Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Toronto Raptors Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Raptors Roster Up to date...With Salaries (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=94107)

HalphbreedBaller 07-01-2008 08:45 PM

Raptors Roster Up to date...With Salaries

Starters:
Jermain O'Neal C/PF $21,352,500
Chris Bosh PF $14,410,581
Jose Manuel Calderon PG $7,500,000 - $1,107<-----Estimation after Jose gives back to the Raptors.
Jason Kapono SF $5,784,480 <-----Starting after that great playoff run.
Anthony Parker SG $4,550,000

Bench:
Andrea Bargnani $5,176,440
Kris Humphries $3,200,000
Joey Graham $2,449,184
Jamario Moon $711,517
Roko Ukic $550,000<-----Estimation.
Hassan Adams $550,000<-----Estimation.

Still on our cap space:
Jorge Garbajosa SF $2,350,000<----Buy out estimation.
*If Garbajosa is signed to a contract in Europe, our cap hit will be decreased by one-half the difference between the player's new salary and the minimum salary for a one-year veteran.

Totals: $68,583,595
Salary Cap: $58,680,000
Over The Cap: $9,903,595 - :(
+MLE: $5,000,000 = $14,903,595 Over The Cap??? :(

The tax level for the 2008-09 season has been set at $71.150 million
These figures could be off from about 2 - 3 million up or down but non the less we are in Cap trouble.

Team Free Agents:
Carlos Delfino
Primoz Brezec

Were not going to resign Delfino period!
We probably won't sign a MLE unless there is a trade of course...
But what do we have to offer other teams?
The only trades this team will make is to lower its salary Cap.
We should stop all this talk about getting a major free agent and face the fact that this team is now complete!

BrownBaller 07-01-2008 09:08 PM

Re: Raptors Roster Up to date...With Salaries

didnt we sign hump to a 3 yr extension or something at the beginning of the season?

Qwyjibo 07-01-2008 09:14 PM

I can't see any reason for starting Kapono over Moon. The only way Kapono should be starting on ANY team is if they are starved for perimeter shooting. The Raptors are not since they already have Parker and Calderon.

bluerap 07-01-2008 11:32 PM

There was already a more thorough and more accurate thread with our salary situation.
You've added some estimates, which aren't accurate (ukic is for sure getting more than that - i think he made 3 million last season in europe).

HalphbreedBaller 07-02-2008 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluerap
There was already a more thorough and more accurate thread with our salary situation.
You've added some estimates, which aren't accurate (ukic is for sure getting more than that - i think he made 3 million last season in europe).

Could you show me that post?

Anyways if Ukic is making more than that then were even more over the cap!!

HalphbreedBaller 07-02-2008 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
I can't see any reason for starting Kapono over Moon. The only way Kapono should be starting on ANY team is if they are starved for perimeter shooting. The Raptors are not since they already have Parker and Calderon.

Because he is making 5 mil plus a season and we need to unload some of our cap problems...

Molson 07-02-2008 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qwyjibo

I don;t see why they would start Moon. He was a good fit last year because we needed rebounding and help defense and he gave that to us from the three spot. With Oneal now signed, we don;t have that need any more.

It's safe to assume the ball will find its way in to the post more often than not this year. Moon becomes a huge liability on offense because he can;t spread the floor and whoever is guarding him can cheat to the post because he is not a threat from the outside.

Kapono is a great fit for this type of offense. It will be tough to double Oneal or Bosh when they have the ball on the inside given that parker, kapono and calderon can all shoot. If moon is in that lineup, other teams will be abel to adaot and send some help in the post. Kapano's poor man defesne is also not as much of a liability because of the two bigs protecting the paint.

Moon is simply not a fit for this lineup whereas Kapano is. Can't see how Moon starts over Kapono.

HalphbreedBaller 07-02-2008 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Molson
I don;t see why they would start Moon. He was a good fit last year because we needed rebounding and help defense and he gave that to us from the three spot. With Oneal now signed, we don;t have that need any more.

It's safe to assume the ball will find its way in to the post more often than not this year. Moon becomes a huge liability on offense because he can;t spread the floor and whoever is guarding him can cheat to the post because he is not a threat from the outside.

Kapono is a great fit for this type of offense. It will be tough to double Oneal or Bosh when they have the ball on the inside given that parker, kapono and calderon can all shoot. If moon is in that lineup, other teams will be abel to adaot and send some help in the post. Kapano's poor man defesne is also not as much of a liability because of the two bigs protecting the paint.

Moon is simply not a fit for this lineup whereas Kapano is. Can't see how Moon starts over Kapono.

Agree big time!

ejeezy 07-02-2008 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Molson

Nice post i enjoyed that, good reasoning. I always thought moon was so-so, id much rather have him comming off the bench because of his inability to make jumpers. I always cringe when i see him try to take three's.

Qwyjibo 07-02-2008 01:02 PM

So you guys would choose a 1-dimensional guy who will only hit jumpers rather than more defense, athleticism and rebounding in the lineup? It really doesn't make sense to me since Parker and Calderon are already in the starting lineup and both will likely be firmly planted behind that 3pt line as well.

Moon isn't even that bad of a shooter. He finished with a 48.5 FG% last year and was actually a better mid-range shooter than Bosh (.419 > .406). He definitely does need to cut down on his 3pt attempts though.

IMO 2 pylons who stand around the 3pt line is enough, no need for another one with Kapono. Kapono shouldn't start on ANY team unless they are desperate for 3pt shooting since that is really the only thing that stands out about his game. The more defense and rebounding is what I like and I don't consider Moon to be totally inept on offense either.

A.M.G. 07-02-2008 01:10 PM

Moon should still start most nights, unless we somehow get a free agent SF who is better than him (not bloody likely given this apparent lack of cap space). However we really do have to give Kap way more minutes when he is even remotely capable of guarding one of the opposing players, the dude is instant offense. He proved in the playoffs that he can really help us if we use him right.

Sekman 07-02-2008 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A.M.G.
Moon should still start most nights, unless we somehow get a free agent SF who is better than him (not bloody likely given this apparent lack of cap space). However we really do have to give Kap way more minutes when he is even remotely capable of guarding one of the opposing players, the dude is instant offense. He proved in the playoffs that he can really help us if we use him right.

Maybe not on the 1st couple games.. but I can see Kapono starting before either Moon or Parker soon.

Maniak 07-02-2008 02:38 PM

Ummm, I would waaaay rather see Moon starting over Parker.

Parker is the type of guy that sits outside the arc just waiting for a 3.

While Moon can get into the paint for a monster slam, or he will shuffle around looking for a good midrange J, maybe even the odd 3.

I like his playstyle alot more, and the starters already have enough good 3pt shooters.

And ejeezy, I think he is pretty decent from behind the 3point line and that he has a decent jumper.

I find his allaround game better

ejeezy 07-02-2008 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maniak
Ummm, I would waaaay rather see Moon starting over Parker.

And ejeezy, I think he is pretty decent from behind the 3point line and that he has a decent jumper.

I find his allaround game better

Moon:
3PM 3PA
40 - 122

good for, 0.328 percent. Well they are better than what i thought they were.

In any case, were any of you actualy watching the playoffs when Kapono was close to our only bright spot?

RapsFan 07-02-2008 08:40 PM

We are all assuming Mitchell is capable of utilizing Kapono well....something I am not confident of at all. The guy led the league in 3PT% yet attempted half as many 3's as the year before...and often played like 10 mins in games. Terrible coaching. He's bad at D but with proper guys around him he should help our team. Especially since we used the ENTIRE MLE at like 12midnight the first day free agency opened last year, I expect a lot more.