Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Detroit Pistons Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Amir Johnson ??? (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71080)

Sonic R 01-12-2008 10:56 PM

Amir Johnson ???

Whats up with Amir Johnson racking up DNP's? The only playing time he gets now is Darko time :confusedshrug:

Something has to have happened for him to completely fall out of the rotation and out of favor with the coaching staff.

If he is not going to be used, then it may be best to trade him. Pack him up with Flip Murray and maybe an expirer (Herrmann or Brezec).

/rant

20 Dimes A Game 01-13-2008 04:27 AM

Re: Amir Johnson ???

THe rooks have overtaken him in the rotation.

Patrick27 01-13-2008 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonic R
If he is not going to be used, then it may be best to trade him.

For whom? I'm curious who you'd want in return, because the Pistons' rotation is pretty much full right now. We shouldn't trade Amir/expirers (flip is an expirer too) for anyone who won't play.

I'm going to think about this as well, because I can't think of a player on a rebuilding team that we'd want, off the top of my head.

Sonic R 01-13-2008 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick27
I'm going to think about this as well, because I can't think of a player on a rebuilding team that we'd want, off the top of my head.

Honestly I cannot either. But if Amir is not in good graces with the organization for what ever reason, why keep him here?

VCMVP1551 01-13-2008 10:07 PM

I live in New York and have always been interested in Amir and I am glad I got to watch him tonight. He looked good in the limited minutes he played tonight. He has some good moves inside and if you add that to his explosive athletisism you have a player with a ton of potential.

Patrick27 01-14-2008 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VCMVP1551
I live in New York and have always been interested in Amir and I am glad I got to watch him tonight. He looked good in the limited minutes he played tonight. He has some good moves inside and if you add that to his explosive athletisism you have a player with a ton of potential.

I know you didn't exactly come out and say it, but to get Amir/expirers to NJ it would probably take Williams, and I don't think NJ would ever do that.

To get him to the Knicks, it'd take Lee and although Detroit still loves Isaiah, I don't think Isaiah will feed us Lee.

I wonder if we could get Magette from LA Clippers for Amir/expirers. He'd help our 'win now' cause, and he's instant offense from the bench. Hmm...

VCMVP1551 01-14-2008 04:30 AM

What do you think Amir's position will be when he finally starts? He came into the league as a SF, I hear him called a PF a lot now and I've even heard some people suggest he play C(:wtf:).

Patrick27 01-14-2008 10:57 AM

He's tall and athletic. I'm concerned he'll end up as a tweener forward, unless he establishes more strength against bigger PFs or quickness against the smaller SFs.

Can he guard Paul Pierce? Or Grant Hill? If so, he's a SF.

Can he guard Elton Brand? Or Zach Randolph? If so, he's a PF.

If he can't guard either position, I'm not so sure he'll be all that helpful in Detroit, which prides itself on defense.

VCMVP1551 01-15-2008 01:30 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lXByT3588c

A cool short mix. Amir is a shot blocking monster. Earlier this year I remember watching that Pistons vs Lakers game on ESPN and he blocked Bynum 3 different times I believe and Bynum is skilled and probably 4-5 inches taller. Amir also seems to be a very good rebounder, a solid passer and he seems to have some scoring skills not to mention being an explosive athlete. He has a shot to be an excellent all around player who can probably play multiple positions.

dd24 01-15-2008 11:18 PM

I like the Maggette idea, although I don't think he would want to come off the bench, even to win a championship. I think they keep Amir for another year and see how things work out, even though nobody knows exactly what position he'll end up at or how many minutes they can find for him.

Patrick27 01-16-2008 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dd24
I like the Maggette idea, although I don't think he would want to come off the bench, even to win a championship. I think they keep Amir for another year and see how things work out, even though nobody knows exactly what position he'll end up at or how many minutes they can find for him.

Maggette would come off the bench, because that's what he'd been doing in LA for the prior few years. If he can prove his worth against opposing 2nd string players, he'll only put up better numbers per minute, increasing his contract options for 2008-2009.

He could be the Rasheed Wallace for us this year, putting us over the top. He provides a different look as a bona fide scorer. He'd steal minutes from Afflalo and Hayes, but it depends on what we need. Defense, use Afflalo. Jump shooting, use Hayes. Dribble penetration, use Maggette.

dd24 01-16-2008 11:45 AM

While I agree about him being a talented enough player to give the Pistons the edge over the rest they need I don't think he would be happy coming off the bench. He was very vocal about this in LA but it fell upon deaf ears and it was killing his image. He was actually demanding a trade for a while because he wanted to go somewhere that he could be a starter and contribute more. He almost ended up in Philly last year when the whole AI thing was going on. When he realized he wasn't going to get traded he decided he better do the best he can with the role he had so he can try to get the best contract he can.

Patrick27 01-16-2008 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dd24
While I agree about him being a talented enough player to give the Pistons the edge over the rest they need I don't think he would be happy coming off the bench. He was very vocal about this in LA but it fell upon deaf ears and it was killing his image. He was actually demanding a trade for a while because he wanted to go somewhere that he could be a starter and contribute more. He almost ended up in Philly last year when the whole AI thing was going on. When he realized he wasn't going to get traded he decided he better do the best he can with the role he had so he can try to get the best contract he can.

Exactly - now that his contract is almost up, he'll be an exemplary employee and work hard. He knows he's under a microscope now, and by putting up numbers on a contending team, that should help him. Next year he'll get paid, this year he could get a ring. I think he'd tolerate it.

If he still had a few years left, I'd agree that he'd complain about his role. Nobody complains when they're about to get paid a huge salary on any team they want.

final.wrath 01-16-2008 08:41 PM

I think Amir will eventually be a PF/C. He just needs to add some muscle and his length/shotblocking/rebounding will allow him to guard 4/5's. Of course he'll never be a true center but his quickness/athleticism will give him an advantage on the offensive end.

I don't think he has the lateral quickness to defend the 3 effectively.

boozehound 01-17-2008 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonic R
Honestly I cannot either. But if Amir is not in good graces with the organization for what ever reason, why keep him here?

i dont think hes fallen out of grace, just that hes still pretty immature in many aspects of the game. there is a reason brezec and herrmann have taken those mins from him and samb. they are more experienced and less likely to make a stupid mistake (also less likely to do something spectacular, but when you have been as consistently solid as the pistons, you take the more stable option even without the upside). By the time his contract is out, amir will be one of the first 3 bigs on the floor.