Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Philadelphia 76ers Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   My Trade Scenario: Philadelphia and New Orleans (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=95397)

Posterize246 07-11-2008 12:21 PM

My Trade Scenario: Philadelphia and New Orleans
 
Philadelphia Receives

-Morris Peterson (8 ppg, 23.6 mpg, 39.4 3fg%, 30 years old)
-Melvin Ely (3.9 ppg, 2.8 rpg, 12 mpg, 30 years old)

New Orleans Receives

-Willie Green (12.4 ppg, 26.6 mpg, 26 years old)
-Jason Smith (4.5 ppg, 3 rpg, 14.5 mpg, 22 years old)

Positives for Philadelphia: Philadelphia receives the backup small forward and 3 point shooter that they want in Morris Peterson. Peterson made 113 3s last year on 39.4 %. Sixers were last in the league in 3 point shooting and don't have enough money to sign a shooter, so it must come through a trade.

Positives for New Orleans: Hornets only current shooting guard on roster is Morris Peterson, who only logged 23 mpg last season. Bonzi Wells has yet to be resigned. Still keep 3 point shooting in Peja Stojakovic (231 made, 44%). Should they find a starting shooting guard, Willie Green is well served off the bench should they not resign Jannero Pargo (8.1 ppg).

Opinions?

76ers4life 07-11-2008 02:11 PM

Re: My Trade Scenario: Philadelphia and New Orleans
 
That's a shaky one for me personally I wouldn't move Green for a a 31 year old Peterson. I know Green isn't a favorite with some sixers fan but, he is 26 and he produces at a high level coming off the bench. With the age and productivity of both players I would not offer Green for anything less than a guy who can average more than 10ppg off the bench. Smith i'm not sure he has some upside and at this point it would almost be like making a swap for basically the same player. In that case I would have to reject that offer as well because Smith has not reached his full potential yet and, sending him and Green to New Orleans would be giving them younger players with more potetial than what we would be getting back. I understand where you are going with the trade situation where it would fill in some voids in our roster.

Posterize246 07-11-2008 02:29 PM

Re: My Trade Scenario: Philadelphia and New Orleans
 
I just don't see where there's much room for Green off the bench. I expect Miller to get around 34 mpg, Iggy around 38, and Lou getting whatever's left. Not what the Sixers plans are for Green

76ers4life 07-11-2008 03:16 PM

Re: My Trade Scenario: Philadelphia and New Orleans
 
I see plenty of time for Green unless they play Lou at the two and imo that is insane. I believe at this point we can't afford to let Green leave we are thin at the 2 and 3. Unless we get fair compensation in return for a trade. Will, Green, maybe Evans imo are our best reserves they will get time. Regardless of how much our starting 5 recieve they obviously won't play the entire game without adequate rest. We have a bit of a logjam at pf and that's the only position I see on this current roster that could leave a guy hurting on minutes. 1,2,3 positions we need all the help we can get. Hey but, you may be right we may not have room for Green we'll see what happens.

iggy> 07-11-2008 06:59 PM

Re: My Trade Scenario: Philadelphia and New Orleans
 
i honestly rather have green than peterson. maybe thats just me.

willie green was in a horrible shooting slump last year, but broke out of it at the end of the season. i think he can be one of the top 3 point shooters next year, especially with brand clogging up the lanes. i expect lou williams to be top notch from beyond the arc as well.

Posterize246 07-11-2008 08:03 PM

Re: My Trade Scenario: Philadelphia and New Orleans
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by iggy>
i honestly rather have green than peterson. maybe thats just me.

willie green was in a horrible shooting slump last year, but broke out of it at the end of the season. i think he can be one of the top 3 point shooters next year, especially with brand clogging up the lanes. i expect lou williams to be top notch from beyond the arc as well.

I highly, HIGHLY doubt that Willie Green will turn into a stud from behind the arc. 32% is his highest ever. If you guys don't like the trade that's cool, but I just don't see where Green's going to get the mins and we have no money to sign a free agent shooter. Thought MoPete would be one of the available ones we could get through trade.

Posterize246 07-11-2008 08:04 PM

Re: My Trade Scenario: Philadelphia and New Orleans
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by 76ers4life
I see plenty of time for Green unless they play Lou at the two and imo that is insane. I believe at this point we can't afford to let Green leave we are thin at the 2 and 3. Unless we get fair compensation in return for a trade. Will, Green, maybe Evans imo are our best reserves they will get time. Regardless of how much our starting 5 recieve they obviously won't play the entire game without adequate rest. We have a bit of a logjam at pf and that's the only position I see on this current roster that could leave a guy hurting on minutes. 1,2,3 positions we need all the help we can get. Hey but, you may be right we may not have room for Green we'll see what happens.

Lou plays a lot at the 2. Andre Miller plays 36 mpg, so that only frees up 12 mpg for Lou if he only plays pg

artificial 07-12-2008 12:57 PM

Re: My Trade Scenario: Philadelphia and New Orleans
 
Wow, I must be the only one who likes this trade.

MoPete isn't as explosive as sometimes Green is, but he can be a dependable backup at the 2 and at the 3, something that could come very handy to the current roster. Lou backing up the 1 & 2, MoPete at 2 & 3. Yeah, he is old and somewhat inconsistent, but still and upgrade from Willie, besides providing much needed range.

I would actually like to see what Hornets fan think, as I'm not sure they'd take it.

Posterize246 07-12-2008 01:32 PM

Re: My Trade Scenario: Philadelphia and New Orleans
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by artificial
Wow, I must be the only one who likes this trade.

MoPete isn't as explosive as sometimes Green is, but he can be a dependable backup at the 2 and at the 3, something that could come very handy to the current roster. Lou backing up the 1 & 2, MoPete at 2 & 3. Yeah, he is old and somewhat inconsistent, but still and upgrade from Willie, besides providing much needed range.

I would actually like to see what Hornets fan think, as I'm not sure they'd take it.

I'm gonna post it in the Hornets forum to see if it gets some feedback. But FINALLY I get someone to agree with me. MoPete will be 31 in August. His contract will be up the season after he's 33.

philahoops 07-12-2008 06:54 PM

Re: My Trade Scenario: Philadelphia and New Orleans
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Posterize246
I just don't see where there's much room for Green off the bench. I expect Miller to get around 34 mpg, Iggy around 38, and Lou getting whatever's left. Not what the Sixers plans are for Green



I'm sure they will be swinging Iggy to the 3 for some of his minutes, to give Thad a break. That's when they will sometimes go with a Green - Miller or Green - Lou backcourt. That's not counting the times that Green subs for Iggs straight up at the 2, with Thad staying at the 3.

I'm not the biggest Green fan, but he's not a bad backup.

Instead of depleting our guards via trade, there is the veterans exception that could allow us to aquire a 3 point shooting specialist. I wish we would have done what Houston did with Brent Barry. He would've been great for 10 -15 minutes a game, making people pay for the Brand double-team. I don't know if anyone else like that is available under those terms.

iggy> 07-12-2008 08:12 PM

Re: My Trade Scenario: Philadelphia and New Orleans
 
what about matt barnes? is he still unsigned?

76ers4life 07-12-2008 11:29 PM

Re: My Trade Scenario: Philadelphia and New Orleans
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by iggy>
what about matt barnes? is he still unsigned?

Problem with Matt is he never played we'll for us but, with Golden State he was a three point machine. I remember one game I think it was this past season he had to have hit at least 10 three's on us. He absolutely trashed us from the arc. Since we run a more up tempo offense he may work now maybe.

76ers4life 07-12-2008 11:36 PM

Re: My Trade Scenario: Philadelphia and New Orleans
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Posterize246
I'm gonna post it in the Hornets forum to see if it gets some feedback. But FINALLY I get someone to agree with me. MoPete will be 31 in August. His contract will be up the season after he's 33.

It's not a horrible trade it's just the age of the guys and their skill level. I just don't think the skill level of Pterson is that of Green. No matter how streaky Green may be. Jason Smith is absolute trash and, I would trade him in a minute I would move him for maybe Butler instead of Ely.

artificial 07-13-2008 02:00 PM

Re: My Trade Scenario: Philadelphia and New Orleans
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by iggy>
what about matt barnes? is he still unsigned?

Yup, but probably wants more than the Sixers can offer him, although he took a step back last season.

If he can come he would provide depth at the 3, but don't place your bets on his range -last season he averaged .293 from the arc-.

Posterize246 07-14-2008 07:50 AM

Re: My Trade Scenario: Philadelphia and New Orleans
 
Some other shooters that have been mentioned in trade rumors are JJ Redick (career 39%) and Brian Cook (career 39.2%). I might be the only one who still feels JJ can be a sharpshooter in the league. Still think he can be a Steve Kerr for some team.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:04 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy