (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56599)

justafan 09-22-2007 01:39 PM

which team have the most underrated young talent

Which teams have the most underrated young talent?
I personally think it's the pistons. No one ever talks about the young guys on that team because they still have some really good veterans I actually love the youngsters they have. Maxiell will never be an all star but whenever he gets minutes I've always been really impressed with his play. If given a consistent 30min a game I think he could give you around 15pts, 10rbs and 2blks. Amir Johnson is the guy that has star potential imo because his blend of size, athleticism and skills will make him a matchup nightmare down the line. He's also grown a couple inches since he got into the league and is a legit 6'10" now. If he went to college I'd pretty much guarantee that he would have been a top 5 pick last year. Then you have Stuckey and Afflalo who are both good young prospects but especially Stuckey. It was only summer league but I love the way he plays and I think he'll be more than capable of playing the pg in this league.

LBJ 4 MVP 09-22-2007 01:43 PM

Re: which team have the most underrated young talent

Toronto's still under-rated for some reason, and the entire team's young.

Perezident 09-22-2007 01:47 PM

when u say young talent, you have to mention the Sacramento Kings imo

the young players who are on that team are very! under rated

Kevin Martin
Cisco
Salmons
Douby
Justin
Hawes
Shakur
Darryl Watkins......and this is almost our whole team :D :banana:

bomber 09-22-2007 02:36 PM

Pistons are rated just right.

boozehound 09-22-2007 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perezident
Salmons

agree with most of the rest, but can Salmons really be considered up and coming young talent anymore? Hes signed his big mid-career contract already.

boozehound 09-22-2007 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bomber

depends on whose doing the rating. The TSN review (posted in the pistons forum) doesnt even mention these guys, but focuses on the nazr vs dice starting position. On the other hand, SI has been hyping Amir considerably and stuckey has been getting love from all over.

Make It Rain 09-22-2007 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LBJ 4 MVP
Toronto's still under-rated for some reason, and the entire team's young.

I think Toronto's overrated. Before the Boston deal, people thought Toronto was gonna run away with the Atlantic again when last year was probably a fluke. How the Raptors do all depends on TJ Ford, who I think is really their best player. Bosh = Overrated

Make It Rain 09-22-2007 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bomber

I agree. Even overrated maybe. Everyone is so high on their young guys that haven't proven themselves yet (outside of Maxiell).

dffsaf9 09-22-2007 04:47 PM

Quote:

How the Raptors do all depends on TJ Ford, who I think is really their best player. Bosh = Overrated

ARE YOU F*CKEN RETARDED!?!?!?!

im a raptors fan and i can tell you TJ had a hard enough time earning minutes away from Jose Calderon

Chris Bosh is a 3 time all-star, All-NBA Team 2, and was arguably the MVP of the eastern conference last season.....did i mention he's only 23?

after Wade and Lebron, Bosh is the best player in the east, and everyone (excluding you, obviously) is starting to notice

Phenith 09-22-2007 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perezident
when u say young talent, you have to mention the Sacramento Kings imo

the young players who are on that team are very! under rated

Kevin Martin
Cisco
Salmons
Douby
Justin
Hawes
Shakur
Darryl Watkins......and this is almost our whole team :D :banana:

I think Sac Town is overrated, to me they are a team a dis array. Isn't Salmons 28, I mean, he is in his prime and he isn't a star, just a versatile role player really? Hawes is a hit or miss prospect. Douby is an undersized SG. Garcia has only really shown flashes along with great inconsistency and is already 26. Martin is a great starting piece and a guy like Shakur is a good player to put beside him. If Justin can play the way he has during starters minutes rather thank picking up some easy boards and points against 2nd line players and during garbage time. AND, Hawes turns out to be a hit rather than a miss, then yeah they will look to have a nice young core. But that is asking a lot methinks.

Just from reading the thread title the team that came to mind was the Pistons mainly because they are still perceived as an aging team that is falling out of contention, nobody really focuses on their young talent. I think the best of the young guys they have is the one most people know the least about, Amir Johnson.

RidonKs 09-22-2007 07:52 PM

Quote:

after Wade and Lebron, Bosh is the best player in the east, and everyone (excluding you, obviously) is starting to notice
KG. Just sayin'.

Gilbert's better too, and there's a decent chance of me taking Pierce or Kidd before Bosh. A healthy Shaq is definitely better, but that's not exactly a likely scenario at the moment. VC's also a possibility.

DeuceWallaces 09-22-2007 08:15 PM

KG, pierce, wade, lebron, shaq, gilbert, maybe even chauncey jermaine O'Neal, Carter...all better than Bosh. Especially considering his playoff performance and in general his defense.

Even Ray Allen led that Sonics team two years ago to a higher degree than Bosh did last year.

Perezident 09-22-2007 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phenith
I think Sac Town is overrated, to me they are a team a dis array. Isn't Salmons 28, I mean, he is in his prime and he isn't a star, just a versatile role player really? Hawes is a hit or miss prospect. Douby is an undersized SG. Garcia has only really shown flashes along with great inconsistency and is already 26. Martin is a great starting piece and a guy like Shakur is a good player to put beside him. If Justin can play the way he has during starters minutes rather thank picking up some easy boards and points against 2nd line players and during garbage time. AND, Hawes turns out to be a hit rather than a miss, then yeah they will look to have a nice young core. But that is asking a lot methinks.

Just from reading the thread title the team that came to mind was the Pistons mainly because they are still perceived as an aging team that is falling out of contention, nobody really focuses on their young talent. I think the best of the young guys they have is the one most people know the least about, Amir Johnson.

bro the pistons are rated correctly....

the kings are the real underrated talent arguably the the most imo

No one gives respect to Kevin Martin, Douby is an undersized SG?? Well he's a combo guard and he did bulk up this yr. He was practicing ALL OFFSEASON on how to become a PG. So that can only be a plus.He shoots lights out and not to mention a splendid defensive player.

And then we have cisco who is in a set all by himself. He will have a break out season this yr. Shades of a la Kevin Martin. And with Theus in town (his old coach) things only could be looking good for him. Theus did say he was disappointed in the way Musselman used him and the vast limited minutes he got. The last 7 games of regular season Cisco avrg. 15/5/4/2/1/1 (Points, Rebs, Assists,Steals and Blocks).

Justin ..same thing as Cisco never got consistant minutes to show he can really jam. Terrific defensive player in a 6'9 frame...reminds me alot of Big Ben (offense and defense) :D

Hawes, an offensive genius and only at 19! Kings really won on this pick imo.At first I wasnt fond of the pick because I wanted Brandon Wright to fall to us,that and we needed a defensive Center.But we got Mikkie so i'm alright with the pick now

Shakur...Time will tell but he is going to be a stud on defense. He plays D like JKidd imo.

Darryl Watkins.....HE IS A BEAST!!! He reminds me of Eddy Curry only thing he PLAYS D :oldlol: When he dunks the rim doesnt stop shaking lol. Love this guy really.

So as you can see we have a wonderful future ahead of us. But yet we are still underrated. Doesnt matter to me tho, If management stays focused and WHEN these young guys (cisco douby hawes kevin and Justin) live up to expectations, the kings will be in good shape for yrs to come

And thats my 5 cents lol

Prodigy 09-23-2007 03:39 AM

It's Lebron, Garnett, and Wade. Nobody else is better than Bosh right now. Kidd probably is but he's nigh done, same with Shaq. Chauncey Billups is the definition of a good point gaurd who does everything right but isn't going to carry the team. The rest aren't really close.

otmtheshank 09-23-2007 01:13 PM

Other than Chris Paul, I'd say the Hornet's young talent is pretty underrated. Rasual, Devin Brown, and Julian Wright are all solid young swingmen. They have plenty of young depth up front with Chandler, Hilton Armstrong, Cedric Simmons, and one of the most underrated forwards in the NBA in David West. Heck, even Chris Paul is frequently underrated compared to fellow young point guards like Deron Williams and Tony Parker.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make It Rain
I think Toronto's overrated. Before the Boston deal, people thought Toronto was gonna run away with the Atlantic again when last year was probably a fluke. How the Raptors do all depends on TJ Ford, who I think is really their best player. Bosh = Overrated

Chris Bosh is clearly the best player on the Raptors. I agree that he's overrated, but TJ Ford is not more important to the Raptor's success than Chris Bosh is.

I don't believe last year was a fluke for the Raptors either. I don't expect them to do any worse than they did last year. They were one of the top teams in the conference after their rough start, and haven't lost any significant players other than Mo Pete. They'll have a tough time beating out the Nets/Celtics/Knicks for the division, but they're still a solid play-off team good for 45-50 wins.