Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Toronto Raptors Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Is our guard situation a problem? (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=97123)

mjohn90 07-25-2008 12:57 AM

Is our guard situation a problem?

I don't see this working...

Calderon > Ukic
Parker > .... Adams? Kapono? Graham?

There has to be another trade coming...

Qwyjibo 07-25-2008 01:00 AM

Re: Is our guard situation a problem?

The SG spot looks really ugly. But at least this time the Raptors are going to have one of the best frontcourts in the league. Hopefully that is enough compensate.

Koop1 07-25-2008 02:40 AM

Front Court is strong initially with Bosh and O'neal, but looks WEAK as hell behind those two

bokes15 07-25-2008 02:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
The SG spot looks really ugly. But at least this time the Raptors are going to have one of the best frontcourts in the league. Hopefully that is enough compensate.

That's what i'm happy about. Having a strong frontcourt and a weak backcourt is easier to compesate for than the other way around. I'm not gonna say as of now i'd call us top 3-4 in the east but we're at least somewhere around the middle of the pack.

RapsFan 07-25-2008 06:56 AM

You need great guard play to win...even with a great front court. Jose needs to play great b/c the rest isn't that special at all.

RAPSCANWIN 07-25-2008 08:40 AM

I'm waiting to see Ukic play before making assumptions on the SG position. He's a big, skilled gaurd who's been playing lots in the Euro-league. I didnt see him play any in the Olympic qualifier for Croatia. But I heard he played very well.

Its the SF position im worried about. Were very average at that postion on both sides of the ball.

new noise 07-25-2008 09:18 AM

Didn't catch any summer league, but it doesn't seem like anyone not already a Raptor generated any hype either, so I have to wonder where they look for the extra body they need.

Good Old Willy 07-25-2008 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RAPSCANWIN
I'm waiting to see Ukic play before making assumptions on the SG position. He's a big, skilled gaurd who's been playing lots in the Euro-league. I didnt see him play any in the Olympic qualifier for Croatia. But I heard he played very well.

Its the SF position im worried about. Were very average at that postion on both sides of the ball.

Just wanted to jump on that one point. He was SUPPOSED to play to get experience for his return here. By all accounts though, sadly, he actually played little. Sat mostly on the bench for two years, hence the move to Roma. Ukic = potential.

Jballer 07-25-2008 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Koop1
Front Court is strong initially with Bosh and O'neal, but looks WEAK as hell behind those two

Humphries/Barges?

I dont think that looks weak. That even ignores the new project from down under who seems to have some game.

On the PG and SG side...

Agreed - some question marks.

It would be nice to have a upper 3rd of league tier SG to compliment the whol process but if wishes were actual trades...

Too_Cool 07-25-2008 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Koop1

I still don't mind Bargs and hum[fries comin' off the bench. Not even sure who will be the 5th atm...Cuz it's not Jawai is it?

And yeah, we could still use a nice 2-guard comin off the bench (come back Carlos!) it looks a little weak.

Oh well, we'll see. Hopefully BC can work some of his magic in the future.

U tell um Jballer..

bokes15 07-25-2008 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RapsFan
You need great guard play to win...even with a great front court. Jose needs to play great b/c the rest isn't that special at all.

Rondo/Cassell/House, that's all I need to say.

BrownBaller 07-25-2008 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bokes15

Ray Allen last time i checked was a guard..

bokes15 07-25-2008 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrownBaller
Ray Allen last time i checked was a guard..

Ray Allen disappeared until the finals. He was sporadic during the season and aweful in the first few rounds of the playoffs. Ask Celtics fans, they'll tell you.

RapsFan 07-25-2008 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bokes15

:hammerhead:

You just proved my point....especially since you left our Ray Allen, an all star...and Paul Pierce, who plays on the perimiter. Ray had tough stretches, but they won the title behind great guard play.

Please I hope your next example will be the Rocket's title teams.

bokes15 07-25-2008 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RapsFan
:hammerhead:

You just proved my point....especially since you left our Ray Allen, an all star...and Paul Pierce, who plays on the perimiter. Ray had tough stretches, but they won the title behind great guard play.

Please I hope your next example will be the Rocket's title teams.

Ray Allen was not an all-star or even an all-star reserve until multiple injuries to players that were picked.. If you're gonna tell me Ray played like an all-star all season and playoffs then your anti-raptor blinders are on.