Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Toronto Raptors Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Chuck Swirsky leaving Raptors (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=86970)

kaiteng 05-06-2008 04:03 PM

Chuck Swirsky leaving Raptors

I just heard his announcement on FAN590. Chuck Swirsky will resign from Toronto Raptors play-by-play announcer to go back to Chicago to be Chicago Bulls radio play-by-play announcer. He said it's a private reason, probably about his family.

Shocking news, since I start watching the Raps during the Swirsk era. He will be very missed.

bballnoob 05-06-2008 04:08 PM

Re: Chuck Swirsky leaving Raptors

Wow gonna be weird not having Chuck anymore. Gonna wait before this is official but shocking nonetheless. Not a great announcer but he was synonomous with the Raptor's, you expected his voice every game. Hopefully he takes Leo with him too.

insidehoops 05-06-2008 04:30 PM

http://www.insidehoops.com/swirsky-l...s-050608.shtml

danumber88 05-06-2008 04:41 PM

Chuck was 'entertaining'... oh well i guess ill miss his

Salami and Cheese

bk33 05-06-2008 05:46 PM

yeah it's gonna feel weird for sure.

i wonder who's next..good luck working with leo.

Travis_Bickle 05-06-2008 06:20 PM

I'll be honest, I was getting a little tired of the salami and cheese phrase. But he was still fun at times. Good luck to him.

Chamberlain 05-06-2008 06:32 PM

I'm a huge Chuck fan, and this comes as a shock to me. I agree with bballnoob in that everytime you tune into a game it's just natural to hear his voice. He won't be missed by all, but he'll be missed by me.

HalphbreedBaller 05-06-2008 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaiteng
I just heard his announcement on FAN590. Chuck Swirsky will resign from Toronto Raptors play-by-play announcer to go back to Chicago to be Chicago Bulls radio play-by-play announcer. He said it's a private reason, probably about his family.

Shocking news, since I start watching the Raps during the Swirsk era. He will be very missed.

Ill miss him there is nothing like a good game when he is calling it...

Well it just means more for my boy Jack Armstrong HELLO!!!

Tool 05-06-2008 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HalphbreedBaller
Ill miss him there is nothing like a good game when he is calling it...

Jack doesn't do play by play man, thats why hes on when Leo isn't. Either of those guys do the play by play.

I think the Raps will look cheap and just make Paul Jones the tv play by play man.

DoubleTech 05-06-2008 07:56 PM

i'm not religious... but i prayed every night for swirsky to be fired or leave or something...

i'm going to church for the 1st time ever this sunday... i'm a believer.

Dr.Funk 05-06-2008 08:45 PM

This sucks.

Easily one of the best play-by-play men in the business.

But family comes first, so he's doing the right thing.

The Italian 05-06-2008 08:53 PM

I can't say that I am going to miss him. He definitely got very annoying at times and some of his catch phrases just bugged the **** out of me. It will be strange not hearing him call the games though, that is for sure. I admit that he was probably one of the better play by play men in the buisness though and I doubt the replacement will be any better.

Paul Jones or somebody like him will most likely be the replacement.

Quote:

This doesn't mean more of Jack Armstrong unfortunately as he is a colour commentator and not a play by play man. He only does games when they are on Sportsnet and Raptors TV (?). We are going to be seeing very little of him next season though as Sportsnet isn't covering too many games, if any. I think I read that somewhere.

Phesto 05-06-2008 09:27 PM

Best news I've heard all day. Other than having a good TV/Radio voice, Chuck Swirsky proved time and again that he didn't know what the hell he was talking about during broadcasts. Sometimes the things he said left me crouched down in the shower, letting cold water cover up my tears.

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Italian
This doesn't mean more of Jack Armstrong unfortunately as he is a colour commentator and not a play by play man. He only does games when they are on Sportsnet and Raptors TV (?). We are going to be seeing very little of him next season though as Sportsnet isn't covering too many games, if any. I think I read that somewhere.

Sportsnet won't be doing any games as far as I know, but it's been stated that Jack Armstrong will be involved in Raptor broadcasts next season. Certainly he'll be on the RaptorsTV panel, but also on the national broadcasts in some way.

bokes15 05-06-2008 09:31 PM

Man, I was following along with Chuck back in the day when they only broadcast 50% or less of Raptors games in Canada and I listened to him on the radio... This is sad news, it's not gonna be the same without him. He was very passionate about Raptors ball and I think that was unmatched.

Reef 05-06-2008 09:33 PM

I'll miss Chuck..too bad it couldn't be Leo. Paul Jones and Jack "Hello!" Armstrong would be a good team.