Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Video Games Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Soul Calibur iv (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=95089)

frayed knot 07-09-2008 12:32 PM

Soul Calibur iv

I've held off as long as I could from making a thread for my most anticipated game of the year.

Release date 7/29/2008
Platform: Xbox360, PS3
Genre: Fighting (Weapon based)

I'm not quite sure how I feel about the Star Wars flavor (Yoda on 360 or Vader on PS3), but that's not really a core aspect of the game. The uniqueness of each weapon and variety of characters is what made soul calibur a favorite to those who played the original on Dreamcast. The biggest difference this time around? Online capabilities , of course. Last week, the original was ported to the xbox live arcade, and I'd recommend at least a demo of that game to anyone who hasn't yet played this great franchise. Fluid character movements in plush 3-d environments is what I've come to expect.

edit: deleted pictures bc of page stretching.

NastaMaverick 07-09-2008 02:28 PM

Re: Soul Calibur iv

It looks like its gunna be sweet.

Sonic R 07-09-2008 05:09 PM

I loved Soul Cal on the DC! I also enjoyed Soul Cal II on the GCN. I never did play III though..

I am curious about the new installment but do have concerns with the online play...

frayed knot 07-09-2008 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NastaMaverick
It looks like its gunna be sweet.

It sure does, my friend. :cheers:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonic R
I loved Soul Cal on the DC! I also enjoyed Soul Cal II on the GCN. I never did play III though..

I am curious about the new installment but do have concerns with the online play...

I share your concerns about online play although I'm not sure for the same reasons. I'm concerned the developers might neglect some of the wonderful offline content I loved so much. (The museum was a great addition for me. I loved to view the artwork, and i'm a sucker for unlockable features. What can I say?) The mission modes added great detail and depth through back story and character development.

The online play, could take this franchise above and beyond, or it could spin its wheels without going anywhere. I'm cautiously optimistic if that makes sense to you.

bigkingsfan 07-09-2008 07:07 PM

I disapprove that male outfit in the first pic...

Bulls2333 07-12-2008 12:10 AM

I will definitely be buying this game...but the fighting game I'm anticipating is the new Mortal Kombat Vs. DC that's in the works.

frayed knot 07-29-2008 03:30 PM

today is finally the day! I'll post a full review in a couple days once I've had time to play through and familiarize myself with it.

Sonic R 08-05-2008 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frayed knot
today is finally the day! I'll post a full review in a couple days once I've had time to play through and familiarize myself with it.

How is it?

I have a friend who went out and bought a 360 and an arcade stick just for this game! I won't get a chance at it until the weekend though…

bdreason 08-07-2008 01:25 AM

I've been wanting to buy a fighting game. I'm just not impressed with any that are out right now. The only fighting games that really impressed me over the past few years were Tekken series and Marvel vs. Capcom series. My favorite fighting series is Street Fighter of course.

I may have to go buy this to tide me over for Street Fighter 3. God, I can't wait for that.

bdreason 08-07-2008 01:27 AM

oh I do have Fight Night 3 on PS3, but that's more simulation type fighting.

Can't wait for The Ultimate Fighting Championship coming out next year as well. It's looking great so far.

v-unit 08-07-2008 01:43 AM

This is how good the game is. My friend got it the day it came out, and he played until 4 A.M., his dad had to come down and take his Xbox and internet connection LOL, dude wouldn't sleep.

frayed knot 08-07-2008 02:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonic R
How is it?

I have a friend who went out and bought a 360 and an arcade stick just for this game! I won't get a chance at it until the weekend though…

Hey, all. Sorry it took so long, but a lot of playtime and a few other tasks kept me from posting.

So here's my review:

Offline content:

The Museum isn't anywhere near as detailed predecessors, but there's plenty of artwork to be found online if you were into it. A negative, but very minor.

Three single player options
- Story Mode. This really feels like an afterthought since the promotions greatly emphasized the struggle between good vs evil. Not only did it not deliver, it feels like a complete failure. The character stories are pretty much meh. After you play through 1-3 characters, it quickly becomes monotonous.

- Tower of Souls. Anyone who remembers the Golden Axe on the genesis will remember duel mode. This is pretty much an updated version, and the concept still remains fun. Great fun! There's also a second half of the tower that serves as a kind of tutorial by placing rewards on executable maneuvers . For example, you'll receive a "treasure chest" for blocking 3 consecutive attacks, or for performing impacts. More about the treasure chest in a bit.

- Arcade. I prefer this to the story since there's a little deviation and random element in the path to the final. The time spent on each opponent is a feature I really dig also. I'm a stat head, even with video games.

Up to this point, I'd give the game a C ranking. Acceptable, without any horrendous errors.

Versus mode ranks this up to a C+ or B simply because that's a huge appeal in these fighting games. Sure, Xboxlive is great and all, but there's nothing like sitting on the couch with a friend doing play by play with some trash talking.

So, about those treasure chests mentioned earlier. Well, there's a create a character(playable online) engine, that's really enjoyable. If you're familiar with the CAW(create a wrestler) from THQ's WWE games, you should enjoy this too. Really, you don't do any of the sculpting or shaping of the character's physique, and you select various weapons, armor, costumes to dress it up. Some are pretty good though. I've seen Cloud and Solid Snake so far. The treasure chests are incentive to learn the game instead of smashing the buttons which brings me to my next point...

I probably should have started here, but...

-gameplay

Really a nice job here. Its playable from the moment you pick it up regardless of your skill level. However, there is a lil complexity to the stance specific movesets. If you're not familiar with the franchise, it will likely take some getting used to with practice in training mode.(forgot to mention that earlier, there's a training mode with infinite health and infinite time, to practice. The ai has a scale to adjust difficulty. From standing still, defenseless, to slightly aggressive.

-Online play

I guess its all right, but its just not the same for me to sit around with strangers beating each other up. The network is better than I expected, but there's still some frequency of lag.

IF I wasn't such a mark for this franchise, I'd honestly recommend against buying it. The 60 dollar price tag isn't really warranted unless you're a fan of soul calibur games.

Positives:
  1. Versus mode
  2. Characters remain without any negative modifications. There's a pretty fair balance.
  3. Gameplay is setup for users of any skill
  4. Artwork
  5. Create Character

Negatives:
  1. Very weak story, a gross disappointment from the gripping trailer that leads into the game
  2. Lacking difficulty. On Hard, you can get by with a passing knowledge of 3-5 moves repeating.
  3. Yoda bc he sucks. Actually, the Star Wars integration in this game was a nice selling point, but it also falls short. The initial fascination fades in about 10 minutes.

When the multiplayer support dies out(ppl stop playing online), this has little replay value unless you still have friends over to play video games socially.

intrinsic 08-09-2008 05:44 PM

:applause: Saved me some $$ since I rented after reading that review

Sonic R 08-11-2008 12:00 PM

Came across some interesting created characters…

Richter Belmont

Teresa Rose (Ibara)

Kasumi (Dead or Alive)

KOS-MOS (Xenosaga)

Li Long (Soul Blade) The only character from the original game not to make it into the sequels

Naruto

gasolina 08-19-2008 05:19 PM

Create a soul is awesome

I got the game last night night and made 3 characters

1. Chuck Norris as Walker the Texas Ranger (Nunchucks)
2. Leonidas (Sword and Spear)
3. Sanosuke Sagara (Big ass sword)

I plan to make a mighty thor with a giant hammer, but haven't really unlocked much of the treasure chests. Sure is fun though.

Some pretty funny characters you see created by other folks
1. Lion-O
2. He-Man