Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Video Games Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   EA Sports curse. (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60579)

jimmyjames 10-30-2007 05:09 AM

EA Sports curse.
 
What do you all think about it? Are you all familiar with the so called EA Sports curse... you know Players that were on the cover of Madden and NBA Live video games? I just recently had a conversation at work with a few people about this.... I always heard about the Sports Illustrated cover Jinx from way back.

I remember some players having bad years when they were on the cover of the games. So is this EA Sports curse bogus or is there something to it?

RoseCity07 10-30-2007 05:47 AM

Re: EA Sports curse.
 
Some how I don't think Kobe would have a bad year if he was on the cover of live pictured breaking meres standing under a latter.

Agent Zero 10-30-2007 05:53 AM

Re: EA Sports curse.
 
didnt dwade win finals mvp year after he was on cover of NBA Live?

jimmyjames 10-30-2007 06:05 AM

Re: EA Sports curse.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Agent Zero
didnt dwade win finals mvp year after he was on cover of NBA Live?

Yeah he did.... lol now that I think of it the curse/cover jinx seems to apply more to the Madden game in football. I was thinking it was in basketball too, maybe not.

http://sportsmatter.blogspot.com/200...ver-curse.html

I am convinced there is something to this curse/jinx but only in madden football..... doesn't really apply to NBA Live I guess. Main reason I brought it up on here today was that I noticed Arenas on the cover of NBA Live 2008 and I know it is supposed to be a big contract year for him and all and with all the talking he has been doing.

Ok.... I copied and pasted this from another link.... this is what they have to say about the nba live covers.


NBA 2000
Athlete: Tim Duncan
Team Season (1999): 53-29
Playoff Record: Loss in Rnd. 1
Year Before: 37-13, NBA Champions
Player Injury: Missed a few games.
Other Findings: Loves to play Dungeons & Dragons, and has as such earned the nickname "Merlin."

NBA 2001
Athlete: Kevin Garnett
Team Season (2000): 47-35
Playoff Record: Loss in Rnd. 1
Year Before: 50-32, loss in Rnd. 1
Player Injury: None
Other Findings: Has his own blog.

NBA 2002
Athlete: Steve Francis
Team Season (2001): 28-54
Playoff Record: Failed to make playoffs
Year Before: 45-37, failed to make playoffs
Player Injury: Missed 25 games.
Other Findings: He's been almost perfectly healthy every other year of his career. And a team-killer.

NBA 2003
Athlete: Jason Kidd
Team Season (2002): 49-33
Playoff Record: Lost in NBA Finals
Year Before: 52-30, lost in NBA Finals
Player Injury: None
Other Findings: McDonalds created a burger with three patties and two slices of cheese called the "Jason Kidd Burger" that was to be sold in stores in Phoenix. Get it? It was a triple-double burger.

NBA 2004
Athlete: Vince Carter
Team Season (2003): 33-49
Playoff Record: Failed to make playoffs
Year Before: 24-58, failed to make playoffs
Player Injury: Missed a few games.
Other Findings: Wow. He actually made it through a season. I bet there was a ton of limping and grimacing throughout the year, though.

NBA 2005
Athlete: Carmelo Anthony
Team Season (2004): 49-33
Playoff Record: Loss in Rnd. 1
Year Before: 43-39, loss in Rnd. 1
Player Injury: Missed a few games.
Other Findings: He was charged for possession of marijuana that year.

NBA 2006
Athlete: Dwyane Wade
Team Season (2005): 52-30
Playoff Record: NBA Champions
Year Before: 59-23, loss in NBA Finals
Player Injury: Missed a few games.
Other Findings: Won the 2006 PlayStation Skills Challenge, beating LeBron James. Unfortunately, it had nothing to do with actually beating James at PS2.

NBA 2007
Athlete: Tracy McGrady
Team Season (2006): ???
Playoff Record: ???
Year Before:
Player Injury: ???
Other Findings: The Raptors 9th Overall pick in the 1997 draft was to be traded to the Bulls for Scottie Pippen. The Bulls wanted to draft McGrady. The deal fell apart when Michael Jordan told the Bulls he would retire if Pippen was traded.

jimmyjames 10-30-2007 06:11 AM

Re: EA Sports curse.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by RoseCity07
Some how I don't think Kobe would have a bad year if he was on the cover of live pictured breaking meres standing under a latter.

Statically no but I would not rule out other things that could call it a bad year. Last year wasn't good... team success wise, that whole Colorado thing with loss of endorsements, all the trade talk saga. Not sure of all the games that had him on the cover or what year they came out.

20 Dimes A Game 10-30-2007 06:51 AM

Re: EA Sports curse.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jimmyjames
Yeah he did.... lol now that I think of it the curse/cover jinx seems to apply more to the Madden game in football. I was thinking it was in basketball too, maybe not.

http://sportsmatter.blogspot.com/200...ver-curse.html

I am convinced there is something to this curse/jinx but only in madden football..... doesn't really apply to NBA Live I guess. Main reason I brought it up on here today was that I noticed Arenas on the cover of NBA Live 2008 and I know it is supposed to be a big contract year for him and all and with all the talking he has been doing.

Ok.... I copied and pasted this from another link.... this is what they have to say about the nba live covers.


NBA 2000
Athlete: Tim Duncan
Team Season (1999): 53-29
Playoff Record: Loss in Rnd. 1
Year Before: 37-13, NBA Champions
Player Injury: Missed a few games.
Other Findings: Loves to play Dungeons & Dragons, and has as such earned the nickname "Merlin."

NBA 2001
Athlete: Kevin Garnett
Team Season (2000): 47-35
Playoff Record: Loss in Rnd. 1
Year Before: 50-32, loss in Rnd. 1
Player Injury: None
Other Findings: Has his own blog.

NBA 2002
Athlete: Steve Francis
Team Season (2001): 28-54
Playoff Record: Failed to make playoffs
Year Before: 45-37, failed to make playoffs
Player Injury: Missed 25 games.
Other Findings: He's been almost perfectly healthy every other year of his career. And a team-killer.

NBA 2003
Athlete: Jason Kidd
Team Season (2002): 49-33
Playoff Record: Lost in NBA Finals
Year Before: 52-30, lost in NBA Finals
Player Injury: None
Other Findings: McDonalds created a burger with three patties and two slices of cheese called the "Jason Kidd Burger" that was to be sold in stores in Phoenix. Get it? It was a triple-double burger.

NBA 2004
Athlete: Vince Carter
Team Season (2003): 33-49
Playoff Record: Failed to make playoffs
Year Before: 24-58, failed to make playoffs
Player Injury: Missed a few games.
Other Findings: Wow. He actually made it through a season. I bet there was a ton of limping and grimacing throughout the year, though.

NBA 2005
Athlete: Carmelo Anthony
Team Season (2004): 49-33
Playoff Record: Loss in Rnd. 1
Year Before: 43-39, loss in Rnd. 1
Player Injury: Missed a few games.
Other Findings: He was charged for possession of marijuana that year.

NBA 2006
Athlete: Dwyane Wade
Team Season (2005): 52-30
Playoff Record: NBA Champions
Year Before: 59-23, loss in NBA Finals
Player Injury: Missed a few games.
Other Findings: Won the 2006 PlayStation Skills Challenge, beating LeBron James. Unfortunately, it had nothing to do with actually beating James at PS2.

NBA 2007
Athlete: Tracy McGrady
Team Season (2006): ???
Playoff Record: ???
Year Before:
Player Injury: ???
Other Findings: The Raptors 9th Overall pick in the 1997 draft was to be traded to the Bulls for Scottie Pippen. The Bulls wanted to draft McGrady. The deal fell apart when Michael Jordan told the Bulls he would retire if Pippen was traded.


wow

SCREWstonRockets 10-30-2007 08:20 AM

Re: EA Sports curse.
 
2K's College Hoops has more of a curse:

Quote:

2K4 (First Game) - TJ Ford
During his rookie season was when he fell to the ground and suffered a spinal cord contusion. This was almost a career ending injury to a rookie who looked like one of the most promising young point guards in the league. He had to sit out a year for rehab and was then traded to the Raptors.

2K5- Josh Childress
The only rookie to appear on a cover and have a good rookie season but has been injury prone since and will miss this season with a stress fracture.

2K6 - Marvin Williams
As a rookie he had a decent year but was no wear near what he was projected to be. Everyone thought he would be great because he came off the bench at North Carolina but he was one of the biggest impact players on the team. The Hawks took a gamble because he they never really saw him play a full game in college. He averaged 8 points per game but was the 2nd overall pick. He has shown improvement but still has not been what they have thought he would be.

2K7- JJ Redick
Injured his foot his rookie year and didnt start playing remotly well until February. He only played in 42 games last year.

2K8 - Greg Oden
We all know the story about Oden being out for the year with knee surgery but what we don't know is how he will be once he returns. He could be fine and end up like Amare Stoudmire whose injury was on the side of his knee and didn't effect how he moved to much or if his injury is in the middle of his where he puts all of his pressure then he could be like Penny Hardaway.


jimmyjames 10-30-2007 08:26 AM

Re: EA Sports curse.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by SCREWstonRockets
2K's College Hoops has more of a curse:

Oh shlt!:eek: You are right!:bowdown:

kidachi 10-30-2007 10:29 AM

Re: EA Sports curse.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jimmyjames
The Raptors 9th Overall pick in the 1997 draft was to be traded to the Bulls for Scottie Pippen. The Bulls wanted to draft McGrady. The deal fell apart when Michael Jordan told the Bulls he would retire if Pippen was traded.



woooow. nice trivia. is this true? how did you know that?

Dizzle-2k7 10-30-2007 10:31 AM

Re: EA Sports curse.
 
yea I need some clarification on that bulls-mcgrady trade. why would they trade a prime Pippen for a high schooler?

NastaMaverick 10-30-2007 10:35 AM

Re: EA Sports curse.
 
Why does it say Wade lost in the Nba Finals the year before?


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:47 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy