Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Boston Celtics Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Rudy Gay hypothetical (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=695)

JohnnySic 06-08-2006 11:37 AM

Rudy Gay hypothetical

If Rudy Gay slips to 7 (a possibility), should the C's draft him? He'd probably be the best player available, but would add to the logjam that already exists at the 2/3 spots. This is one of those things were its said that a "rebuilding" team should always draft the best player available rather than draft based on need, in order to maximize their talent addition.

Thoughts?

Real Men Wear Green 06-08-2006 11:44 AM

Absolutely, we should be all over him. It may make the sign/trade Paul Pierce discussion tougher and lead to a decision many of us won't like, but I'm pretty sure that no one between the heights of 6'5 and 6'8 would want to face Rudy Gay and Gerald Green in 4 years.

JohnnySic 06-08-2006 11:57 AM

Adding Gay would mean that Pierce and Wally could be traded. We'd have Gay and Green as the future 2/3 combo and Allen providing backup. Maybe work Raef into the Pierce trade; that would really put a dent into the payroll (dependng on what comes back in the trades), allowing the C's to sign all their young guys.

Real Men Wear Green 06-08-2006 12:42 PM

Quote:

Wally could be traded
I took that as a given, whether we draft another swingman or not.

Patches O'Houlihan 06-08-2006 02:52 PM

I don't want Pierce traded. :banghead:

Although if Gay slips we should draft him, but then I say we immediately trade him for a big. :p

Maybe I'm not high enough on Gay, I haven't really gathered much except for the fact that he's a good dunker. :(

Real Men Wear Green 06-08-2006 08:16 PM

He's not just a dunker. He can dribble, he has range, he can board, and he can defend when he wants to. The problem with Rudy Gay is his intensity level. Over the last two seasons there were a number of games where he coasted when he could be killing the opposition and UConn needed someone to step up. If he becomes a Celtic we'd just have to hope that that was a by-product of his tender years and not a sign of a bigger, Tim Thomas-like problem.

TheReturnofCed 06-08-2006 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnySic
If Rudy Gay slips to 7 (a possibility), should the C's draft him? He'd probably be the best player available, but would add to the logjam that already exists at the 2/3 spots. This is one of those things were its said that a "rebuilding" team should always draft the best player available rather than draft based on need, in order to maximize their talent addition.

Thoughts?

I would draft Rudy if he was available at 7 and then trade Pierce, Wally and Raef to New York for Jalen Rose, Maurice Taylor, Channing Frye, David Lee, Nate Robinson, Jackie Butler and their two picks this year.

CT: Frye/ Perkins/ Butler
PF: Jefferson/ Lee (Taylor)
SF: Gay/ Gomes (Rose)
SG: Green/ Allen
PG: West/ Robinson
+2 1st rounders in 2006. (20 & 29)

CT: Curry/ James
PF: LaFrentz/ Rose
SF: Pierce/ Szczerbiak
SG: Francis/ Richardson
PG: Marbury/ Crawford

(shit thats packed at the wings and guard!!!)

Real Men Wear Green 06-08-2006 09:26 PM

That can't possibly work under the salary cap.

TheReturnofCed 06-09-2006 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
That can't possibly work under the salary cap.

It does, I have checked it all.

Thats a pretty sweet trade.

Jazz Rockets all the way 06-10-2006 08:52 AM

i dunno cos celtics need a replacement 4 peirce but they have green, plus when gay comes in as a rook he will learn from paul pierce.......................................which could b a mistake

Snoopy 06-12-2006 08:01 AM

that team is out of control, imagine the bench on that beast! im all for it, so long as the old celtics like allen, gomes, and perk aint forgotten about, but pickin up the knicks youth movement and combining it with ours into an ultimate young team with huge upside, i like it! keep doc too, i think hes doing a good job

AndyDufrain 06-13-2006 03:01 PM

hmm

If we draft Gay then I feel like we have to trade Pierce after this year... the peak of this era would clearly be when Gay and Green are in their primes. That would be quite a duo, as they are pretty similar players...

However, I'd rather see another Uconn star, Marcus Williams, here. He's going to be a great pure pg, and reminds me alot of Jason Kidd. He's the type of guy who makes everyone around him better.

JohnnySic 06-30-2006 11:42 AM

Well, Gay was available at #7. I wonder if Ainge makes the trade had he known that ahead of time.