Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Toronto Raptors Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Raptors Need To Go Gay!! (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=607)

dffsaf 06-07-2006 04:58 PM

Raptors Need To Go Gay!!

after many weeks of draft examination,ive made my final decsion that the raptors should take rudy gay number 1. Gay has been the consensus no. 1 pick for the 06 draft for the last 2 years. He has unbelievable talent and ability, i see almost no weaknesses to his game. And its not like he had a bad year in college, he juss didnt explode like expected, and why??? he was playing for the best team in the country.That team was incredible deep had far to many option on it for Rudy to be superman, the shots had to be shared, and the team was to crowded.Just to show how good that team really was i can tell you that guys off their bench are expected to be drafted this year!!!!..I say if you have number 1 you have to go with Gay.you look at marvin williams who went 2 last year and then you look at Gay (same age) and Gay is ten times the player and potential that marvin was and is suppose to be...Gay has a great body, great attitude, ridiculous ability, and out of this world potential.Toronto would be smart to go Gay..

Dr.Funk 06-07-2006 05:36 PM

I agree 1000%!

Rudy Gay should be the guy that the Raps draft.

The only knock on him is motivation. Well that was the same knock on Charlie V and look how that turned out.

Chamberlain 06-07-2006 09:30 PM

Maybe all Rudy Gay needs is to be embarassed on national television by Steven A. Smith to get him motivated. Wouldn't it be sweet to show him up two years in a row?

GoRapz 06-07-2006 09:58 PM

i'd support this pick.

Gay has alot of potential and can play D.

only question is...

Charlie V and Rudy both play the 3. Will one of them get traded if Gay is aqquired?

Pistol Pete 06-07-2006 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRapz
Charlie V and Rudy both play the 3. Will one of them get traded if Gay is aqquired?

I would assume if Bryan Colangelo feels that Rudy Gay is the pick, then they would just go with the small lineup that we've seen fail before, only difference being would that Colangelo would be forced to get a point guard that can handle running that type of team. If this were to happen, then I would see him building the Raptors exactly like he built the Suns and going entirely small and athletic, something like:

PG - (Pass-First, Athletic Point Guard)
SG - Morris Peterson
SF - Rudy Gay
PF - Charlie Villaneuva
CT - Chris Bosh

The problem is though, if you decide to do that, where do you find that point guard, athletic guys whom are pass first point guards don't grow on trees, and Colangelo would need to find a good one in order to make the system work, I do not believe that you can plug a mediocre talent at PG in that system and think that it will work.

Chamberlain 06-07-2006 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pistol Pete
The problem is though, if you decide to do that, where do you find that point guard, athletic guys whom are pass first point guards don't grow on trees, and Colangelo would need to find a good one in order to make the system work, I do not believe that you can plug a mediocre talent at PG in that system and think that it will work.

Jay Williams? Doesn't have the explosiveness he used to, but he is a pass first guy, and I read an article that stated some very important things about his game:
1. He is studying how Steve Nash plays, because he figures now that he is less explosive he needs to rely more on court vision and footwork to get the job done
2. He loves Toronto.. the city, team, staff, everything. Thats the kinda guy Toronto needs. Someone who wants to be there.
3. Since his injury, he has had a burning desire to return to the game and make an immediate impact, and from what I read, he's the same JayWill, with less explosiveness but a better shot and more basketball IQ.

I realize this isn't the ideal guy to have, but I think he may be the best available.

Pistol Pete 06-07-2006 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chamberlain
Jay Williams? Doesn't have the explosiveness he used to, but he is a pass first guy, and I read an article that stated some very important things about his game

This is basically my entire point, you cannot find a proven guy. To go with that system and then base the entire thing on a guy who is recovering from major injuries and has not proven anything in the NBA would be setting yourself up for complete disaster. I could see, maybe using him as your back up point guard until he proves himself, but I think that you need to have a more dependable point guard who has proven himself in the NBA.

Chamberlain 06-08-2006 02:13 AM

I agree with you 100% I Just can't see any other options available. If someone like Brevin Knight was available, and he may be, but for what price?

Chamberlain 06-08-2006 02:15 AM

I agree with you 100% I Just can't see any other options available. If someone like Brevin Knight was available, and he may be, but for what price?
On another board here someone said:
#1 and Charlie V
for
#10, Luke Ridnour, and Rashard Lewis.
You get your quick passfirst PG, a player who plays very similiar to Charlie V, and you still get a pretty solid pick.
What do ya think about that scenario?
edit: didn't mean to do that by the way

The Captain 06-08-2006 10:25 AM

i would trade mo pete and a contract before Charlie V. Other than that, it would be sweet. At the same time, I can't see seatle trading Lewis and Ridnour for a 1 and mo or V.

Basketbolero 06-08-2006 06:16 PM

Jose Calderon should be the starter if he is healthy, and a veteran backup PG could help

AKADS 06-08-2006 06:20 PM

Should have just pick Gragner last yr with your second first rounder.

Chamberlain 06-08-2006 06:20 PM

Apparently BC isn't very high on Calderon.

Unregistered 06-08-2006 06:21 PM

jjj

Unregistered 06-08-2006 06:24 PM

honestly i think calderon kinda sucks but i like him, but no way he should be starting. on offense he knows his role perfectly give the ball to bosh and let him go to work but on defence his play is horrific. eveytime he goes to double (which he sucks at) his man ALWAYS gets an open look