Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   NBA Draft Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Here's what Toronto should do on draft day (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=91869)

mattreis62 06-17-2008 02:28 AM

Here's what Toronto should do on draft day

Trade TJ Ford + Bargnani to LA for the #7 pick. LA gets a decent PG and a young PF to replace Brand (assuming he opts out). Toronto takes Brook Lopez, finally giving them a decent center so Bosh can move to PF.

Then they use the #17 pick to take a perimeter guy, whoever they like out of Rush/CDR/Walker/Green.

CaptainOwlClub 06-17-2008 02:51 AM

Re: Here's what Toronto should do on draft day

i dont think lopez will still be available at #7
if the raptors only were able to stay at pick 17- dont they HAVE to hope for one of the other c's? - HIBBERT, r lopez, jordon- the center i like alot (and hope goes #20 is ajinca

rapters dream draft imo would be
1st- hibbert c georgetown
2-d jefferson sf usc

High Potential 06-17-2008 03:10 AM

You're assuming that the Clippers are retarded. Why would they give up a #7 pick in a stacked draft for a jump shooting center who can't shoot or rebound, and a PG who at best is a backup?

mattreis62 06-17-2008 03:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by High Potential
You're assuming that the Clippers are retarded. Why would they give up a #7 pick in a stacked draft for a jump shooting center who can't shoot or rebound, and a PG who at best is a backup?

Uh, who exactly are the Clippers going to get at #7 that's so great? Eric Gordon? Danilo Galinari? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: I'd much rather have a former #1 pick and an above-average PG that anyone who's likely to be available at the #7 spot. The draft is deep, but the only guys who really have star potential are Beasley, Rose, and maybe Mayo. Trust me, I watch the Clippers fairly often and they are a mess. They need to be stockpiling assets and this deal gets them two players instead of one. And it's not like Elgin Baylor has a great track record with his draft picks (Olawakandi anyone?)

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptainOwlClub
i dont think lopez will still be available at #7
if the raptors only were able to stay at pick 17- dont they HAVE to hope for one of the other c's? - HIBBERT, r lopez, jordon- the center i like alot (and hope goes #20 is ajinca

rapters dream draft imo would be
1st- hibbert c georgetown
2-d jefferson sf usc

If they can't move up into the lottery somehow I think Toronto should definitely take the other Lopez, Robin. I think his energy and defense would be a great fit beside Bosh.

High Potential 06-17-2008 04:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattreis62
Uh, who exactly are the Clippers going to get at #7 that's so great? Eric Gordon? Danilo Galinari? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: I'd much rather have a former #1 pick and an above-average PG that anyone who's likely to be available at the #7 spot. The draft is deep, but the only guys who really have star potential are Beasley, Rose, and maybe Mayo. Trust me, I watch the Clippers fairly often and they are a mess. They need to be stockpiling assets and this deal gets them two players instead of one. And it's not like Elgin Baylor has a great track record with his draft picks (Olawakandi anyone?)

If they can't move up into the lottery somehow I think Toronto should definitely take the other Lopez, Robin. I think his energy and defense would be a great fit beside Bosh.

They aren't going to be a mess once they dump Maggete, sign a defensive SG and hopefully get either Boom Dizzle or Gilbert this summer. Brand, Kaman, Baron Davis and Al Thornton as the 4th option/6th man. They will be a site better than Toronto that's for sure, and Bargnani and T.J. Ford aren't pieces that any other team would want.

Posterize246 06-17-2008 09:44 AM

they would have to give up the #17 pick also in this deal. ford/bargnani aren't worth the #7

Interminator 06-17-2008 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Posterize246
they would have to give up the #17 pick also in this deal. ford/bargnani aren't worth the #7

Yes they are.

Ford/Bargnani are worth a Top 6-10 pick if the team actually had a glaring need for PG and their wasn't good depth at the position.

However trading Ford/Bargnani for the #7 pick on Toronto's part is downright retarded,who do you actually think will be on the board at #7 thats worth the deal?

Brook Lopez?
If Bargnani is struggling to get consistent minutes under Sam Mitchell then you should expect the same for Lopez,and he's not a premier C prospect worth moving up for.You will get similar production and more upside drafting DeAndre Jordan or JaVale McGee at #17.

Bargnani doesn't have to be traded,because he's not taking up cap space and he's a decent perimeter big man off the bench who can give you a good 20+ Point effort once every 5 or 6 games.

If Toronto traded T.J. Ford it should be for a good SG or SF.

Posterize246 06-17-2008 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Interminator
Yes they are.

Ford/Bargnani are worth a Top 6-10 pick if the team actually had a glaring need for PG and their wasn't good depth at the position.

What makes you think the Clippers would want TJ Ford as their pg when the guy is a risk to be injured every year? LAC will take a player like Westbrook with that pick before they trade it for a player who is injury prone and another who is a 7 footer getting under 4 rebounds a game. If the Raptors give up the #17 pick in that deal then it would be worth looking at.

Clippers would not do this.

Interminator 06-17-2008 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Posterize246
What makes you think the Clippers would want TJ Ford as their pg when the guy is a risk to be injured every year? LAC will take a player like Westbrook with that pick before they trade it for a player who is injury prone and another who is a 7 footer getting under 4 rebounds a game. If the Raptors give up the #17 pick in that deal then it would be worth looking at.

Clippers would not do this.

I never said LA would want this deal.

i seen hippos 06-17-2008 02:05 PM

Ya, I can see Toronto giving up a top 10 pg (when healthy) and a player that nobody really knows what to think about, but either way still puts up 10 ppg and should improve still....for a 7th pick?

Does Toronto want to get assraped?

monthh 06-17-2008 03:01 PM

I may be overrating Ford, but I think that would be a pretty good deal for the Clippers. They need more than one player, and unless Bayless or Mayo fall, I don't think any other player is worth those two. I agree the 17th pick, or at least a future 1st would need to be included, but I think that is a deal that works for both teams.

The other deal that I think could work is having the same deal with the Kings, but then you are only getting the 12th pick, but that may be a little more fair. At that point you are looking a McGee, Jordan, Koufus, or even Hibbert.

I think the better move would be the Raptors to move up to get Randolph, Alexander, or Gallinari, and then grab a center at 17. I think you would get more value with you picks that way.

mattreis62 06-17-2008 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monthh
I may be overrating Ford, but I think that would be a pretty good deal for the Clippers. They need more than one player, and unless Bayless or Mayo fall, I don't think any other player is worth those two. I agree the 17th pick, or at least a future 1st would need to be included, but I think that is a deal that works for both teams.

The other deal that I think could work is having the same deal with the Kings, but then you are only getting the 12th pick, but that may be a little more fair. At that point you are looking a McGee, Jordan, Koufus, or even Hibbert.

I think the better move would be the Raptors to move up to get Randolph, Alexander, or Gallinari, and then grab a center at 17. I think you would get more value with you picks that way.

I actually like this deal a lot. They can pick up a good SF prospect in the late lottery, and still draft a decent center at 17 (Koufos, R. Lopez, maybe Jordan). Portland is supposedly looking to trade out of the lottery, maybe Toronto could get the 13th pick from them.

But I still think that Ford + Bargnani without the 17 for #7 would be a good deal for the Clippers and the Raptors.

High Potential 06-17-2008 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by i seen hippos
Ya, I can see Toronto giving up a top 10 pg (when healthy) and a player that nobody really knows what to think about, but either way still puts up 10 ppg and should improve still....for a 7th pick?

Does Toronto want to get assraped?

Ford is not a top 10 PG

Baron Davis
Mo Williams
Chris Paul
Jamal Tinsley
Raymond Felton
Deron Williams
Derek Fisher
Rafer Alston
Jason Kidd
Steve Nash
Tony Parker
Chauncey Billups
Brandon Roy
Allen Iverson
Beno Udrih
Jannero Pargo
Andre Miller
Devon Harris
Gilbert Arenas
Not to mention Ford's own teammate Jose Calderon

If you really look at it, T.J. Ford is really in the bottom 3rd of the league in terms of PGs. I have no idea why Toronto fans overrate that turnover prone midget so much.

boozehound 06-17-2008 06:24 PM

Quote:

They aren't going to be a mess once they dump Maggete, sign a defensive SG and hopefully get either Boom Dizzle or Gilbert this summer. Brand, Kaman, Baron Davis and Al Thornton as the 4th option/6th man. They will be a site better than Toronto that's for sure, and Bargnani and T.J. Ford aren't pieces that any other team would want.

keep dreaming. they are already shelling out a ton for brand and Kaveman. No way they can swing the $ for davis or gilbo, unless they trade Brand or Kaman. Sterling's purse isnt gonna stay open

A Roc 23 06-17-2008 07:28 PM

Quote:

Ford is not a top 10 PG

Baron Davis
Mo Williams
Chris Paul
Jamal Tinsley
Raymond Felton

Deron Williams
Derek Fisher
Rafer Alston

Jason Kidd
Steve Nash
Tony Parker
Chauncey Billups
Brandon Roy
Allen Iverson

Beno Udrih
Jannero Pargo

Andre Miller
Devon Harris
Gilbert Arenas
Not to mention Ford's own teammate Jose Calderon

If you really look at it, T.J. Ford is really in the bottom 3rd of the league in terms of PGs. I have no idea why Toronto fans overrate that turnover prone midget so much.

The bolded are PGs that aren't as good as Ford and the underlined are players who don't even play PG. :banghead: