Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Video Games Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Mario Kart Wii (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73475)

ukballer 01-30-2008 06:27 AM

Mario Kart Wii

Who's going to get this when it eventually comes out? Looks really good, and the thing that excites me most about it is the 12 player online racing. That's just gonna be crazy!

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=1ThIBLy1tYg
Mario Kart Wii Announcement at E3 by Reggie Fils-Aime (Old vid I know, but basically sums up what I know about it so far)

By the sounds of it, the snaking technique that some used online whilst racing on Mario Kart DS could well be eliminated as well, thus meaning the races will be much closer, instead of the seasoned veteran snaker going half a lap ahead of the others.

While I'm at it, who here has Mario Kart DS? I'll gladly organise a race with some people sometime. :D

EDIT: Forgot to add, they'll be motorcycles in the game now as well as just karts.

DoubleTech 01-30-2008 11:42 AM

Re: Mario Kart Wii

that is SICK

a handful of friends and i pitched in to get our buddy a Wii for his birthday... we decimated mario kart double dash for the gamecube, glad to hear they're making the next installment of the mkart series extra spicey

DeuceWallaces 01-30-2008 12:40 PM

I will be getting this one.

ukballer 01-30-2008 02:16 PM

Just found out that the 'snaking' technique that has been in some of the previous games will be returning afterall. For those of you who don't know what 'snaking' in Mario Kart is, here is the description from wiki, as I wasn't sure how to best explain it.

Quote:

The execution of several consecutive mini-turbos, by drifting back and forth across a straightaway, is a technique known as "snaking", but is officially called a "Mini-Turbo". Snaking was originally known as performing "Straight-Stretch Mini-Turbos" in the Mario Kart 64 era.

Nintendo Power magazine once responded to a reader mail in its Pulse section, describing snaking as "kind of lame" and that it goes against the original intentions of the game's developers. As with the issue in Mario Kart 64,[citation needed] Nintendo has not commented on this. A Nintendo of America official has personally described snaking as an intentional part of the game's design, considering that a similar technique could also be performed in Mario Kart: Double Dash!!.

Some will see this as a good thing if your able to master it, but for the players less concerned about learning it or who don't like the technique, this again puts the elite veterans at the games at an advantage to the less experienced or less skilled, despite Nintendo promising the gap between experienced and noob players would be minimal.

To be fair its not been officially confirmed, but I visit a games website regularly and got it from there.

To be honest I enjoy racing normally without snaking, but if I come across skilled snakers I will do my best to keep up with them by using the technique myself, even though your hand really hurts afterwards! I would rather the technique wasn't allowed, but hey, if your skilled enough to learn it, then fair play to you!

The announcement of 12 player online racing is fantastic though. Even though some will disconnect, that will still leave you racing against 6 to 8 others maybe. Going to be great fun!

In the USA I think it's coming out April 30th. Lucky bastards! Haha. Though some say March but I wouldn't get your hopes up.

I expect Europeans like myself will have to wait until late May-early June.

Sonic R 01-30-2008 03:15 PM

Count me in for getting this when it comes out
:party:

SayTownRy 01-30-2008 04:16 PM

this is my most anticipated wii game of the year (i'm not a smash bros guy)

i just hope the controls are tight, and there's no reason why they shouldn't be. excitetruck was a launch title and they got it right.

snaking could be kinda fun with the wiimote too.

the online is gonna be nice too. this'll prolly be the first online wii game that everyone i know that has a wii will definitely be picking up.

oh and i have mario kart ds. it's my favorite of all the mario karts.

ZHAKIDD532 01-31-2008 09:58 PM

im waiting for this and smash bros...can't wait!!!

ukballer 02-01-2008 04:30 AM

I've never played Smash Bros. I might be getting a summer job in a Gamestore so before buying it I might use the staff bonus of taking home a game to try it out.

I've played Mario Kart though of course, and this is by far the most exciting title of the year for me.

The good thing about the controls is you will have a choice between the Wiiwheel or whatever they decide to call it in the end, or the Wiimote + Nunchuk. Just see whatever your most comfortable with. The wheel comes with the game as well.

I haven't got a huge problem with snakers, as I can kind of do it myself, but I only do it when I need to. I enjoy racing wheel to wheel with someone rather than making my thumb hurt and go red by continually snaking. But like I said, I don't mind too much if its in the game or not. Look at the screenshots many of the karts are in the middle of a powerboost so I guess that will lead to snaking being able to happen. I just can't wait to go online, racing against 11 other people is just going to be crazy!

Jayrome05 02-04-2008 12:35 PM

I WANT THIS GAME!!!
when does it come out???

ukballer 02-04-2008 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jayrome05
I WANT THIS GAME!!!
when does it come out???

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mario_Kart_Wii

According to the wiki entry, you lucky North Americans will get it as early as March 15th, though this isn't confirmed by Nintendo, just a website called 1up. Europe, Japan and Australia will get it in Q1 2008, so probably late April, May. Maybe even June knowing how rough a deal Europeans like myself seem to get with release dates. I know it isn't much better for Australians either. But no proper confirmed release dates yet.

Jayrome05 02-04-2008 02:46 PM

oh okay... cool.. still going to be a tight a** game we'll play online soon.... haha.

SayTownRy 02-04-2008 05:13 PM

i see this one coming out much later in the year. i think nintendo dispelled those release date rumors. they probably need to space this game's release further apart from smash brothers so they'll have some good balance, as nintendo's own games are by far the best sellers.

wouldn't be surprised if this one didn't hit shelves till the holiday season kicks off (late oct/nov)..

Sonic R 02-04-2008 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SayTownRy
i see this one coming out much later in the year. i think nintendo dispelled those release date rumors. they probably need to space this game's release further apart from smash brothers so they'll have some good balance, as nintendo's own games are by far the best sellers.

wouldn't be surprised if this one didn't hit shelves till the holiday season kicks off (late oct/nov)..

Agreedů
March is the end of the fiscal year and the Spring/Summer is usually idle time for game releases. A title as big as Mario Kart will likely release in the fall, plus I don't think Nintendo wants Mario Kart too close to the hot SSBB.

Jayrome05 02-04-2008 11:28 PM

yeah i guess so... First SSBB then then whatever....

OH which do you guy sprefer using????

Wiimote or Gamecube controller for SSBB???

I think im just gonna use the gamecube controller.... cuz im use to it but ill try using the wiimote...

MagicMoose 02-05-2008 06:10 AM

I am looking forward to riding some motorbikes!