Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Toronto Raptors Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Is there an honest demand to get Villy out? (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=698)

T-Low 06-08-2006 11:21 AM

Is there an honest demand to get Villy out?

Every thread almost that I have been on, there have been trades including Villanueva and the first rounder...My question is, why do people want to get rid of him so fast after such a good first season?:confused:

browntown 06-08-2006 11:25 AM

I'm sure it that the people who want him out. But if we draft the Italain guy, then well a villy kind of player, whos taller.

bk33 06-08-2006 11:48 AM

it's not so much ppl want him out, it's that he's our best tradable asset to get us a good C/PG, bigger holes than the SF that him leaving would leave us.

The Captain 06-08-2006 12:27 PM

....but we can fill the holes through free agency, there's solid FA's out there... too many people are thinking starting 5 as opposed to depth. You keep Charlie, you sign a centre and pg, you draft overall skill and potential, then your deeper, and you have a futur aswell.

We don't need to trade our most tradeables. Because they are our most tradeable, means they are good and have value. Why would you want to trade value, we've been lacking value for years. Now we have it and everyone wants to trade it away. It makes no sense.

Sure O'neil is better than V now, but he won't be in 3 years, and he'll never play a full season, he's proved that. I'll take a proven rising star that helps now in V, over a somewhat has-been who will never play 82 again. trust me, O'neil is on the declined.

Dr.Funk 06-08-2006 12:47 PM

It's not that people want him gone.

I'm sure everybody here loves him, but he is a tradeable asset that is replaceable.

A Roc 23 06-08-2006 01:17 PM

I love Charlie V.

The problem is I don't think he is a full time SF. He isn't quick enough to guard most SFs.

AKADS 06-08-2006 03:29 PM

Villy is a horrible defender, Is not a SF, and i really think BC want him out.
He shoots to many 3's and is not a great rebounder. So basicly he is a good scorer.

Good Scorers are not good complment players.
Raptors need to make a lot of changes to become an elite team.

Chamberlain 06-08-2006 03:47 PM

I personally would like to see Charlie stay with the Raps, I think he has a bright future and despite his troubles on defense, he has time to work on it, and pretty much every team has its defensive liabilities anyway. The Raptors could keep Charlie and try to get Other players who shine on the defensive end. But if a deal were in place to give the Raptors some more depth and improve the team, Colangelo might have to pull the trigger.

Phesto 06-08-2006 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AKADS
Villy is a horrible defender, Is not a SF, and i really think BC want him out.
He shoots to many 3's and is not a great rebounder. So basicly he is a good scorer.

Good Scorers are not good complment players.
Raptors need to make a lot of changes to become an elite team.

He was also runner-up for rookie of the year (that means it was only his first season in the league). I might be going out on a limb here, but I have a feeling he might be able to improve on his first year in the League. He is trying to learn a position where he has to improve his quickness on defense so that he isn't cancelled out at the other end of the floor.

Not a great rebounder? Maybe not great, but he either led all rookies or was 2nd behind the Aussie. He had a few big rebounding games so we know it's possible for him to be a great rebounder. He was pretty solid on the offensive glass, if I recall correctly.

I don't understand why after the Araujo debacle, when we finally draft a stud, people are so quick to want to trade him for some sort of a quick-fix. I get that we are an accelerated-rebuilding team, so quick success is necessary, but trading Charlie Villanueva is probably not the answer. Never say never, but I don't see him going anywhere this summer ('cept to Vegas for summer league!).

Chamberlain 06-08-2006 04:04 PM

I don't see them trading him either, because I don't see them getting equal value in return. I think he'll improve, maybe not a lot, but this season definetly wasn't a fluke.

Velocirap31 06-08-2006 04:13 PM

Villenueva and Bosh will combine for around 40 points per night next season, maybe more... Keep them together.

Chamberlain 06-08-2006 04:21 PM

I could definetly see Bosh with 22-24ppg next year with Villanueva getting 14-17ppg. That would be a great 1-2 punch, with Peterson chipping in most nights as well. Everybody says who Charlie is a slack on defense, you can think of it two ways. When he plays 3, he's a lot bigger than the guys guarding him and he has a pretty nice hookshot that he can easily get up over them, and when he's playing the 4spot he's a lot quicker than most guys, so he's a guy who can create problems for the defense of other teams as welll.

Velocirap31 06-08-2006 04:24 PM

Charlie and Bosh are pretty similar, except Bosh is more effective in the post and mid-range area. Villenueva is more effective at stretching out the defense with his three-point shots. I think these two could pass back and forth in games and simply take turns 'killing' the opposing teams.

Chamberlain 06-08-2006 04:28 PM

A lot of people don't like how they are so similiar, but it a lot of cases it benefits the team. Defensive have 2 athletic power forwards to contain, as oppose to one. That makes it much harder to guard, and that may lead to one of those two players having a much easier time on the offensive end.

Faufner 06-08-2006 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T-Low
Every thread almost that I have been on, there have been trades including Villanueva and the first rounder...My question is, why do people want to get rid of him so fast after such a good first season?:confused:

I think the theory of "selling high" applies here.