Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Philadelphia 76ers Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Allen Iverson - trade him or keep him (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=875)

insidehoops 06-09-2006 03:29 PM

Allen Iverson - trade him or keep him

Iverson is getting up there in age and although he's still The Answer, he doesn't have forever to win a championship. Is it time to trade him and start over?

But if you trade Iverson it probably makes sense to also trade Chris Webber and just build around young players, right? Wrong?

SixerFan03 06-09-2006 05:15 PM

If Iverson wants to be traded, trade him, but short of that, it's pretty hard to do so.

Quote:

Originally Posted by insidehoops
But if you trade Iverson it probably makes sense to also trade Chris Webber and just build around young players, right? Wrong?

Basically. We trade Iverson, but keep Webber.

HoustonRockets87 06-10-2006 07:02 AM

is ay trade him and webber too if possible. the only problem with webber is that there won't be many takers. there is no way short of a miracle that the sixers can ever win a championship in the situation they are in with AI.

wally_world 06-11-2006 05:08 AM

i'll say keep AI, but put him back up to the SG position... the team needs a playmaker and a stronger bench... a good draft pick will help them... maybe trade John Salmons plus a second round pick for a passing PG like Brevin Knight, who is on the trading block...

maybe they can sign some free-agents, but their cap-room is very limited, AI Webber and Dalembert are very highly paid... we'll see, i don't wanna be their GM next season... sigh... :ohwell:

lollol604 06-11-2006 09:11 AM

still the answer at 30ppg and 7-8 assist a game. just need some guys on his team that can play something called DEFENCE.

HoustonRockets87 06-11-2006 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lollol604
just need some guys on his team that can play something called DEFENCE.

including himself :)

ppierce34 06-11-2006 08:36 PM

I can live with Iverson's defense. It's never been pretty and he'll always play safety. He just needs to be surrounded by guys that actually know how to play defense and have a desire to play defense.

HoustonRockets87 06-12-2006 12:56 AM

ai is still a great scorer, but he's 31. he's only got a couple season left at best before he starts to decline. the sixers are only mediocre at best with him. they should trade him while his trade value is still pretty high and try and rebuild or they wont compete for a title for a very very very long time.

ppierce34 06-12-2006 04:01 PM

And in a couple seasons Iverson and Webber will both be off the books. I'd be willing to part with Iverson, but if it's gonna be for the type of deals I'd saw. No, I'd rather let him expire.

23jordan23 06-13-2006 01:47 PM

Long Time A.i Fan

U philly cats seem to realize the problem ..Its not Iverson the guy that goes out every night and works his ass off its the crappy philly management that since 96' when A.I came into the leauge cannot still build a team around this guy ..How does the 6ers go from a coach like Larry Brown to Maurice Cheeks? thats like owning a Benz and trading it in for a Civic...They've lost alot of good players in past that are now developed in Solid Nba players (Larry Hughes,Raja Bell) another mistake is putting iverson as a PG he's not a Pg ..eventhouh he played that in Georgetown ..Hes a straight out scorer..The problem is pretty much Billy Knight is a Cheap Bastard that scared to spend money on Big players/Big Coaches..why would u spend money on a injury prone almost washed up player in C-webb..C webb was a great player but someone that can B a 1-2 punch for Iverson (I dont think so)...so becuase he figures he runs the team he has to pick soomeone to point the finger to so he chooses Iverson a PLayer who Billy Kight was on his Jock for years n talked like hed never trade Iverson and Iversons Here Forever..So Philly people the problem is not Iverson the problem is Ur management they've failed to equip the answer with a great crop of players .I hope Iverson does leave philly becuase it seems the people that likes him and supported him for years and forgot what he has done for the city are all bashing on him and backstabbing...I would like to see him go to T-wolves and win a ring with KG ..and comeback to philly flashing his ring.

23jordan23 06-13-2006 01:52 PM

lol i meant Billy King lolol my bad

Baller 06-13-2006 02:32 PM

After the quotes from BK, and the reports from beat writers, I really have a bad feeling that Ivy is going to be moved for basically youth, and picks, and that's all. BK has repeated that getting more athletic and defensive minded is key. I know it seems that Denver is the most Interested, Philly doesn't want any part of Nene, or Miller or any other of their crap. And Denver doesn't have any Draft picks either this year, or good ones in future years. I guess the " Dark Horse " here might be Atlanta. But they just lost that court case as of two days ago, so that muddles things up. I guess the new owners might want a drawing card like Ivy. But it's whether or not we can get one of their young drafted players from a year or so ago, and multiple 1st rounders in years to come. But if not them, then we may end up getting average player/s
and not very high draft picks for Ivy. But I expect it to happen now.

SixerFan03 06-13-2006 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 23jordan23
U philly cats seem to realize the problem ..Its not Iverson the guy that goes out every night and works his ass off its the crappy philly management that since 96' when A.I came into the leauge cannot still build a team around this guy

They had a good team around him in 2001. Before the Mutombo trade, that Sixers team complimented Iverson perfectly. After the trade, it was still very good, but was missing a bench. Then they just ripped it apart (Hill and Lynch for Harpring and Coleman.

Quote:

How does the 6ers go from a coach like Larry Brown to Maurice Cheeks? thats like owning a Benz and trading it in for a Civic...

True. LB leaves everywhere at some point, but Cheeks isn't the best replacement (and neither was Ayers, Ford, or O'Brien).

Quote:

They've lost alot of good players in past that are now developed in Solid Nba players (Larry Hughes,Raja Bell)

I don't think Hughes would have turned into a good player if he stayed here. He needed to play on a bad team like GS where he could learn from his mistakes.

Quote:

another mistake is putting iverson as a PG he's not a Pg ..eventhouh he played that in Georgetown ..Hes a straight out scorer..

Well, the idea is to get the ball in his hands faster so that a zone can't set up to stop him. But maybe Iverson should be allowed to focus on just scoring. Doing everything on every possession probably takes a big toll on his body. If they bring in a real PG, this PG needs to be able to play defense, make smart decisions, and score. Sort of like a cross between Eric Snow and Aaron McKie back in 2001 (that's not too much to ask for). They should also run more plays out of the high post for C-Webb to set people up.

Quote:

The problem is pretty much Billy Knight is a Cheap Bastard that scared to spend money on Big players/Big Coaches..

Billy King (not Knight) spends money, he just spends it badly. Although right now, Comcast wants to get under the Luxary Tax level. There is a cap, too, so teams can't really spend big money whenever they want.

23jordan23 06-13-2006 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SixerFan03
They had a good team around him in 2001. Before the Mutombo trade, that Sixers team complimented Iverson perfectly. After the trade, it was still very good, but was missing a bench. Then they just ripped it apart (Hill and Lynch for Harpring and Coleman.

For sure i loved the team with ratliff and lynch ..But we were still missing a scottie pippen type the team was a solid defensive squad thats main source of scoring came out of scoring like75-80% it was A.I. We needed that scorer to drop in the 15-20 points per night to compliment Iversons 25-30 a night ..we did have stack and tim thomas ..stack was too busy thinking he was the next Jordan cuz he came outta NC and Tim Thomas isnt really a Complimentary player..hes more a Role Player.

True. LB leaves everywhere at some point, but Cheeks isn't the best replacement (and neither was Ayers, Ford, or O'Brien).
They just did the Cheecks thing to make Iverson happy ..but if u own a team u not only want people happy u wanna bring wuts best out there and even if it meant Begging John Thompson to come outta retirement u do it lol

I don't think Hughes would have turned into a good player if he stayed here. He needed to play on a bad team like GS where he could learn from his mistakes.

No man he was showing great potential ..ya ur right in the sense he wouldnt get half of the touches he was having now but i think in time he wouldve apadpted to playing with A.I cuz they both liked eachother .

Well, the idea is to get the ball in his hands faster so that a zone can't set up to stop him. But maybe Iverson should be allowed to focus on just scoring. Doing everything on every possession probably takes a big toll on his body. If they bring in a real PG, this PG needs to be able to play defense, make smart decisions, and score. Sort of like a cross between Eric Snow and Aaron McKie back in 2001 (that's not too much to ask for). They should also run more plays out of the high post for C-Webb to set people up.

Ya Iverson is a Sg in a PG body one of a kind no other player like him but coaches get it confused cuz his height ..hes got attributes of a point guard cuz of highschool and College..I think the thing with C webb is philly got him at the wrong time if it was the c-webb in his first 3 years in SAC shure him n A.I coulda done Big things.ya about the point it would have to be a point guard that loves to dish and can rack up sum points in the process.

Billy King (not Knight) spends money, he just spends it badly. Although right now, Comcast wants to get under the Luxary Tax level. There is a cap, too, so teams can't really spend big money whenever they want.

Ya i hear that im jus sayin in years past 96 to 2004 era they coulda done a way better job ur tellin me if ur team goes to the NBA finals in 2001 i think it was ..u cant draw more talent to improve ur team and fill in sum holes..but no they bring back the same team with pretty much no changes ..truss me i know about shitty GM's eventhiugh im a A.I fan im from Toronto so i know about The Rob BAbcocks that screw up franchises..and another thing philly has to realize a mistake u can make is try to rebuild too soon when ur current team still has hope will suttle changes to the roster u can get right back in the swing of things but u just have to make the right moves! ..or the or side is u can get rid of almost everyone and end up like the raptors and have to wait 5-6 years untill u get decent again ..ask the clippers lol

SixerFan03 06-14-2006 11:33 AM

No, they ripped apart the 2001 team. That team wouldn't have gone back to the finals, but at least it would have played hard every night.

Beginning of 2001:

Ratliff
Hill
Lynch
Iverson
Snow
McKie
Kukoc
Jumaine Jones

2002:

Mutombo
Coleman
Harpring (the slowest front court ever)
Iverson
Snow
McKie
Speedy Claxton
Correy Blount
Raja Bell (who was later replaced with Greg Buckner)
Vonteego Cummings
Derek McKey

By the end of 2003:

Coleman
Van Horn
Kenny Thomas
Iverson
Snow
McKie
Brian Skinner
Greg Buckner
Todd Maculloch
John Salmons
Monty Williams

The 2001 team was old, so there needed to be some roster turnover. But they replaced players who played hard with players who wouldn't play hard. Coleman ruined that team.