Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Detroit Pistons Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   First round playoff opponent… (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=83810)

Sonic R 04-12-2008 10:11 AM

First round playoff opponent…

Well I'm looking at the standings, and there are quite a few teams that are in position to end up at the 7th seed.

With 3 games remaining…

40-39 — Toronto Raptors
40-39 — Philadelphia Seventy-Sixers
41-38 — Washington Bullets/Wizards

What team would the Pistons favor to meet in the first round of the 2008 NBA Playoffs?

In the case of most fans, including myself, folks would like to see the Cavs and Washington face off! Washington is in position to maybe take home court from the Cavs or spiral down to the 7th seed and face us…

The 6 seed is a trip to Disney World where Cinderella may make it far in the dance… A trip to the Semi's would be a great success for the Raptors or the 76ers so these teams have alot of fight and will play these 3 final games with vigor (Toronto visits the Palace on Sunday LIVE on ABC at 1pm)

dd24 04-13-2008 06:59 PM

Re: First round playoff opponent…

I'd say that Philly is the easiest out of that group. I've had the chance to see Toronto play live this year and they are a solid ball club although still no match for the Pistons. If Gilbert Arenas is playing the Wizards could be tough too.

Patrick27 04-14-2008 11:58 AM

I'd want Detroit to face:

Toronto
Washington
Philly

In that order.

Toronto's pretty soft and other than Bosh, the team has already given up hope of making it to the second round. I expect Bosh to take the loss hard and start calling for help over the summer. 4-1 is a worst case scenario for Detroit, even if they slack off.

Washington hasn't had time to gel since Arenas has returned, and they don't have enough firepower to beat the Pistons in a 7 game series. Most likely series to end 4-2, but there's no way Detroit loses the series.

Philly is scrappy - moreso than these other teams. They're a few years away from contending, but they are the most likely team to fight hard for a rebound and cause an injury to a Piston. 4-2 is a worst case for Detroit, but the risk of a physical series is a greater concern.

Sonic R 04-16-2008 12:54 PM

Well the season wraps up tonight…

Last night, with a win against the T'Wolves, the Pistons secured home court should they advance to the Finals.

Well for Round 1, the Pistons will face the Philidelphia Seventy-Sixers.
This looks to be a bit of a challange for the Pistons. Be ready to see the veterans play time to increase and hopefully the Pistons will dispatch them in 6 or less games…

For the second round, it will be the winner between the:

Orlando Magic
and
Toronto Raptors

I think the Pistons will have an easier time with either of these teams than with Philidelphia.

We already know whats in store for the ECF…

Good Luck, Pistons!
:cheers:

Patrick27 04-16-2008 02:45 PM

Bummer, we ended up with Philly. I just hope it doesn't take too much effort to beat them. I'd like to see the starters take it to them hard, and then we should have some time to rest up before round 2.

I'm totally looking past Philly (as most everyone is), but I really hope Flip can get them to be motivated for this round.

dd24 04-18-2008 07:16 PM

We all know that the players haven't really listened to Flip much since he's been there but they have been gelling a little more at the end of this season. I think the Pistons will be motivated for the playoffs, although it may not be totally because of Flip. I almost think it's time for a coaching change, especially if Detroit doesn't impress us this post season. You can't have a team where all your players and your coach don't get along well. Naturally the Pistons aren't going to overhaul their roster to keep Flip around. I think Carlisle is the best coach we've had since Daly, although he had people problems too, they weren't as bad as Brown or Saunders. Even if Flip doesn't get them motivated for Philly, I don't see them beating Detroit.

Patrick27 04-19-2008 04:21 PM

Even if Flip isn't the guy they'll listen to, there are some great assistants with Detroit. Terry Porter and Dave Cowens are both capable of head coaching, and have done so in the past. Lindsey Hunter is pretty much a coach these days. Rasheed and Chauncey are very intelligent players and do a good job leading the team.

Even if Flip is being tuned out, the team still has plenty of voice without him. I know Dumars is high on him, but I don't think it would change too much if the head coach was changed out, assuming most of those other pieces could be kept together.

Sonic R 04-19-2008 09:53 PM

I am not a fan of Flip but the Pistons do have a solid staff. Guys like Porter, Cowens, and Michael Curry… I just hope they are able to make the right decisions and get these players ready to compete and win and be a force for change if something or someone is not working out. If Rip is having a horrible game, BRING in a Stuckey or Dixon. If Sheed or Dyess are struggling, give Amir or Maxiell a chance to bring some energy. Its going to be a game like chess and the Pistons have alot of pieces to counter with… they just need to make them and make them right.

Rick Carlisle was able to embrace change and Prince was discovered. Larry Brown was a genius at using players at the right time. Flip and the staff need to be proactive and we should realize success. We got the personnel, now we just need to maximize it!

final.wrath 04-21-2008 09:00 PM

okay a game 1 loss... not the end of the world but a troubling sign.

Rasheed said the loss was his fault. I don't really agree but at least they aren't making excuses or just shrugging off the loss as a fluke.

dd24 04-21-2008 10:41 PM

The first 3 quarters of the game it really felt like the Pistons weren't going to have any problems. There were some short jumpers I thought they should have hit but then I realized they were shooting over 50% at the time anyway so it wasn't a huge deal. It seemed like every shot they took was wide open. But somehow Philly kept it close and was able to close it out. That is what worries me the most. Not necessarily in this series but if they Pistons make it to the next round they need to have that killer instinct to finish out a ball game.

Sonic R 04-25-2008 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick27
Philly is scrappy - moreso than these other teams. They're a few years away from contending, but they are the most likely team to fight hard for a rebound and cause an injury to a Piston. 4-2 is a worst case for Detroit, but the risk of a physical series is a greater concern.

Good call Patrick27.

This is EXACTLY what is happening now…

I really wanted Toronto…

dd24 04-25-2008 10:33 PM

Definately a good call but, Philly isn't one of the better teams in the NBA. Detroit should not be struggling with them the way they are. I really wonder what it would look like if we were playing one of those other teams. Detroit just looks terrible right now.