Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   D-League Forum, Minor League and International Basketball Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Why Was Andrew Bogut Picked 1st (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=93630)

Im so nba'd out 06-28-2008 03:55 AM

Why Was Andrew Bogut Picked 1st

What was so special about him that he was picked 1st overall?

Manute for Ever! 06-28-2008 04:05 AM

Re: Why Was Andrew Bogut Picked 1st

Quote:

Originally Posted by Im so nba'd out
What was so special about him that he was picked 1st overall?

Always select a talented big with the first pick if there is one. They are too rare to pass up and have high trade value if you don't particularly need them.

Mamba 06-28-2008 04:10 AM

very good college player, led the team to national title didn't he? and was the MVP of that college year or wateva?

but ye he's becoming alot more polished just needs 2 get michael i love shooting every chance i can redd, because he is a very good player now, just look at his stats against some of the teams with the best defence:

San Antonio: 17 points 15 rebounds (6 offensive), 3 blocks
Dallas: 24 points 14 rebounds
Utah: 23 points 10 rebounds

when he has the ball more he's alot more effective, and he basically did follow the formula of the bigman in the NBA, start off slow and then develop better, which he is now. i won't be surprised if he gets 18 10 and 2 next season.

Im so nba'd out 06-28-2008 04:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mamba
very good college player, led the team to national title didn't he? and was the MVP of that college year or wateva?

but ye he's becoming alot more polished just needs 2 get michael i love shooting every chance i can redd, because he is a very good player now, just look at his stats against some of the teams with the best defence:

San Antonio: 17 points 15 rebounds (6 offensive), 3 blocks
Dallas: 24 points 14 rebounds
Utah: 23 points 10 rebounds

when he has the ball more he's alot more effective, and he basically did follow the formula of the bigman in the NBA, start off slow and then develop better, which he is now. i won't be surprised if he gets 18 10 and 2 next season.

I know he won like every award but alot of people win awards in college but dont get picked with the #1 pick (shane battier,t.j ford,j.j reddick) i guess just because he was 7 foot.

Mamba 06-28-2008 04:16 AM

Quote:

I know he won like every award but alot of people win awards in college but dont get picked with the #1 pick (shane battier,t.j ford,j.j reddick) i guess just because he was 7 foot.

and a really good player lol. tell me how many good big men have been drafted in the last few years compared to the 90's. atm they take anyone they can get.

Hotlantadude81 06-28-2008 05:44 AM

Well, he is better than Marvin Williams.

pethuel03 06-28-2008 07:33 AM

he is an effective player for the bucks now.

Sonic R 06-28-2008 08:19 AM

Quote:

There it is… big men are always a commodity. When a decorated big fellow comes up in the draft, usually teams will snatch them up.

Da KO King 06-28-2008 08:22 AM

Seven footer with good passing skills who held his own against Team USA in an international game and did not back down when those NBA all stars went at him

I didn't have him rated as a number one talent but it's not hard to understand why some did.

Fallguy20 06-28-2008 08:37 AM

If I remember correctly, he also had a good predraft workout session with a few of the right teams. You add that to his already decent draftstock, and your going to get a team that will see you as valuable enough for the #1

Although, I also seem to remember the Bucks trying to trade down that year...

Sharas 06-28-2008 08:38 AM

i remember that he was rated as the most sure pick, but not necessarily the one with most upside. scouts raved about marvin williams' long term potential, they were sure to go #1 and #2 in either order.

VCMVP1551 06-28-2008 08:45 AM

He's already pretty much a 14 and 10 guy. He is also among the elite passing big man and a good shot blocker. It doesn't look that bad to me because Bogut is an all-star talent. It's not like taking Darko Milicic over Carmelo Anthony and Dwyane Wade.

MastahX 06-28-2008 10:13 AM

He's on a useless team - Put him on a better team and he is a 15/10 player.

trig 06-28-2008 11:13 AM

put him on a team than actually has a system and he can be effective. He's playing in a shoot first team and his teamates rarely makes the extra pass.

Mo - scoring pg
Redd - shooter
RJ - Scorer
Villa - Scorer
Bogut - poor dude

Send him to chicago and he'll reach his true potential

Posterize246 06-28-2008 11:33 AM

besides Paul and DWill...that draft was pretty weak

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005_NBA_Draft