Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cleveland Cavaliers Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   How would the Cavs fare against the Celtics if we meet in the playoffs? (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=82759)

mlh1981 04-03-2008 07:04 PM

How would the Cavs fare against the Celtics if we meet in the playoffs?

First off, I'll preface this by saying that ANYTHING that happened in head-to-head meetings this season is meaningless, so lets throw those results out the window. If regular season meetings had ANY bearing on the playoffs, then the Cavs would've been too shook up to play Detroit last season. Golden State carried their "ownage" over Dallas into the postseason last year, so that's one exception. I'm sure there are a few others.

Lets be careful before we annoint Boston as the future EC champs. I believe that anytime you have a LeBron James on your team, you stand a chance. Noone on Boston individually can match him, and that group over there has never been through the playoff wars together as a TEAM. They are going to have ALOT of pressure. For that core, this will be THE best team that they have ever played on, and Boston is a very tough media market. This season might just be their best shot. Those are things working against them. Who will carry that team in the latter stages of games? Who will be "the man." THey have successfully answered those questions during regular season competition, but it should be interesting to see what happens when the stakes are raised? Noone on that "core" has won anything in recent memory.

I'm not knocking Boston at all. Mad props for what they have done this season, but I think the Cavs can matchup well against them. I believe we have a mismatch at the center spot. Ilgauskas has a bevy of smarts and moves that he can use against Perkins. I think that Wallace and Varejao can wear out Garnett, who will still post his numbers, but hopefully, will be worn out by the end of the game. LeBron against Pierce is obviously in favor of LeBron, but will LeBron have to extend his energy to guard pierce? I don't like our chances guarding him, or Ray Allen. LeBron can do the job, but you're asking a lot out of him to guard those type of players AND put the biscuit in the basket. Of course, he IS only 23 years old, so he shouldn't be losing energy. If we have a healthy PG tandem come playoff time, I think that offsets the Rondo/Cassell duo.

Intangibles go to us, because of our prior experience and the fact that we would be the underdogs in a potential series. Boston has the better team, they are on a mission, and they have 3 great players and a good supporting cast, but with one LeBron James, a wily Z, and some good outside shooting and perimeter defense, I think we could beat those guys.

1~Gibson~1 04-15-2008 05:54 PM

Re: How would the Cavs fare against the Celtics if we meet in the playoffs?

we fare well against them

Pg-both PG's are good but delonte is better than rondo on defense, rebounds, and shooting. rondo is better at driving and assists.

Sg-we officially have no one to guard ray allen since pavs is injured but we also have a great 3pt shoot in boobie so they will match-up about the same

Sf-we have lebron they have PP. Self-explanitory!!!

Pf-Big Ben and Varejao can get into KG's head. They are gonna slow KG down.

C-Z is WAY underrated on both ends.

Our bench is better on paper but they're bench is realistically better. our bench better step up in the playoffs.

PS MAKE FREE-THROWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mathius 04-15-2008 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1~Gibson~1
we fare well against them

Pg-both PG's are good but delonte is better than rondo on defense, rebounds, and shooting. rondo is better at driving and assists.

Sg-we officially have no one to guard ray allen since pavs is injured but we also have a great 3pt shoot in boobie so they will match-up about the same

Sf-we have lebron they have PP. Self-explanitory!!!

Pf-Big Ben and Varejao can get into KG's head. They are gonna slow KG down.

C-Z is WAY underrated on both ends.

Our bench is better on paper but they're bench is realistically better. our bench better step up in the playoffs.

PS MAKE FREE-THROWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The best thing going for us is we play better against good teams.

If Wallace and Z can control Garnett, we have a much better chance. IIRC Allen has historically hurt us. However, I think Devin Brown is a much better defender than given credit. I think he needs to have a lot better conditioning though. He is a poor man's version of Lebron without the scoring. He fills up a stat sheet.

Lebron cancels out Pierce, and we're probably better at C and PG, but no way is Gibson or anyone on the Cavs better than Allen.

It would be nice to see Wally step up against his old team, and get some scoring off the bench from Joe Smith and/or Gibson.

Mathius

InLebronWeTrust 04-15-2008 07:54 PM

In my opinion, it's going to all come down to guard play. We need Gibson to be going on full tilt and put up some numbers like last year in the playoffs.

Poseidon 04-16-2008 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5 2 3 5
They'd have no chance. Boston in 6.

It depends on LeBron's health. The Cavs have proven they can beat the Celtics this season. They will obviously need their role players to step up in the series and play CONSISTENT. However the game is going to be decided on the defensive end. Cleveland has shown that they can be a really good defensive team when they want to. With a superstar like LeBron, Cleveland can beat any team in any series.

Boston is and should be the favorites but as I've been saying for the past couple of months now....I think Cleveland will pull an upset in round 2. The key is STEALING one of the first two games in Boston. IF Cleveland does that, they will be in a really good position to advance.

Prediction: Cavs in 6

InLebronWeTrust 04-16-2008 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5 2 3 5
They'd have no chance. Boston in 6.

I think I heard that when we were about play Detroit last year. We were gonna get owned! Ah yes..

Mathius 04-16-2008 10:16 PM

Where is RedBlackAttack and why does he always disappear around playoff time?

Last year he stopped posting completely just before the Finals. I don't get it.

Mathius

shaoyut 04-18-2008 07:22 PM

pav needs to come back

Mathius 04-18-2008 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shaoyut
pav needs to come back

He sucks, get a life. Devin Brown is playing way better.

Mathius

1~Gibson~1 04-18-2008 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mathius
He sucks, get a life. Devin Brown is playing way better.

Mathius

true but he's the best guy that can guard caron, gilbert, rip, and ray allen.

mlh1981 04-19-2008 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mathius
Where is RedBlackAttack and why does he always disappear around playoff time?

Last year he stopped posting completely just before the Finals. I don't get it.

Mathius

I don't recall him posting much in the Cavs forum to begin with.

I remember him not posting much in the offseason last year. I was usually out somewhere watching the Cavs playoff games, so I personally wasn't around for many of the game threads. Perhaps he was doing the same thing?

Speaking of Cavs posters who are MIA, whatever happened to AKADS? :confusedshrug:

Mathius 04-19-2008 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlh1981
I don't recall him posting much in the Cavs forum to begin with.

I remember him not posting much in the offseason last year. I was usually out somewhere watching the Cavs playoff games, so I personally wasn't around for many of the game threads. Perhaps he was doing the same thing?

Speaking of Cavs posters who are MIA, whatever happened to AKADS? :confusedshrug:

His Damon Jones avatar finally imploded from Jones' huge ego?

Seriously though, I know RBA never posted in the Cavs forum, but what a time of year to stop talking basketball?

Mathius