Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Toronto Raptors Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Raps a "Parade to the free throw line"! (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=94802)

antonaki1 07-07-2008 01:51 PM

Raps a "Parade to the free throw line"!
 
With Bosch and now Jermaine the Raps have a unique opportunity to draw alot of fouls and create a parade to the free throw line that puts opposition starters in foul trouble every game. I think Brian has to realize the future is now for the Bosch era Raps. If the Knicks can go $45 mill over the luxury tax, why can't we go over it at all? This is a unique opportunity to compete for a title this year. Though i have stated otherwise in past maybe i was wrong. Could you imagine a guy like a Magette, doesn't have to be him (though prefer that it would be) but someone who really gets to the line alot on the wing. Parker, Moon and Kapono obviously are not the answer, why not bring in a free agent who is, the heck with the luxury tax, if not when? When Bosch is gone! Teams that get to the foul line alot have a very unique way of winning in that they make other teams sit their starters and change the whole complexion of an otherwise different game. I'm interested in who other people think might be a good compliment to these two that is capable of getting to the free throw line alot.

New Rap City 07-07-2008 03:45 PM

Re: Raps a "Parade to the free throw line"!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by antonaki1
With Bosch and now Jermaine the Raps have a unique...


Quote:

Originally Posted by antonaki1
I think Brian has to realize ...



Sorry you lost me on Bosch and Brian...

BrownBaller 07-07-2008 04:37 PM

Re: Raps a "Parade to the free throw line"!
 
ok.. Bosh is spelt B-O-S-H...if your a raptor fan and cant spell the 4 letter last name of our star player u got probs...the Knicks can go 45 mill over the salary cap because they are the richest franchise and worth the most in the NBA (according to Forbes), we don't have anyone who penetrates to draw fouls!! thats the problem (hence why we are all clambering (including myself) for a Maggette type slasher.) FINALLY, defense wins championships..our defense is suspect because opposition gets into the lane anytime (hopefully fixed with JO). What I'm trying to say is, we are still building slowly, the FAs arent out there this year to blow money on. Lets not get ahead of ourselves, the Knicks did and look where that got them...

Tool 07-07-2008 04:38 PM

Re: Raps a "Parade to the free throw line"!
 
Learn how to spell before you post. :applause:

New Rap City 07-07-2008 04:57 PM

Re: Raps a "Parade to the free throw line"!
 
and you don't just "magically" go into luxury tax - hell if we could get josh smith dont you think we would sign him to a max deal and go over the luxury tax level, to go over the tax level you need to be able to:


1) sign someone (right MLE at 5.8 is all we can do - which i don't think will put us over 65 mill)
2) or trade for someone (or a sign and trade with a free agent)

There is ZERO chance we get Magette because the clippers had to renounce his rights in order to sign Davis, therefore no sign and trade possible and he won't come here for the MLE, he will goto the Spurs, Jazz or Celtics if he takes that...

Reef 07-07-2008 05:26 PM

Re: Raps a "Parade to the free throw line"!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by New Rap City
and you don't just "magically" go into luxury tax - hell if we could get josh smith dont you think we would sign him to a max deal and go over the luxury tax level, to go over the tax level you need to be able to:


1) sign someone (right MLE at 5.8 is all we can do - which i don't think will put us over 65 mill)
2) or trade for someone (or a sign and trade with a free agent)

There is ZERO chance we get Magette because the clippers had to renounce his rights in order to sign Davis, therefore no sign and trade possible and he won't come here for the MLE, he will goto the Spurs, Jazz or Celtics if he takes that...


We're alread at like 69 mill and the luxury cap is around 71, so 5.8 will put us over. There's no way MLSE will pay the tax.

BrownBaller 07-07-2008 08:42 PM

Re: Raps a "Parade to the free throw line"!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Reef
There's no way MLSE will pay the tax.


Maaaaaan how I hate MLSE...

Zan Tabak 07-07-2008 10:51 PM

Re: Raps a "Parade to the free throw line"!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tool
Learn how to spell before you post. :applause:

yah!!...lik mi!!:banana:

Good Old Willy 07-08-2008 12:05 AM

Re: Raps a "Parade to the free throw line"!
 
FYI Rap fans, this forum is fortunate to have posters from around the world. I for one am thankful that the they all try to write comments in English.

And though I can read, i doubt I could write as well as Antonaki1 can in his (2nd or 3rd?) language, so props to him.

FYI 2 - The BOSCH name and brand is far more famous than the player BOSH will ever be, so I can see why a european poster would make the spelling mistake.

Just saying.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ntonaki1
...the Knicks can go $45 mill over the luxury tax, why can't we go over it at all? This is a unique opportunity to compete...


The Knicks were the worst run team in the NBA. So nothing they is admirable, and therefore only the opposite advisable.

You touch on the problem that results from the Oneil deal. Personally I think he alone puts the raptors nowhere, especially if he gets injured. The team therefore is so cuffed that its almost as if Brian Colangelo has already resigned the next to years ("1st round play off team, that's it"), and aiming for 3 years down the road. Going into tax is hardly justified for a chance at a 50 win team?

DoubleTech 07-08-2008 10:04 AM

Re: Raps a "Parade to the free throw line"!
 
why are people blaming MLSE for not paying the tax?

something like 10 teams paid the tax last season and only 3 (cleveland, boston, LA) made it out of the first round.

signing a guy like Maggette would cost us roughly 10-11 mill. 5 and change for his actual contract, and another 5 and change for the dollar-for-dollar tax that would be imposed...

is maggs an 11 mill per season player? NOPE.

Jballer 07-08-2008 10:29 AM

Re: Raps a "Parade to the free throw line"!
 
Toronto (based fans) are desparate for a winner.

For too many years we have heard excuses about being a mid market team and minding the budget.

a'la - Toronto Blue Jays.
a'la - Toronto Maple Leafs - "we cant sign that player he is too expensive"

This is especially rediculous when the Toronto Maple Leafs (owned by MLSE) are probably the wealthiest franchise in the NHL. Blue jays well not so much.

Zan Tabak 07-08-2008 11:26 AM

Re: Raps a "Parade to the free throw line"!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jballer
This is especially rediculous when the Toronto Maple Leafs (owned by MLSE) are probably the wealthiest franchise in the NHL. Blue jays well not so much.

Don't underestimate how much money the BlueJays have ..I (and everyone I know) pay 100$ a month cable bill to Rogers which own the BlueJays...that's a lot of money!

b4ball 07-08-2008 12:45 PM

Re: Raps a "Parade to the free throw line"!
 
The time will come when "the" decession is made to pay the luxary tax. But now is not the time. Remember that if we sign anybody using the MLE we pay the tax for more then one year, based on the number of years the contract is for and the tax thresh hold of the coming years.

Why pay the tax when we really have no aspirations of winning it all this year. Generaly tax paying teams are not well managed teams. It takes time and luck to get there without paying the tax. Some trades work, some don't, some drafts work out, some don't. Paying the tax does not garantee anything.

antonaki1 07-08-2008 02:50 PM

Re: Raps a "Parade to the free throw line"!
 
I agree with you going over the cap does not guarantee anything, but i don't get how people think the present situation is not a unique one where the Raps can really compete. We're talking about two potential 20 and 10 guys down low in Chris and Jermaine, both have been allstars numerous times, Calderon is capable of being one also. How often does any team have two 20 and 10 players on the same team. Almost never. I disagree about the future not being now. There is a very short window when a team with a franchise player can actually win, if it doesn't happen the franchise player is soon gone to greener pastures. We have two franchise players, Jermaine is healthy now and not even thirty, with a new lease on life he could be dominant this year. Not signing Delfino because your worried about going over the cap is a perfect example of being too fixated on the cap. He was one of the toughest Raps last year, never afraid to drive against any big in the league, allways looking to draw contact. He's a good defender and tough rebounder. Doug Smith of the Star says the reason is, he's too inconsistent. The guy averaged 9 points a game coming off the bench, and that's only in 23 min. a game. Hows that inconsistent? He's not getting 8 mill a year, he doesn't have to play like someone who is. Every player in the NBA can be inconsistent from time to time, he's no worse than anyone else not averaging at least 18 points a game plus. I think Brian Colangelo knows the future is now! There's many teams looking to pitch max money at Chris in 2010. When he's gone, than what? It will probably be another 10 years before we are in this type of a competitive situation again!

bballnoob 07-08-2008 03:18 PM

Re: Raps a "Parade to the free throw line"!
 
I think it is unrealistic to expect another 20/10 season out of O'Neal again while he's in TO. The Raps are not on the cusp on the championship, they're not even a shoo in for homecourt advantage next season.

The Delfino situation has nothing to do with the Raptor's pinching pennies. Carlos will just have a better oppourtunity (sp) to play more in Europe and have a larger contract.

As far as Bosh goes, O'Neal's contact comes of the books so we'll have the money to throw at him and Toronto has shown they're willing to make big moves to keep him happy.

Also, some paragraphs would be nice in your posts.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:00 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy