Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   NBA Draft Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   DJ Augustin (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=83503)

SonOHammerwafer 04-09-2008 08:57 PM

DJ Augustin

Is this guy declaring for the draft? I think he would be the best PG of his draft class if he did, including better than the overrated Rose.

KNOW1EDGE 04-09-2008 10:09 PM

Re: DJ Augustin

I think he is gonna declare. He will be a lotto pick so I dont see why he wouldnt.

And if you think DJ is better than Rose you are sadly mistaken.

Did you watch the Memphis VS Texas game?

Rose was obviousley FAR superior to DJ.

Rose is faster, stronger, more athletic, bigger and will most definately have the better NBA career.

You probably live in Texas huh?

CaptainOwlClub 04-09-2008 10:17 PM

worst talent evaluation ever put on this site

this is the nba- there has been thousands of 5-10 college pg's- chris paul is a once in a generation type player- augustine isn't

he may have a jameer nelson type cieling- the cieling for rose's talent is higher than jkidd- we are talking one of many vs one in a million

dj augustine is nowhere near the level of rose- or westbrook, bayless, oj, or gordon & courtney lee

guys like augutine and lawson may play in the nba but niether will be stars- even collison is a better fit as a rotation player in the nba

augustine would be smart to return to texas and give the draft a shot nexy year when he pg spot isnt so loaded- I wish collison ould be smart enough to return- curry,jennings.....

but maybe the c paul effect will keep getting these college pg's drafted so i cant blame them from taking the jobs

SonOHammerwafer 04-09-2008 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptainOwlClub
worst talent evaluation ever put on this site

this is the nba- there has been thousands of 5-10 college pg's- chris paul is a once in a generation type player- augustine isn't

he may have a jameer nelson type cieling- the cieling for rose's talent is higher than jkidd- we are talking one of many vs one in a million

dj augustine is nowhere near the level of rose- or westbrook, bayless, oj, or gordon & courtney lee

guys like augutine and lawson may play in the nba but niether will be stars- even collison is a better fit as a rotation player in the nba

augustine would be smart to return to texas and give the draft a shot nexy year when he pg spot isnt so loaded- I wish collison ould be smart enough to return- curry,jennings.....

but maybe the c paul effect will keep getting these college pg's drafted so i cant blame them from taking the jobs

What I like best about Augustin is his clutchness and mentality. I'm not from Texas, actually I'm from LA, and my team is UCLA.

CaptainOwlClub 04-10-2008 01:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SonOHammerwafer
What I like best about Augustin is his clutchness and mentality. I'm not from Texas, actually I'm from LA, and my team is UCLA.

then why cant you see by watching a guy like wetbrook and seeing what happened when both of our ucla bruins, when guys that are 6-4 and 6-5 guys that can do the things that 5-10 5-11 guys can do- those are the pros that make impacts- most people would be suprised to see a guy like steve nash - i swear he is 6-4 - jason kidd is a huge person

the nba is a sport for freaks- to be an effective nba player at that size is very difficult - i really think there are not that many small guys that could be considered great- since isah iverson, c paul- imo augustine is not one of these- there are gaurds in this draft who have potential to be greats- led clearly by rose

SonOHammerwafer 04-10-2008 03:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptainOwlClub
then why cant you see by watching a guy like wetbrook and seeing what happened when both of our ucla bruins, when guys that are 6-4 and 6-5 guys that can do the things that 5-10 5-11 guys can do- those are the pros that make impacts- most people would be suprised to see a guy like steve nash - i swear he is 6-4 - jason kidd is a huge person

the nba is a sport for freaks- to be an effective nba player at that size is very difficult - i really think there are not that many small guys that could be considered great- since isah iverson, c paul- imo augustine is not one of these- there are gaurds in this draft who have potential to be greats- led clearly by rose

Call me crazy, I see Rose as the Tyrus Thomas/Stromile Swift of PGs. He doesn't seem very bright and he shoots freethrows just as well as Shaq. I hope his jumper improves and I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think I am.

disco 04-18-2008 08:54 AM

Quote:

Call me crazy, I see Rose as the Tyrus Thomas/Stromile Swift of PGs. He doesn't seem very bright and he shoots freethrows just as well as Shaq. I hope his jumper improves and I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think I am.

What the hell is a "Tyrus Thomas/Stromile Swift of pg's" and are you saying he's basketball IQ isn't good for a freshman guard? I think he can really become the best pg in the league. If Memphis played like e.g. some of the Big 10 teams, everyone would be raving about Rose's playmaking. Towards the end of the season he was up there with the very best in seeing the court, creating open jumpers for his teammates etc.

The way Memphis played, even if John Stockton played for them he wouldn't look like a dominating floor general. They force the tempo and wanted that from Rose too.

In leading the fastbreak, he was almost like Jason Kidd. He's also already a great passer and can drive past anyone and either finisgh himself with either hand or pass the ball to an open teammate for a three. Yes, he needs to demonstrate he can play in half court offense better and direct the half court set, but Rose is almost there already and as close to a can't miss pg prospect there is.

monthh 04-18-2008 01:34 PM

After his freshman season he is as good of an NBA prospect as I have seen as a PG. He reminds me of Baron Davis or Kevin Johnson more than Kidd because I don't think he is a 11 assist kind of guy, but could be a 20 point guy, which Kidd is not. Whoever drafts him better be ready to build their team to be up-tempo. I also think that they need to be willing to wait for him to come into his own as a player. He will turn the ball over a lot and take a lot of bad shots his first couple seasons. They can't be like Boston and trade him just because he gets off to a slow start like they did Billups.

disco 04-18-2008 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monthh
After his freshman season he is as good of an NBA prospect as I have seen as a PG. He reminds me of Baron Davis or Kevin Johnson more than Kidd because I don't think he is a 11 assist kind of guy, but could be a 20 point guy, which Kidd is not. Whoever drafts him better be ready to build their team to be up-tempo. I also think that they need to be willing to wait for him to come into his own as a player. He will turn the ball over a lot and take a lot of bad shots his first couple seasons. They can't be like Boston and trade him just because he gets off to a slow start like they did Billups.

Definitely not like Kidd in general, but as a pg running the fast break, he's the closest thing to Kidd for some time. There are similarities in KJ and Kidd, but Rose has much more strength.

Posterize246 04-18-2008 08:09 PM

Quote:

sounds like what was said of Acie Law last year.and you see what happened with that experiment.the hawks traded for bibby

tsforthrees 04-19-2008 02:01 AM

whoever gets derrick rose is getting the third best young point in the league behind williams and paul. whoever gets augustin is going to be sorely dissappointed. he won't amount to anything in the nba. he may start, but he'll never play for a winner.

monthh 04-19-2008 04:37 PM

Augustin will be a good role player, but I don't think will ever be a great player. You insert him into a team like the Celtics and I think he could be like Rondo. Winning always makes you look like a better player. But if you plug him into the Bulls or Bobcats and he wouldn't even do as well as Hinrich or Felton I don't think. However, I don't think there are many guys in this draft that would really be big difference makers in their careers, so even late in the lottery I do think he could be a good pickup.

I'd say he falls somewhere between Bobby Jackson and TJ Ford.

disco 05-15-2008 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monthh
Augustin will be a good role player, but I don't think will ever be a great player. You insert him into a team like the Celtics and I think he could be like Rondo. Winning always makes you look like a better player. But if you plug him into the Bulls or Bobcats and he wouldn't even do as well as Hinrich or Felton I don't think. However, I don't think there are many guys in this draft that would really be big difference makers in their careers, so even late in the lottery I do think he could be a good pickup.

I'd say he falls somewhere between Bobby Jackson and TJ Ford.

I agree, but the fact that he's clearly the best pure pg (Rose isn't) of the draft, he may get picked higher than he should. I think he's more 20-25 material than lottery. The emerge of Paul and D.Williams may also lift his stock, but then again the fact that Conley didn't contribute immediately could have a negative effect (I know it's stupid, but trends like this do affect the draft).

I don't think the quality of pg's in this draft is very good. Lawson has some potential, but picking him is a risk (is he definitely in?)

Efunk7 05-19-2008 07:38 PM

if steve nash can be as successful as he has been, i see no reason why augustin cannot as well...

monthh 05-20-2008 02:19 AM

Disco, I don't really agree because I think PG tend to fall more than any other PG. Unless you are a sure thing like Paul, Williams, and I will say Conley (who was hurt, which is why he didn't contribute from the start) you have the chance to fall. I personally think he is worth a 15-20 pick, which is where I end up thinking he goes.

I'm not sure what to think of Lawson though. As a UNC fan I want to think he is going to be a great player, but I am just not sold. He is going to have a hard time against the bigger, more physical points in the NBA. I like him off the bench more I think. I think Indiana would be a good fit so he can run, as his fast break offense is what makes him a good prospect. But at #11 that seems too high. I think a more realistic choice is the Clippers in the 2nd round if they build their team somewhat like the Sixers have.

I do agree, however that this is an extremely weak draft. Even if you count Bayless and Westbrook, you may only have 4 PG in the 1st round, all of whom may be lottery picks.