Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   NBA Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Are there really Toronto Raptors fans out there who still want TJ Ford over Calderon? (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=72666)

Created Player 01-24-2008 02:30 PM

Are there really Toronto Raptors fans out there who still want TJ Ford over Calderon?

That's got to be some sort of joke, right?

Tell me this just isn't the case. I mean, who would want a severely injury-prone PG who can't shoot over a consistent, if not spectacularly dynamic, leader who is the most efficient guard in the league?

I can't fathom even a moderately adequate hypothesis that warrants keeping Ford over Calderon. To me, it's a rather mute issue in favor of Calderon. Not even worth the discussion. But I know a couple a respected Raptors fans out there are die-hard Ford supporters and have thrown Calderon under the bus a few times.

But look Raptors fans, it's time to be smart here. Let your former personal allegiances go. Admit you were wrong and move on. Calderon is coming up on a contract extension and this is not the time to be in limbo concerning who you want to be leading your squad.

Hell, on paper, it's very little that supports Ford anyway. He's two years younger than Calderon, but has an injury-riddled track record. Other than that, what's in Ford's favor? Maybe defense? But the Raptors system isn't predicated on that aspect with either Ford or Calderon in the line-up. Quickness? Well that also puts Ford in jeopardy of being injured again.

Everything else is in Calderon's favor. Everything.

My suggestion is to let bygones be bygones and move on with the future with Calderon at the helm. I know as a Raptor fan you got introduced to winning with Ford leading the show, but Jose has come in and illustrated he can do the same thing without the threat of injury. Plus he's just flatout better.

Whatever you may think, what I know is the Raptors can't keep both. Calderon is too good and he will leave if the Toronto FO doesn't commit to him as a fulltime starter.

Toronto Raptors, the decisions on you...

wizzla11 01-24-2008 02:36 PM

Re: Are there really Toronto Raptors fans out there who still want TJ Ford over Calderon?

I was on th espn board and someone was trying to convince me that TJ is better for them and is a better penetrator and kick guy.

I was explaining how with TJ they would have lost cause he turns into a shoot firts PG down the stretch while Jose examines the D and then makes the right decision. i was told I was wrong and TJ is the future. he then brought out how TJ is shoot first in crunch time like Nash is then I stopped replying to him cause he thought put TJ Nash and shooting in the same sentence.

TJ/Bosh is the future and it could be nice. Too Bad Boston got KG and Allen cause TO would have the division

Qwyjibo 01-24-2008 02:36 PM

Re: Are there really Toronto Raptors fans out there who still want TJ Ford over Calde

A healthy TJ Ford is a better player than Calderon and also a better fit for the Raptors offense and defense.

Obviously his health is a bit risky now but I'd still roll the dice on that considering Ford's talent.

SHEED_ gangsta 01-24-2008 02:41 PM

Re: Are there really Toronto Raptors fans out there who still want TJ Ford over Calderon?

TJ Ford= faster, wayyy better defender, better scorer

Jose= better court vision, takes care of the ball alot better, better team player.

I want both!!!

wizzla11 01-24-2008 02:42 PM

Re: Are there really Toronto Raptors fans out there who still want TJ Ford over Calde

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
A healthy TJ Ford is a better player than Calderon and also a better fit for the Raptors offense and defense.

Obviously his health is a bit risky now but I'd still roll the dice on that considering Ford's talent.

That's your opinion and you have every right to it. Can you explain why you think so? I'm asking cause i feel the other way on this topic

Created Player 01-24-2008 02:44 PM

Quote:

But you've always been a Ford guy, so I really don't expect for you to admit you're wrong. But it seems to me you have a bit too much faith invested in Ford. Your team winning should be the overall concern and it just seems you write with a Ford-shaded agenda when comparing these two guys. That may have worked before Caleron got major burn, but c'mon, you're willing to lose him at the expense of keeping Ford? After the way Calerdon's played this season?

See, that doesn't make sense to me. The injury factor alone is worth jettisoning Ford, but I feel Calderon is better even if Ford were to stay healthy. I thought that was obvious? :confusedshrug:

Created Player 01-24-2008 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wizzla11
That's your opinion and you have every right to it. Can you explain why you think so? I'm asking cause i feel the other way on this topic

That's what I'm saying. He provids no logical rational to back his statements. He's been doing that since Calderon's been playing well. IMO, there is very little that supports Ford over this guy. Very little. And the few advantages he has are more than nullified by his threat of serious injury.

It's a no-brainer.

Qwyjibo 01-24-2008 02:48 PM

I get that some people are very wary of Ford's health and if that's the main factor in this decision then fine. But how people can say Calderon is actually a better player/fit here, it boggles the mind. It's as if Ford's very good season last year and great start to this year never happened.

As starters this year:

Ford: 14.7 ppg, 7.2 apg, 2.4 tpg, 48.2% FG, 23.8 3pt %, 27.5 mpg, decent defense

Calderon: 13.8 ppg, 9.9 apg, 1.8 tpg, 50.7 % FG, 43.4 3pt %, 37.5 mpg, very poor defense

Calderon is clearly a much better shooter but that's about it. You watch the Raptors play and it's obvious Ford is a better passer and playmaker and definitely a better fit with the lack of penetration the Raptors get from their other guards.

If Ford was the one getting the extra 10 minutes of playing time, he would be an All-Star.

Quote:

But you've always been a Ford guy
I'm not a "Ford guy", I'm a Raptors guy. I don't give a damn about either of them as people or whatever. I don't care how likable each one is or anything. I don't have any irrational motive to back either. I want the Raptors to do well and that's it. To me, they are a better team with Ford and that's why I back Ford in these arguments.

I want the Raptors to be a GREAT team someday soon and IMO that can happen with Ford. It won't happen with Calderon unless they obtain a true top quality SG to put alongside him.

It comes down to which risk do you want to take? Risk Ford's health and keep his big talent? Or risk giving up on Ford's talent for little in return thinking he'll get seriously injured again?

Kblaze8855 01-24-2008 02:48 PM

Far as I know a good number of fans do. And the coaches too it seems. If TJ comes back 100% tomorrow do people really expect him to be the backup?

Good Old Willy 01-24-2008 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Created Player

Remind me again under what other accounts you posted on?

i seen hippos 01-24-2008 02:51 PM

If Calderon played like he did last night all the time meaning he's aggressive when the team needs him to be, then I'd take him over Ford cause the only major thing Ford would have on him is defense (and pushing the ball to a lesser extent).

But until he proves that he's willing to do that more, Ford still is the best option to carry the team when Bosh is off and again his defense is far superior (that's more a shot at Calderon).

Created Player 01-24-2008 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Good Old Willy
Remind me again under what other accounts you posted on?

None, I'm a new guy here. :)

Good Old Willy 01-24-2008 02:52 PM

Quote:

Calderon: ... very poor defense

That part is Q's personal, oft repeated, but unsubstantiated bias. :D

Mine = Calderon: average defense

Qwyjibo 01-24-2008 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by i seen hippos
If Calderon played like he did last night all the time meaning he's aggressive when the team needs him to be, then I'd take him over Ford cause the only major thing Ford would have on him is defense (and pushing the ball to a lesser extent).

But until he proves that he's willing to do that more, Ford still is the best option to carry the team when Bosh is off and again his defense is far superior (that's more a shot at Calderon).

I agree with that.

I loved the way Calderon played last night, at least on offense. Attacking the rim and getting better open looks for his shooters. He just doesn't do that very often. It's maybe only the 3rd time I've seen that kind of aggression from him since becoming a starter.

Good Old Willy 01-24-2008 02:55 PM

Quote:

None, I'm a new guy here. :)

New Guy just here a week? To use just one example from this thread.

Quote:

But you've always been a Ford guy, so I really don't expect for you to admit...

So?