Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   D-League Forum, Minor League and International Basketball Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Olympic Qualifying Tournament (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=95632)

kaiteng 07-13-2008 04:52 PM

Olympic Qualifying Tournament
 
It will starts tomorrow, folks. 12 teams, only top 3 teams will go on to the final stage at the Olympics.

Group A
Brazil, Greece, Lebanon

Group B
Cape Verde, Germany, New Zealand

Group C
Canada, Korea, Slovenia

Group D
Cameroon, Croatia, Puerto Rico

Top two teams of each group will go to the quarterfinals.

My picks are Greece, Germany and Canada. And yes, I'm a homer.

b.jerk 07-13-2008 05:48 PM

Re: Olympic Qualifying Tournament
 
Brazil, Greece and either croatia or puerto rico

The germans qualified by default and they really don't belong.

simasu01 07-13-2008 07:49 PM

Re: Olympic Qualifying Tournament
 
Hope: Brazil, Canada and Germany
What will probably happen: Greece, Slovenia and Croatia
Does anyone know if these will be shown in the USA, preferably around New York or Philadelphia? How about on the internet? Will myp2p.eu show them? Or Sopcast?

ClintDogg 07-14-2008 12:45 AM

Re: Olympic Qualifying Tournament
 
I want to see New Zealand qualify, so i can compare Penney and them against great oppositions.

If they do, watch out 4 a guy named Pero Cameron. Hes HUGE, and can get up and down the floor pretty good, he takes people off the dribble and shoots fade away 3s. Ive called a few of his games in the NBL here in Australia, and he got a bit mad and went looking for me when i announced him as "the Big Fella". He was staring down the scorers bench to see where the announcer (me) was, he didnt find me cause the game re-started.

ffffffffffeeew!.

http://www.nbl.com.au/default.aspx?s...splay&id=75439

dd24 07-14-2008 05:05 AM

Re: Olympic Qualifying Tournament
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by simasu01
Hope: Brazil, Canada and Germany
What will probably happen: Greece, Slovenia and Croatia
Does anyone know if these will be shown in the USA, preferably around New York or Philadelphia? How about on the internet? Will myp2p.eu show them? Or Sopcast?


Don't tell me the guy that hates US basketball lives in the US :cheers:

This is a great post, I didn't realize this was happening already.

Prodigy 07-14-2008 05:10 AM

Re: Olympic Qualifying Tournament
 
Well there is no way Canada doesn't make it to the quarterfinals. Korea should be a pushover, I'm thinking of a twenty point victory. You can't hope to stop The Mighty Rasho from Slovenia however; this being said, if Dalembert and Kendall can somewhat contain him to something along the lines of 16/8 we should still be able to walk away with that game as well. The greatest dangers should be of course Greece and Brazil. However I wouldn't count out Germany and Puerto Rico either.

Top 3 is not an unreasonable finish for the Canadians. Perhaps if they qualify it would convince Nash to give the team one final shot at a medal although I doubt it.

dd24 07-14-2008 05:20 AM

Re: Olympic Qualifying Tournament
 
Even if they had Nash I don't think they would medal, but they would certainly qualify. I would love to see him play, why doesn't he?

berraco 07-14-2008 07:33 AM

Re: Olympic Qualifying Tournament
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Prodigy
Well there is no way Canada doesn't make it to the quarterfinals. Korea should be a pushover, I'm thinking of a twenty point victory. You can't hope to stop The Mighty Rasho from Slovenia however; this being said, if Dalembert and Kendall can somewhat contain him to something along the lines of 16/8 we should still be able to walk away with that game as well. The greatest dangers should be of course Greece and Brazil. However I wouldn't count out Germany and Puerto Rico either.

Top 3 is not an unreasonable finish for the Canadians. Perhaps if they qualify it would convince Nash to give the team one final shot at a medal although I doubt it.

:no: Lakovic, Rasho, Lorbek and Becirovic are too much for the Canadians. They do not even need Smodiz to beat them. Top 3 is far away from their possibilities.

Prodigy 07-14-2008 01:14 PM

Re: Olympic Qualifying Tournament
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by berraco
:no: Lakovic, Rasho, Lorbek and Becirovic are too much for the Canadians. They do not even need Smodiz to beat them. Top 3 is far away from their possibilities.


I remember Slovenia finishing respectably during the 06 FIBA games if I recall correctly. However I would be lying if I said I paid attention to their players apart from Rasho. Canada finished either fourth or fifth last year in the American qualifiers held in Las Vegas behind Brazil. Don't expect the Canadians to be a pushover either when their front court is clicking.

Prodigy 07-14-2008 01:19 PM

Re: Olympic Qualifying Tournament
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by dd24
Even if they had Nash I don't think they would medal, but they would certainly qualify. I would love to see him play, why doesn't he?


Most likely because he doesn't believe that they CAN medal anymore with the increasingly strong field of teams appearing on the international circuit. I believe this is the reason why he was so choked in the Sydney games where they had a realistic shot at medalling but fell to France, eventually finishing 7th. There is no doubt that if Nash were on the team they would definatlely make it to the Olympics and possibly finish top 5; but to go so close only to not medal again would mostly likely break his heart.

He also has his concerns about the Phoenix Suns. His window of opportunity to win the ship with his current squad is gradually closing and he is the first to know it. Does he REALLY want to put in the extra work load during the offseason and risk an injury in the international games, FURTHER setting back his chances of winning an NBA championship ring?

He also has twin daughters to take care of now whereas before it was only him and his then-girlfriend now-wife. He has more responsibilities and when the regular season is as hectic as it is, one would embrace the time they have off during the summer to be with their family and watch them develop.

stax 07-14-2008 02:43 PM

Re: Olympic Qualifying Tournament
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by simasu01
Hope: Brazil, Canada and Germany
What will probably happen: Greece, Slovenia and Croatia
Does anyone know if these will be shown in the USA, preferably around New York or Philadelphia? How about on the internet? Will myp2p.eu show them? Or Sopcast?


yeah myp2p.eu is showing them. greece v lebanon tips off in 15 minutes!

i was watching other international matches on that website last week too, but i'm not even sure what tournament it was (pure ignorance i know! shameful) yeah australia v egypt was definitely the worst game i've seen in a while... ho hum :confusedshrug:

joorcek 07-14-2008 03:10 PM

Re: Olympic Qualifying Tournament
 
Slovenia, Greece, Germany or Croatia

I don't think any other team has a great chance if you look the way the tournament will be played, how the teams pair up in the quaterfinals.

Cangri 07-14-2008 11:17 PM

Re: Olympic Qualifying Tournament
 
Anyone knows what channel is transmitting the games and at what hour are the games?

Silverbullit 07-14-2008 11:48 PM

Re: Olympic Qualifying Tournament
 
Day 1:

NZL vs CPV 77-50
KOR vs SLO 76-88
CRO vs CMR 93-79
GRE vs LIB 119-62

simasu01 07-15-2008 01:06 AM

Re: Olympic Qualifying Tournament
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by dd24
Don't tell me the guy that hates US basketball lives in the US :cheers:

This is a great post, I didn't realize this was happening already.


Yes, I live in the states, and the reason I ask is because I miss good basketball. I was excited about moving here before, since I thought Europe was far behind, but now, I can't wait to go back and watch Euro basketball but for now I'll enjoy the Olympics.

Quote:

Originally Posted by stax
yeah myp2p.eu is showing them. greece v lebanon tips off in 15 minutes!

i was watching other international matches on that website last week too, but i'm not even sure what tournament it was (pure ignorance i know! shameful) yeah australia v egypt was definitely the worst game i've seen in a while... ho hum


Thank you, and I thought Australia was decent. I didn't see the game, but if it was a bad game against Egypt, I assume they aren't in a really bright time.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:12 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy