Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Los Angeles Lakers Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Semi-interesting Kobe note (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=78436)

bleedinpurpleTwo 03-01-2008 10:48 PM

Semi-interesting Kobe note
 
against Portland last night, he had 5 assists in the 1st qtr., NONE the rest of the night.

against Miami the other night, he had 6 assists in the 1st qtr., just 2 the rest of the night.

I noticed in a couple other games, he comes out the same way, then no more assists. Portland beat us. Miami made a little comeback (when they should have been blown out).

why is this?
I will be curious to see if this trend continues tomorrow against Dallas.

gts 03-01-2008 11:32 PM

Re: Semi-interesting Kobe note
 
hope not i noticed it too...he seems to stop looking after a certain point... during the road trip he'd get the same number of assists but it was spread out through the whole game... i dunno kobe's a hard one to figure out some times...

DKLaker 03-02-2008 01:22 AM

Re: Semi-interesting Kobe note
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bleedinpurpleTwo
against Portland last night, he had 5 assists in the 1st qtr., NONE the rest of the night.

against Miami the other night, he had 6 assists in the 1st qtr., just 2 the rest of the night.

I noticed in a couple other games, he comes out the same way, then no more assists. Portland beat us. Miami made a little comeback (when they should have been blown out).

why is this?
I will be curious to see if this trend continues tomorrow against Dallas.



Hmmmm did it occur to you that in Portland he DID pass the ball to guys who were wide open but couldn't hit a shot....thanks D-Fish.

Same type of thing against Miami, but then he realized the guys were ice cold and he had to be more aggressive and take over offensively.

Watch a replay of the games and you will see what really happened.
To get an assist, someone has to be able to make a shot.....right!!!!

gts 03-02-2008 01:45 AM

Re: Semi-interesting Kobe note
 
there is that, but he also just quit hitting the open man, odom flashed to the basket several times waving for a pass and kobe would pass it to fisher instead... he also forced several passes into pau that he never should have attempted...

lakerfreak 03-02-2008 01:45 AM

Re: Semi-interesting Kobe note
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bleedinpurpleTwo
against Portland last night, he had 5 assists in the 1st qtr., NONE the rest of the night.

against Miami the other night, he had 6 assists in the 1st qtr., just 2 the rest of the night.

I noticed in a couple other games, he comes out the same way, then no more assists. Portland beat us. Miami made a little comeback (when they should have been blown out).

why is this?
I will be curious to see if this trend continues tomorrow against Dallas.


Its usually how the defense reacts. For the start of the game when Kobe has the ball, he usually gets doubled immediately so he dishes off.

When the other team finally realizes the whole team is contributing, Kobe isn't doubled as much, then guys like Kobe and Gasol start being more aggressive driving in for points and such.

its usually how we react to the defense.

but yeah I would like him to be more consistent throughout the game.

He could easily average 10 if he wanted to the rate he gets those assists early.

Kobe4MVP 03-02-2008 01:53 AM

Re: Semi-interesting Kobe note
 
I look at it this way...

he uses the 1st quarter to get the other guys going, making sure everyone is in a rhythm, then he starts to look to take over more, using his teammates as decoys, forcing the other team to put him on the line and such. I think it's more of a conscious effort to get everyone rolling off the bat, almost forcing passes early, and if the team is struggling he'll go into kill mode earlier, but if he can get a few guys to carry the team for the first few quarters, it means he can conserve his energy for the 2nd half and the closing run if needed.

lovethetriangle 03-02-2008 07:59 AM

Re: Semi-interesting Kobe note
 
We discussed this last season.

It always seems like Kobe makes a natural, conscious decision on whether he decides to be playmaker or scorer. It's hardly ever a natural transition. It actually scares me.

SoCalMike 03-02-2008 11:05 AM

Re: Semi-interesting Kobe note
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by lovethetriangle
We discussed this last season.

It always seems like Kobe makes a natural, conscious decision on whether he decides to be playmaker or scorer. It's hardly ever a natural transition. It actually scares me.


I think there's an element of truth here... this season, Kobe has done a better job to try to make this "more natural" which is why he is having an MVP season. He's bound to have a few off games, here and there.

The Lakers have played a lot of games lately (something like 6 games in 10 days i think?), so perhaps the team is a little tired.



:pimp:

bleedinpurpleTwo 03-02-2008 10:30 PM

Re: Semi-interesting Kobe note
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by DKLaker
Hmmmm did it occur to you that in Portland he DID pass the ball to guys who were wide open but couldn't hit a shot....thanks D-Fish.

Same type of thing against Miami, but then he realized the guys were ice cold and he had to be more aggressive and take over offensively.

Watch a replay of the games and you will see what really happened.
To get an assist, someone has to be able to make a shot.....right!!!!


So his teammates were good in the first quarter, but sucked in the other 3?... in both games? No.
I watched every minute of both games (and virtually every game this year).
A better answer would be that he is looking to incorporate his teammates early, then take over later.

DKLaker 03-02-2008 10:40 PM

Re: Semi-interesting Kobe note
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bleedinpurpleTwo
So his teammates were good in the first quarter, but sucked in the other 3?... in both games? No.
I watched every minute of both games (and virtually every game this year).
A better answer would be that he is looking to incorporate his teammates early, then take over later.


It's actually a combination of what both of us said. :cheers:

gts 03-02-2008 11:22 PM

Re: Semi-interesting Kobe note
 
ever since he lost the nutella contract he just hasn't been the same....lol

dk and bleedin both make good points and i imagine like dk said it's someplace in the middle....

not about kobe per se..but i also wonder how many times we watch games and because we don't know the behind the scenes of it all we make judgements based on the only info we have which is game time play... an example is last month i think it was turiaf had been a monster then in one game he hardly played at all in a time of the game we really needed him and we all sat and watched as kwame fubled the ball and generaly was unimpressive...the next day we were all over phil for not playing turiaf and then a day or two later we find out turiaf had been playing on a tweaked ankle and struggling....

we all know phil is one who tends to build for the playoffs and i wonder if some of these things are not as much kobe, but phil tweaking the team, using games as practice sessions, pretending bynum is there and using sets that will be used on his return, or possibly even just making sure at this time of the year he's going out of his way to make sure we don't give opponents to much to study on film...


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:37 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy