Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Utah Jazz Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Short shorts suck.. But, man that Stockton guy was good. (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5864)

Summit42 07-21-2006 11:31 AM

Short shorts suck.. But, man that Stockton guy was good.

I know there are a lot of Stockton haters out there but you can argue with these stats.

- He averaged a career double-double, with 13.1 points and 10.5 assists per game.
- NBA's records for career assists (15,806) and career steals (3,265) and1,000+ assist season seven times.
-He played 1,504 of 1,526 possible games in his 19-season career and never missed a playoff game.

In addition to his remarkable numbers John Stockton was able to keep a very low profile in the NBA and avoided endorsements.
I have never heard John Stockton make a negative comment in my life and he was always respectful to the other teams, players, and coaches.

Only sad mark on his NBA resume is that fact they lost to the Bulls both times they were able to make it to the NBA finals (who could win 5vs8?).

cyco127 07-21-2006 12:36 PM

Easily the best point guard to never win a championship, and arguably the best point ever.

And that's comin' from someone who WAS a hater growing up...

Pre777 07-21-2006 05:04 PM

That assist record is near untouchable. I can't see any active point guard coming anywhere close. Kidd is way to old and only halfway there. Payton no and Nash's prime assist totals not as high as Stockton's.

Which brings me to a point that I don't think gets nearly enough play: Stockton, Kidd, Payton, KJ and even perhaps Terrell Brandon have all had individual seasons better both statistically and winning percentage wise than Nash had on his way to 2 MVP's!

I am very puzzled on this one.

cyco127 07-21-2006 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pre777
That assist record is near untouchable. I can't see any active point guard coming anywhere close. Kidd is way to old and only halfway there. Payton no and Nash's prime assist totals not as high as Stockton's.

Which brings me to a point that I don't think gets nearly enough play: Stockton, Kidd, Payton, KJ and even perhaps Terrell Brandon have all had individual seasons better both statistically and winning percentage wise than Nash had on his way to 2 MVP's!
I am very puzzled on this one.

That is he very reason that I believe the NBA should have a 'Player of the Year' award along with the MVP award.
The reason Nash won was due to the nba's definition of MVP... They're looking for the player that has the most effect on his team.
I guess what I mean is: If you take away Steve Nash, Phoenix struggles to make the playoffs.

I think the League should look into creating a Player of the Year award, to be given to the player who puts up the best all around numbers, or have the most memorable performances.

Last year's Player of the year in my mind prolly would have been Kobe(even though I'm not a fan). I watched him put up that 81... amazing.

ihatetimthomas 07-21-2006 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cyco127
That is he very reason that I believe the NBA should have a 'Player of the Year' award along with the MVP award.
The reason Nash won was due to the nba's definition of MVP... They're looking for the player that has the most effect on his team.
I guess what I mean is: If you take away Steve Nash, Phoenix struggles to make the playoffs.

I think the League should look into creating a Player of the Year award, to be given to the player who puts up the best all around numbers, or have the most memorable performances.

Last year's Player of the year in my mind prolly would have been Kobe(even though I'm not a fan). I watched him put up that 81... amazing.

Yea nash showed stats are not everything...but i also think kobe was deserving of the MVP award...im all for the MVP going to the player that makes his team win and makes his team better but kobes play last season was historical...broke many laker records that were there for years and 81 for goodness sake...im not saying a great scorer should automatically be mvp but this guy was insane last year and his 81 will be untouched for years...he had a historical season which should have been rewarded...prolly bunch of kobe harters on the votes

Goldenboy118 07-24-2006 05:13 PM

Dude give up the Kobe Hater banter. Kobe had a spectacular year. That is a given. But if you are going to say that, then why can't you make a case for LeBron who single handedly takes Cleveland out of the Lottery. Also how 'bout Carmelo who hit many game winning shots and took his team to the exact destination as Kobe. No one doubts that Kobe Bryant is one of the most gifted and talented athletes to ever play in the NBA. But the bandwagon of people who cry "Kobe Haters" need to give it a rest.