Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Detroit Pistons Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Hypothetical Scenario: Pistons go after Brand (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=78815)

final.wrath 03-04-2008 06:01 PM

Hypothetical Scenario: Pistons go after Brand

If we fail to get to the finals this season... Flip will be fired.

Beyond that... I think it would be time to make a push for a bonifed post player. Sheed shoots 90% jumpers and only 10% of the time is he posting up.

Rip Hamilton
Jason Maxiell
Aaron Aflallo

for

Elton Brand

Patrick27 03-05-2008 12:56 PM

Re: Hypothetical Scenario: Pistons go after Brand

Turn Stuckey into a SG? no thanks.

Why would you send Rip away first? Wouldn't there be a logjam at the 4?

Brand isn't going to lead anyone to a championship. Sending Rip away would hurt team chemistry really badly - these guys are a family. Haven't you seen when Chauncey introduces the team, he calls Rip "The best shooting guard in the world"?

Give the rookies another year to grow before killing the future. This is a good squad.

Much of this depends on how we fail to make the Finals, but why not let Boston age another year, playing heavy minutes, while we keep both our veteran and young squad growing? Our team has two entirely different looks that it gives every night. It's a GMs dream.

If they don't win it, then that's okay. Until we fail to make the NBA Final Four, then I think the squad must be kept together. They stay healthy (unlike Brand), they are a family, and they produce well for the most part.

If the papers were calling for a change, I'd consider bringing Rip and McDyess off the bench again, ala San Antonio with Ginobili. We have too many options at once, and it'd be nice to start a defensive SG like Afflalo and an energy big like Maxiell. I'd only recommend this if they fail to make the ECF, though.

dd24 03-05-2008 06:01 PM

I think that creates much of the same problem the Pistons already have. They would have 2 power fowards and no real center. That's one of the reasons I like the Ratliff signing. At least that is the position he plays and he can play some defense and block shots off the bench. Maxiell, McDyess, and Wallace are all PF's. I've said from day one they need more down low. I don't think gutting the team to get brand is the way to go. Maybe a center like Krstic from NJ would be a good fit. Let's face it we just don't match up well with Cleveland because Lebron goes to the lane at will against Detroit since Ben hasn't been down there. We need a guy down there to clog up the lane a bit. I am hoping Ratliff will be a band-aid for that this year but he is old and we could use a younger guy down there. Maybe trading up for someone in the draft??? I don't really know what the solution is at this point but I am happy with the team. They have a shot for the best record in the league and we can't be disappointed in that. Rip and Chauncey need to be together for the rest of their careers much like Isiah and Joe D. Having the best back court in the league is definately something I'm not willing to mess with.

final.wrath 03-05-2008 09:29 PM

Elton Brand won't lead a team to the championship? We don't need him to. You do realize how good of a player he is right? Better than Rasheed.

Billups/Stuckey
Aflallo/Dixon
Tayshaun/Hayes
Brand/Amir Johnson
Rasheed/Cheik Samb

that team is going places. there would not be a problem having 2 PFs because almost every team uses two PFs. There are only like 10 true centers in the entire NBA.

Our current problem is our lack of inside offense. We rely on jumpers too much. When you're hot you're hot, and when you're cold you lose. With some consistent inside offense (sheed is mostly a jumpshooter)... our team would be pretty unstoppable.

Patrick27 03-06-2008 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by final.wrath
Our current problem is our lack of inside offense. We rely on jumpers too much. When you're hot you're hot, and when you're cold you lose. With some consistent inside offense (sheed is mostly a jumpshooter)... our team would be pretty unstoppable.

You're absolutely right - when we make shots, our defense can get back and set, force the opposing team to play half court, and usually force a tough shot. We rebound, start our offense again, and the cycle repeats itself.

When we miss and the opposing team likes to run, they can get past our older starting lineup. It makes our guys look bad, although they're actually a fantastic starting unit. I believe they're the highest +/- starting unit in the league. (EDIT: Not anymore, we're now 2nd. ) Still, other teams can go on runs because we don't have great transition defense.

We've won 72.1% of our games this year (current through our loss in Boston) using our jump shooting offense. If our games were decided based on our jump shooting and we win almost 3/4 of them, then I'm happy with that. Let's take that 72.1% into the playoffs and roll the dice.

final.wrath 03-06-2008 11:40 PM

over 7 games we've seen what happens to the pistons attack. the opponents learn all our plays by heart and it turns into a defensive series.

Patrick27 03-07-2008 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by final.wrath
over 7 games we've seen what happens to the pistons attack. the opponents learn all our plays by heart and it turns into a defensive series.

Jump shooting teams are more resistent to this than other teams. We can scout teams that throw the ball into the post and adjust. We can scout teams that penetrate, or don't go left, or whatever the case may be. This happens to all teams, and it's no different if we have Brand, Rip, or Maxiell. The advantage with Rip is that in order to counter his defense, the other team has to run around like crazy to stop it. With Brand, they just need to put a bigger body on him. Brand is not worth max money, just because he's put up numbers on a bad team.

When there's spacing on the floor, they may be able to predict where passes are thrown, but our players are able to read defenses on the fly better than most teams because of chemistry.

danumber88 03-07-2008 12:15 PM

If you take risk you will loose the title as the best team i nthe eastern confrence for a long time.. trading rip wont help and adding in an unhealthy big man..

Id do another trade that doesnt involve rip, maybe tayshaun

Patrick27 03-07-2008 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danumber88
Id do another trade that doesnt involve rip, maybe tayshaun

We can't send away Tayshaun without getting back a starting-quality, durable SF that can shoot, defend, and play in the post. If we can't do that, we might as well keep the durable SF that does all those things.

We're rather thin at SF, which is a problem. Whether Hermann or Hayes are the future remains to be seen, but I think both can provide different things. It'd be nice to keep them both, but they could demand more money than we're able to pay.

final.wrath 03-09-2008 01:09 PM

plus tayshaun is younger. I have faith that if he were given a bigger role in the offense he would really shine.

Just look what happened when Rip got ejected the other night.

dd24 03-09-2008 04:14 PM

It would definately be a bad idea to trade Tayshaun. He creates match up problems on both ends of the floor. Tayshaun is one of those guys who doesn't need all the attention and just goes out and does his job every night. He needs to be a Piston for life.