Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Golden State Warriors Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   What do you think of Baron Davis? (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=844)

insidehoops 06-09-2006 03:05 PM

What do you think of Baron Davis?

What do you love about him and not love about him?

Talking about his game, not just the "stay healthy" stuff

xfactor99 06-09-2006 03:43 PM

He does not make the players around him better.

He basically killed any chance of Mike Dunleavy progressing as a player this year. It doesn't help that we have no inside game, but even if we did, Baron would still refuse to get the ball inside to them. His shooting percentages are terrible, and his assist totals inflated. I never liked the deal from the onset, it looks pretty crummy now.

Jazz Rockets all the way 06-09-2006 06:08 PM

i dont like players like him cos hes a pg , i respect an all that hes 1 hell of a scorer but i think a pg shouldnt get more than 18+ points just focus on assists n shit, plus if you jason richardson step up more i reckon he could do it

Chamberlain 06-09-2006 06:32 PM

Davis can't help it that he's an offensive threat. He has the ability to put the ball in the hoop and his team needs him to do that to be succesful. When he first got traded to the Warriors his lines were like 18pts, 14ast, 6reb.. he's the kind of player who can score AND make his team mates better. And "when healthy" he's one of the top point guards in the league. He does make some bad decisions and can be turnover prone as well, but that comes when you handle the ball most of the game and try to set up other players.

lawlerslaw100 06-13-2006 10:26 PM

BD

I am happy that Clips failed to acquire this guy who is Stephon MArbury West.
He started great and regressed and the Warriors are stuck with his contract
unless they can get the Knicks to swap Marbury for him.:hammerhead:

chains5000 06-14-2006 05:44 AM

He sucks, 38.9 % in FG??? :banghead:

UCLAlegend32 07-04-2006 05:47 PM

Bdiddy is a stud sadly his career has been palgued by injuries. if he could stay healthy he'll be an allstar.

gmoney423 07-10-2006 07:07 PM

# 2 in the league in assists

This constantly baffles me that Baron gets called selfish when he was second in the league in assists at the time of his injury. I have followed this guys career since he was at UCLA and he was always a special player capable of dishing and scoring when necessary.

The fact of the matter is, outside of Richardson, there was nobody on this team that was a good shooter. If I am Baron driving to the hole and i see Dunleavy waiting in the corner with that deer in the headlights look in his eyes, I am going to keep the ball and try my luck at the line. It should be noted that Richardson thrived when Baron was in there increasing his scoring average and his profile as a high flyer.

I think we fail to recognize one other thing that Baron brought to the team, the high flying circus act that was the warriors. Both Richardson and Pietrus love playing with him because he gets them easy, spectacular buckets which then translates to confidence and defense. I can only imagine what kind of nasty dunks O'Bryant will get if he fills the lanes and runs like he is capable.

Sure he shot a low percentage but thats because he is the ONLY guy on the team (save monte ellis) who can create his own shot and he had to do it with the shotclock running out at least ten times a game. That will bring your average down.

Give Baron a shot, he is going to kill it this year. He saw Dunleavy, Richardson, and the rest of the youngsters develop while sitting on the bench and will have more confidence in getting them the ball. Once they all click, we have a squad.

Now if we can get one of our big men to have a breakout year, we should be fine.

Lakers_Kobe_Fan 07-10-2006 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chains5000
He sucks, 38.9 % in FG??? :banghead:

he is a bum......he has never been healthy .....I am warriors fan ...dont start writing me hate reply after this...takes too many 3's

yeahwhathesaid 07-11-2006 06:52 AM

that percenatage is horrbile consicdering he averaged 17ppg last season

The Real GM 07-11-2006 04:36 PM

Davis should be traded immediately. He has a bloated contract and has been noted as a cancer from many coaches. He forced his way out of New Orleans like a baby, and they already have a pg who will end up better than him, most likely. He munipulates the ball too much and jacks up way too many 3's. As stated in previous columns, he shoots around 39% from the field and turnover prone. He also is injury-plagued every year and misses way too many games. A possible trade could be Davis to Denver for Andre Miller and Ruben Patterson. The salaries match up perfectly, and Patterson is an expiring contract. Patterson would also bring defense and a swagger that this team lacks. I have seen Miller evolve into a solid pg over the years. He's unselfish and could throw that lob pass to J-Rich. He's not a good defender, but is alot cheaper than Davis. He also has limited shooting range, but at least he doesn't try to jack up 3's. He plays within his mid-range game, opposed to Davis who constantly jacks up 3's only to build a brick-house. I wrote on this team earlier this week and mentioned that they jacked-up the most 3's in the league and shoot the lowest %. Nobody on this team should be shooting 3's on a consistent basis, but thats Montgomery's fault for not putting a stop to it. They have a great post-player in Ike Diogu who I think should start, and could have a break-out year. What happened to Murphy playing more inside when he used to average over 10 rpg? Oh yeah, he's turned into a softy and sat outside the arc lauching 3's as well. It's not only Davis who I think should be gone. The list includes Murphy, Dunleavy, Pietrus, and Foyle (impossible with his contract), but the Spurs got a rid of Nesterovic who had a similar deal. As I stated in a previous column this team needs to rebuild and trade for expiring contracts and defensive players. Also, a few high % jump shooters wouldn't be bad. This team should be focused around Richardson, Diogu, and Ellis. They also need a proven NBA head coach. To end on a positive note, Mullin made a beautiful trade getting rid of Fisher's bloated contract for three expiring contracts in Brown, McLeod, and Owens. I think Brown can be a pleasent, much cheaper surprise.

fatboy11 07-11-2006 08:52 PM

He's a coach killer and more concerned with being flashy than being effective.

And he's always out of shape.

GSW_Hoops 07-13-2006 03:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lawlerslaw100
I am happy that Clips failed to acquire this guy who is Stephon MArbury West.

:wtf: How did this come about? Davis was second in in the nba in assists and had he been healthy the warriors would have been a lock for the playoffs, and unlike marbury davis has carried a team to the playoffs before. anybody remember the hornets team that made the playoffs a few years back?...ALL Baron!

shafir 07-21-2006 09:08 AM

marbury

Marbury also brought the Knicks to the playoffs in 2004, and I think he'll do it again this year, with Isiah as coach :banana: If Isiah can't bring the Knicks to the playoffs, he'll be fired, and we have five more years of ''rebuilding'' ahead of us :violin:

sixty 07-22-2006 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GSW_Hoops
:wtf: How did this come about? Davis was second in in the nba in assists and had he been healthy the warriors would have been a lock for the playoffs, and unlike marbury davis has carried a team to the playoffs before. anybody remember the hornets team that made the playoffs a few years back?...ALL Baron!

If Amare would be healthy Suns would the be NBA champions :rollingeyes: .