Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cleveland Cavaliers Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Cavs give coach Mike Brown a contract extension (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71272)

insidehoops 01-14-2008 12:58 PM

Cavs give coach Mike Brown a contract extension
 
The Cleveland Cavaliers today extended Head Coach Mike Brown’s contract. The announcement was made today by Cavaliers General Manager Danny Ferry. Per team policy, terms of the extension were not released. Details coming later today. Brown is the winningest head coach in Cavaliers history with a .592 winning percentage (119-82). Brown has also won more playoff games (19) than any coach in Cavaliers history. The Cavaliers won their first Eastern Conference Championship last season and became one of only five teams to win at least 50 games in the last two seasons (Dallas, Detroit, Phoenix, and San Antonio). InsideHoops.com

B-Low 01-14-2008 04:48 PM

Re: Cavs give coach Mike Brown a contract extension
 
Oh come on are you freakin serious?!

See i KNEW lucking our way into the finals last year would end up making Mike Brown look like a mega-coach and they'd reward him for it. Being the winningest coach in Cavs history is winning a rap battle in Idaho. You're just the best cuz everyone else SUCKS.

Well Mathius i was hoping we could avoid this but looks like we're gonna have to give you the green light to take MB out of the picture

Mathius 01-14-2008 05:40 PM

Re: Cavs give coach Mike Brown a contract extension
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by B-Low
Oh come on are you freakin serious?!

See i KNEW lucking our way into the finals last year would end up making Mike Brown look like a mega-coach and they'd reward him for it. Being the winningest coach in Cavs history is winning a rap battle in Idaho. You're just the best cuz everyone else SUCKS.

Well Mathius i was hoping we could avoid this but looks like we're gonna have to give you the green light to take MB out of the picture


Can you kick Jeff off the Cavs board first?

Mathius

Black Joker 01-14-2008 09:30 PM

Re: Cavs give coach Mike Brown a contract extension
 
:cry: :cry: why...

mlh1981 01-15-2008 03:40 PM

Re: Cavs give coach Mike Brown a contract extension
 
The team theoretically DID make improvements between the 05-06 and 06-07 seasons, so that's probably how Ferry justifies is. Also, given what happened as far as injuries/holdouts, etc earlier in the season, they have responded much better as of late. However, that's where the credit starts and stops with Mike Brown. The organization has handcuffed him as far as personnel goes, but he cannot coach offense, has questionable substitution patterns, and doesn't always seem to have a full grasp of the situation. He's a nice guy and a hard worker, but he doesn't inspire confidence in his players.

Mathius 01-15-2008 08:34 PM

Re: Cavs give coach Mike Brown a contract extension
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by mlh1981
The team theoretically DID make improvements between the 05-06 and 06-07 seasons, so that's probably how Ferry justifies is.


That's a load of crap. The Cavs record Silas' last season was 42-40. The Cavs record with Mike Brown the following year was 50-32. That's 8 more wins.

The Cavs added Larry Hughes that off season, Varejo became a sophmore, Donyell Marshall was added that year, Damon Jones, and Flip Murray later in the year.

You're telling me those guys weren't worth an extra 8 games? Added to the fact that Lebron was a year better?

What a frick'n joke.

Mathius

mlh1981 01-15-2008 10:08 PM

Re: Cavs give coach Mike Brown a contract extension
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mathius
That's a load of crap. The Cavs record Silas' last season was 42-40. The Cavs record with Mike Brown the following year was 50-32. That's 8 more wins.

The Cavs added Larry Hughes that off season, Varejo became a sophmore, Donyell Marshall was added that year, Damon Jones, and Flip Murray later in the year.

You're telling me those guys weren't worth an extra 8 games? Added to the fact that Lebron was a year better?

What a frick'n joke.

Mathius


I'm just trying to put myself in Ferry's shoes during their thought process. Not really my opinion on the issue. You are right, but Ferry sees more wins, and wants to reward the coach, even though Brown didn't have much to do with it.

05-06--50 wins, 2nd round exit
06-07--53 wins, eastern champs

I know why, and you know why they improved. It has little, if anything to do with the coaching genius of Mike Brown. I'm just examining this from the point of view of management (incompetent as they are--this is probably their thinking)

Mathius 01-15-2008 11:06 PM

Re: Cavs give coach Mike Brown a contract extension
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by mlh1981
I'm just trying to put myself in Ferry's shoes during their thought process. Not really my opinion on the issue. You are right, but Ferry sees more wins, and wants to reward the coach, even though Brown didn't have much to do with it.

05-06--50 wins, 2nd round exit
06-07--53 wins, eastern champs

I know why, and you know why they improved. It has little, if anything to do with the coaching genius of Mike Brown. I'm just examining this from the point of view of management (incompetent as they are--this is probably their thinking)


Gilbert is obviously not a basketball fan, he's just another rich guy who wants to make money off Lebron James.

Incompetent is the key word there. There is NO way, shape, or form Mike Brown deserves this contract. To be perfectly honest, he didn't deserve the 1 year extension he got at the end of his first contract. But this one.... ANOTHER extension in just his 2nd year?

And for what? There are 29 other GM's in the league that _KNOW_ that Mike Brown got lucky in the post season last year, by having the perfect storm of playoff matchups, coupled with Lebron James demoralizing the Pistons.

And he started this season off horribly. The only reason he's winning now is because he got his players back. Is he supposed to be rewarded for being lucky and for getting players back from injury? It's not like we're pacing Detroit, Boston, or any of the Western teams.

This is going to turn into just another Cleveland "fluke" era, where we only make it so far and fall short. It happens with the Indians, it happens with the Browns, Ohio State, and now the Cavs.

I thought Ferry was starting to make some good decisions. I really thought he had a plan... that he made some early mistakes to try to show Lebron he wasn't afraid to bring people in and spend money, but that he was settling down and had a plan to help us recover when DJ, Marshall, Snow, and Gooden come off the books. We're even hearing Larry Hughes talked about for trades, and for a while he was coming off the bench!

But Ferry just blew it with this one. Any hope I had for him is out the window.

Mathius

mlh1981 01-18-2008 09:07 PM

Re: Cavs give coach Mike Brown a contract extension
 
Right now, his worst blunder is INSISTING on starting Hughes/Pavlovic. I hate watching these guys play. There are ZERO consequences for their poor play, so therefore, no motivation for them to improve. Seems like a lot lately, they can't even COMBINE for 10 points a game.

I am thoroughly baffled at how badly Sasha has regressed. He doesn't look remotely close to the player that he was last year. We all knew (or should've known) that Hughes was gonna suck. Always has, always will. People act really disappointed in his play, but my expecations for him this season were low to begin with, so anything he can give beyond 10 PPG is gravy to me. Sucks when you pay someone that kind of money, but it's time we all change what we expect out of him. He's 28 years old and has been an enigma his entire career, even during college. Not going to change now. I wish Mike Brown would recognize this and nail his @ss to the bench. What is it going to take?

Mathius 01-19-2008 02:20 PM

Re: Cavs give coach Mike Brown a contract extension
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by mlh1981
What is it going to take?


I don't know. Until the contract extension I really thought Ferry was going to get us moving in the right direction. Damon Jones and Ira Newble have both been fined this year for taking action against M. Brown by refusing to enter a game. His record was awful in the beginning of the season.

But Ferry's contract extension pretty much is a statement that he has faith in what Brown is doing and he will back him.

That means the only out is if Gilbert fires Ferry and the new guy removes coach Brown.

I just can't see that happening after making the Finals last year, no matter how much of it was luck of the draw.

So back to your original question, "What is it going to take?" At this point it may never happen. We may seriously have to be resigned to the fact that Lebron will leave, or it may take a rebuilding type situation to give us a real shot.

Z isn't going to be around forever. Gooden's not going to improve much. Varejo's not going to improve. Sasha doesn't look like an answer, and Gibson is still pretty inconsistent and may bolt when his contract is up anyways.

It isn't as if we have any long term options here besides Lebron. The best we can hope for is guys like Dwayne Jones and Cedric Simmons becoming steals, or picking up a sleeper in the late rounds of the draft the next two years.

I mean lets face it. This team is still good enough to make the playoffs for the next 3 years ,but its certainly not going anywhere like this.

Mathius

KingJames1578 01-19-2008 06:04 PM

Re: Cavs give coach Mike Brown a contract extension
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mathius
I don't know. Until the contract extension I really thought Ferry was going to get us moving in the right direction. Damon Jones and Ira Newble have both been fined this year for taking action against M. Brown by refusing to enter a game. His record was awful in the beginning of the season.

But Ferry's contract extension pretty much is a statement that he has faith in what Brown is doing and he will back him.

That means the only out is if Gilbert fires Ferry and the new guy removes coach Brown.

I just can't see that happening after making the Finals last year, no matter how much of it was luck of the draw.

So back to your original question, "What is it going to take?" At this point it may never happen. We may seriously have to be resigned to the fact that Lebron will leave, or it may take a rebuilding type situation to give us a real shot.

Z isn't going to be around forever. Gooden's not going to improve much. Varejo's not going to improve. Sasha doesn't look like an answer, and Gibson is still pretty inconsistent and may bolt when his contract is up anyways.

It isn't as if we have any long term options here besides Lebron. The best we can hope for is guys like Dwayne Jones and Cedric Simmons becoming steals, or picking up a sleeper in the late rounds of the draft the next two years.

I mean lets face it. This team is still good enough to make the playoffs for the next 3 years ,but its certainly not going anywhere like this.

Mathius


LeBron will be a Cavalier till he retires...:rockon: :banana: :cheers: :roll: :D

lakerfreak 02-05-2008 11:04 AM

Re: Cavs give coach Mike Brown a contract extension
 
Mike Brown has a lot to thank Lebron for.

Possibly one of the worst "half court offenses" I have ever seen.

the defense is one of the best though.

mlh1981 02-06-2008 12:54 PM

Re: Cavs give coach Mike Brown a contract extension
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by lakerfreak
Mike Brown has a lot to thank Lebron for.

Possibly one of the worst "half court offenses" I have ever seen.

the defense is one of the best though.



Defense is Mike Brown's "calling card." Offensively, I would like to see the team hire some sort of "specialist" or something because it's clear that Mike Brown doesn't know what he's doing. Just a lot of standing around and predictability. The ball movement is good from time to time, but oftentimes, it's just Gibson holding the ball for several seconds, and then he'll kick it to Gooden out behind the 3-point line, or something stupid like that.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:50 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy