Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off the Court Lounge (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   OT: If Black People Weren't in America Today, How Would Sports Be Different? (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9719)

ALBballer 08-30-2006 09:48 PM

OT: If Black People Weren't in America Today, How Would Sports Be Different?

Say if the whole slave trade never took place, and let's assume their is only a small immigration of Africans to America and they make up about 2-3% of the population. Well, how would sports be different?

-Would Mike Alstott be the best RB from the past 10 years?
-Would the NBA be dominated by Euro's?
-Would Brian Urlacher be seen as the best defensive player to play the game?
-Would there be a slam dunk competition?
-Would there even be Hockey?
-Would Larry Bird be the most famous sports player ever?
-Would Jason Seahorn still be in the NFL?

This is not meant to serve as a racist thread, but I was wondering how the Sports in America would be different without blacks. Would the popularity of one sport be different? Dunno, I just think it's an interesting topic and just wanted your views.

jailer 08-30-2006 09:50 PM

Even if this is not to be racist lets not open this can of worms man.Its a very thin ice subject that really cant be discussed in a positve way.

Shogon 08-30-2006 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ALBballer
Say if the whole slave trade never took place, and let's assume their is only a small immigration of Africans to America and they make up about 2-3% of the population. Well, how would sports be different?

-Would Mike Alstott be the best RB from the past 10 years?
-Would the NBA be dominated by Euro's?
-Would Brian Urlacher be seen as the best defensive player to play the game?
-Would there be a slam dunk competition?
-Would there even be Hockey?
-Would Larry Bird be the most famous sports player ever?
-Would Jason Seahorn still be in the NFL?

This is not meant to serve as a racist thread, but I was wondering how the Sports in America would be different without blacks. Would the popularity of one sport be different? Dunno, I just think it's an interesting topic and just wanted your views.

-Don't know enough about NFL history to answer.
-No, because white kids would have better fundamentals than they do now cause they wouldn't be trying to be like Mike, except without the athleticism.
-See response #1.
-Yes.
-Yes.
-No... first of all, there have been more famous white Americans than Bird. Babe Ruth, for example. Second of all... Americans don't have the most famous sports players ever... cause believe it or not there's this little thing called soccer that we're not big on.
-See response #1.

Carbine 08-30-2006 09:51 PM

Quote:

Would there even be Hockey?

This is a serious question but is there any african-american players that are considered to be top 20 all time in hockey?

HALLandOATES 08-30-2006 09:52 PM

-Would Mike Alstott be the best RB from the past 10 years? ?
-Would the NBA be dominated by Euro's? Probably yes today atleast
-Would Brian Urlacher be seen as the best defensive player to play the game? ?
-Would there be a slam dunk competition? No
-Would there even be Hockey? Yes
-Would Larry Bird be the most famous sports player ever? Yes
-Would Jason Seahorn still be in the NFL? ?

geeWiz15 08-30-2006 10:18 PM

Its not possible. If Euros are able to come to America by the dozens every year whose to say the best black players across the globe wouldn't come to America to play in the NBA also?

But let's assume that black people just didn't exist. Well it'd be a pretty boring as **** game wouldn't it? The NBA that is. I'm just taling about the NBA here.

RidonKs 08-30-2006 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geeWiz15
Its not possible. If Euros are able to come to America by the dozens every year whose to say the best black players across the globe wouldn't come to America to play in the NBA also?

That's what I thought as soon as I read the first post.

ALBballer 08-30-2006 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geeWiz15

But let's assume that black people just didn't exist. Well it'd be a pretty boring as **** game wouldn't it? The NBA that is. I'm just taling about the NBA here.

How many African born players are there? Luol Deng, Steve Nash, Seattle's 1st round pick, who else?

ZHAKIDD532 08-30-2006 10:25 PM

^but who knows, if the slave trade never happened, and the population in the US of African Americans, it could be different. Maybe MLK, Rosa Parks, or Jackie Robinson never come to America and AA's don't have as many rights. Then they may not be able to play in the NBA or NFL or MLB.

PP34Deuce 08-31-2006 12:19 AM

I live in chicago and Brian Urlacher is a freak athlete........

Hes as fast as u get at MLB,

Brian Urlacher could possibly pass Ray lewis if he leads that defense to a championship....

6'4 260, fast acceleration on closing at LB(next to Merriman,and Ware) strong, dude can jump.

there r alot of athletic white PLAYERS... NBA is more dominated by black athletes,but the NFl its a different story....

Jeremy Shocker vs. antontio Gates
Gates is a tad faster,but Shockey is ****in 6 7 275, and one of the best jumpball TE's and has great speed.

WR RB and DB only positions dominated by black

Hawker 08-31-2006 12:20 AM

mass amount of hicks. lesser dropout rate

JtotheIzzo 08-31-2006 02:43 AM

This is gonna piss a lot of people off but falk it here I go:

Sports would be a lot less popular today without African Americans

why?

For the same reason hip hop is so popular with white folks, the mythical like appearance of black athletes to white suburbia, and that fascination with their background and unique set of physical abilities. The fact that your average white man cant be Shaq makes him all the more intriguing.

basketball would be a purists niche sport like it was during segregation where groups of men got together and executed plays.

football would be more tough than speed

hockey would be king

baseball would be the 'sexy' game with its latin flair

Hoonyo 08-31-2006 03:10 AM

Speaking from the bottom of my heart sports would not be entertaining. I don't care what some of the black members of this forum may think, but black people are great athletes. Why do you guys find it offensive if people say blacks are good at sports? It's the damn truth. As a cultural generalization, blacks are very creative at what they do. That helps tremendously when it comes to sports.

Bill Swerski 08-31-2006 03:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ALBballer
Well, how would sports be different?

They would be worse.:rollingeyes:

ALBballer 08-31-2006 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PP34Deuce
I live in chicago and Brian Urlacher is a freak athlete........

Hes as fast as u get at MLB,

Brian Urlacher could possibly pass Ray lewis if he leads that defense to a championship....

6'4 260, fast acceleration on closing at LB(next to Merriman,and Ware) strong, dude can jump.

there r alot of athletic white PLAYERS... NBA is more dominated by black athletes,but the NFl its a different story....

Jeremy Shocker vs. antontio Gates
Gates is a tad faster,but Shockey is ****in 6 7 275, and one of the best jumpball TE's and has great speed.

WR RB and DB only positions dominated by black

I know, that's why I think Urlacher would be the biggest name in Football today, if Blacks weren't in sports. I just think it's weird how different life, and sports would be if the slave trade never happened.