Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Los Angeles Lakers Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Bynum likely to return during first round of playoffs (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=80677)

ZeN 03-18-2008 11:32 PM

Bynum likely to return during first round of playoffs

Bynum likely to return during first round of playoffs

Associated Press

Updated: March 18, 2008, 8:48 PM ET

Quote:

DALLAS -- The Los Angeles Lakers have finally put a timetable on the return of Andrew Bynum: probably the first round of the playoffs.

Bynum has been out since Jan. 13, when he dislocated his left kneecap and bruised a bone landing on a teammate's foot while going for a rebound. The Lakers haven't been more specific about his recovery than saying he would be out for at least eight weeks.

But before the Lakers played the Mavericks on Tuesday night, coach Phil Jackson said he's not expecting the 20-year-old center to return until the playoffs begin the weekend of April 18-19.

"It's all about swelling, the pounding you take day to day," Jackson said. "He continually battles that. So it could be a couple, three weeks before he's doing some things on the court."

Going into the Mavs game, Los Angeles was 20-10 without Bynum, helped by the addition of Pau Gasol. The Lakers would probably rather not wait until the postseason to get them playing together, but it looks like they might not have a choice.

In his third year, Bynum is averaging 13.1 points, 10.2 rebounds and 2.06 blocked shots. He was leading the NBA in field-goal percentage (63.6 percent) and was among the best in rebounds and blocks when he got hurt.

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press

bleedinpurpleTwo 03-18-2008 11:33 PM

Re: Bynum likely to return during first round of playoffs

fcuk!

crisoner 03-18-2008 11:36 PM

Sucks man.

Well....at least he will be coming back. I don't think we will have the team chemistry needed to make a run......oh well.

Lakers13 03-18-2008 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crisoner
Sucks man.

Well....at least he will be coming back. I don't think we will have the team chemistry needed to make a run......oh well.

He'd prob be coming off the bech at least in the first series, which can still make him pretty useful.

ZeN 03-18-2008 11:44 PM

Back when they made that move for Gasol and how they have been so tight lipped about Bynums progression, that made me feel that he would not be back for quite a while.

Today just confirms my suspicion.

Its like I tell all my friends... This season I will be content with getting out of the first round, anything less is dissapointment. Anything beyond the first round, is more than we REALISTICLY expected before the season began.

If we look at this whole season, this team has gone thru a mountain of change.

Farmar is considerably better. Bynum became a presence in the middle. We got Gasol for freakin' Kwame. And players like Sasha, VRad, and Ronnie are showing that they can do more than take up space.

Next season when this squad gets a whole training camp to mesh and build chemistry.. It will be all over... OVER...

Im just happy to see this team heading in the correct direction, something that has been lacking the past few seasons.

LakerDynasty00 03-19-2008 12:33 AM

Well that sucks. Is Gasol definitely back after the roadtrip though, for the games against Golden State?

Lakers13 03-19-2008 12:46 AM

Phil said he probably wont be there until playoffs. Yet the Times have been keeping us on the up and up with his status. I wont believe in a setback until its printed, I just dont trust ESPN.

gts 03-19-2008 01:01 AM

it's cool, let him get healthy, ... the nice thing about bynum and this stage in his development is that most his points come from being opportunistic, rebounds and alley oops, they don't use a lot of set plays for him, mostly plays that just require recognition on the ball handlers part... so geting him back in the lineup shouldn't be too rough... it's more about his own timing and shaking the rust off his game....

Frank Foley 03-19-2008 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bleedinpurpleTwo
fcuk

They make quality hoodies.

ZeN 03-19-2008 01:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gts
it's cool, let him get healthy, ... the nice thing about bynum and this stage in his development is that most his points come from being opportunistic, rebounds and alley oops, they don't use a lot of set plays for him, mostly plays that just require recognition on the ball handlers part... so geting him back in the lineup shouldn't be too rough... it's more about his own timing and shaking the rust off his game....

Great Points GTS :applause:

211269 03-19-2008 03:39 PM

I knew this was coming :( what would be ideal though is the Lakers getting Golden State in the 1st round. That way, they can play Bynum selectively while still giving him time to get back readjusted. Playing a team where they dont NEED all their big men in there in the 1st round would be good I think.

DaRizzle 03-20-2008 03:26 AM

Not so fast...

Here was Jackson's take Wednesday: "I threw that out there (Tuesday night about being out until the playoffs) to kind of take everything off the table, like, 'OK ... the reality is that if he comes back and plays a Sunday game and a Tuesday game before the (regular) season's over, great. It's still not going to get our rotation and what we want (set); it's just going to be an exercise in kind of getting him back on the court to whatever. We're going to have to figure out how to play still at that time.

More in link

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/a...-jackson-derek

brandonislegend 03-20-2008 06:37 AM

http://rotoworld.com/content/HeadLin...t=NBA&hl=95923

hes cmoing back

GMW 03-20-2008 07:07 AM

finally some good news!

ZeN 03-20-2008 10:41 AM

Well I hope they are basing this time frame by way of a realistic evaluation. I would like, if hes ready, to see Bynum get a few games under his belt before the playoffs arrive hopefully both him and gasol are relatively healthy and can work on being on the court simultaniously.