Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   NBA Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Can anyone justify what athletes get paid? (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90381)

Manute for Ever! 06-05-2008 12:37 PM

Can anyone justify what athletes get paid?

We recently had the Bogut topic, we saw what Rashard Lewis got in the off-season, I hate soccer but I just saw the details of Ronaldos offer from Real Madrid ($560,000 PER WEEK AFTER TAX!!!).
Who can justify these salaries?!? It is really getting out of control!!! These people don't further our progress as humans, don't solve world problems, don't protect us as we sleep. What is the deal? Okay, rant over.

mlh1981 06-05-2008 12:39 PM

Re: Can anyone justify what athletes get paid?

The entertainment industry has always taken high priority over every other sector of work, in our society. I personally cannot blame the players. Someone throws that kind of cash my way, I'm gonna accept. I blame the owners. Noone makes them shell out that kind of dough, but they are a paranoid lot.

As long as people are willing to pay to see them perform, then this will never change.

T.O.RAPS 06-05-2008 12:40 PM

Easy, they are all superior to us...

Sharas 06-05-2008 12:41 PM

they're paid that money, because they bring even bigger money to their employers.

and they bring even bigger money to their employers because WE are willing to pay to watch them, wear their gear, follow them religiously and so on.

ihatetimthomas 06-05-2008 12:41 PM

Think of a player as an asset or investment in a company. You hire or buy something that will enhance your business and make you money. That is exactly what athletes are. Players get paid what they do because they generate a lot of cash for the team (at least thats what they are supposed to do). I know its outrageous. There are people out their saving lives and doing other noble things and get paid pennies compared to them

People are not paid in this world based on their impact to society or how many lives they save. They are paid to how much money they can make for a company. The world we live in revolves around $ so naturally these guys are going to be given a lot of dough. System sucks, but thats the world we live in

DuMa 06-05-2008 12:42 PM

i take it by an athlete by athlete case. Tiger absolutely deserves every penny he gets.

Rashard Lewis however, does not.

vert48 06-05-2008 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DuMa
i take it by an athlete by athlete case. Tiger absolutely deserves every penny he gets.

Rashard Lewis however, does not.

Tiger deserves 10% of every other golfer's check as well.

RoodyPooUS 06-05-2008 12:45 PM

Assuming there is some market efficiency, they are worth that much. They add value to the organization, they sell tickets, they increase the "good will" of a team, the brand of the team, the owner/gm may also place additional value on winning, the list goes on and on.

Essentially, they are getting paid what they are expected to contribute. A central figure in a franchise adds so much value in so many different ways. Sure they seem overpaid to you and me but in reality, on average, they are getting paid what they should. Of course there are the under-performers and those are the ones that get all the pub.

Manute for Ever! 06-05-2008 12:47 PM

I agree with these replies (albeit the "better than us" one, although I detected the sarcasm :) ), but it is just sickening. My example is that I work as an English teacher. I help shape minds and prepare people for their journey into the real world, yet it would take me about 12 years to make what Ronaldo will make in a week for kicking a ball. I am sure there are others here in pretty important lines of work. It really puts our values and society as a whole in perspective.

vert48 06-05-2008 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manute for Ever!
I agree with these replies (albeit the "better than us" one, although I detected the sarcasm :) ), but it is just sickening. My example is that I work as an English teacher. I help shape minds and prepare people for their journey into the real world, yet it would take me about 12 years to make what Ronaldo will make in a week for kicking a ball. I am sure there are others here in pretty important lines of work. It really puts our values and society as a whole in perspective.

Supply and demand. Lots of people can do what you do, and not very many can do what he does. You are worth what people are willing to pay you.

qrich 06-05-2008 12:51 PM

Put it this way. If you work for a company and you are able to bring in a lot of revenue, don't you expect to get paid a lot? That's exactly what these main players do, such as Cristiano, but there obviously are some exceptions as people do overpay with hopes to win.

RoodyPooUS 06-05-2008 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manute for Ever!

Everyone going into teaching knows you don't have a very lucrative career money wise usually.

Also, you have to realize that it is a much safer career. I bet if people put 100% effort at least 85% of the people in this world can teach.

However to be a soccer player of Ronaldo's level, even if you give 100%, you have like a 0.0001% chance of accomplishing that feat.

elz 06-05-2008 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sharas
they're paid that money, because they bring even bigger money to their employers.

and they bring even bigger money to their employers because WE are willing to pay to watch them, wear their gear, follow them religiously and so on.

:applause:

the market their in dictates their pay scale!
They're the product

Complain when their making more than the owners?

Now if you wanna argue some are paid more than their Market value?
Depending on which athlete I'll gladly cosign! seeee Rashard Lewis

Some players values go beyond what they do for their own team. Some increase the value of the entire league/brand. So when Lebron demands a Max contract! he deserves every penny based on his Market value.
The attention Tiger brings to Golf is unreal.

Manute for Ever! 06-05-2008 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoodyPooUS
Everyone going into teaching knows you don't have a very lucrative career money wise usually.

Also, you have to realize that it is a much safer career. I bet if people put 100% effort at least 85% of the people in this world can teach.

However to be a soccer player of Ronaldo's level, even if you give 100%, you have like a 0.0001% chance of accomplishing that feat.

Completely true

Quote:

Originally Posted by elz
the market their in dictates their pay scale!
They're the product

Complain when their making more than the owners?

Now if you wanna argue some are paid more than their Market value?
Depending on which athlete I'll gladly cosign! seeee Rashard Lewis

Some players values go beyond what they do for their own team. Some increase the value of the entire league/brand. So when Lebron demands a Max contract! he deserves every penny based on his Market value.
The attention Tiger brings to Golf is unreal

My question is how did market value get that high?!?

StroShow4 06-05-2008 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sharas

exactly. we only have ourselves to blame, as fans who spend money to watch the games we are responsible.