View Single Post
Old 08-07-2007, 10:56 PM   #39
BFRESH44
College star

BFRESH44 has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Can the Miami Heat still be top notch at this stage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Joe Bean
Since Shaq was traded to Miami, the Wizards have beaten the Heat ONCE in 16 tries (that's counting the 4 times they play each other in the regular season for the past 3 years and the time they swept them in the playoffs with Shaq missing two of those games)

If there's one thing the Heat don't have to worry about, its the Wizards!

And that one time that the Wizards did beat Miami, it was game in which Shaq, Wade, and Jason Williams did not play.

Anyways, interesting comments through-out this thread. Some imagine the team as presently contrcuted are done, and some believe ultimately only health will deter chance to be one of the East team who can contend...

The team roster/rotation as it presently stands:

Jason Williams/Smush Parker
Dwyane Wade/Daequan Cook
Dorell Wright/*
Udonis Haslem/Antoine Walker/Wayne Simien
Shaquille O'Neal/Alonzo Mournnig/Micheal Doleac

*indicates a holes

My little breakdown of the roster....

The Point guard posistion: Jason Williams when healthy has given the dimension of adeuquate play and production the Heat has needed. The only problem has been is his strugguled with some injuries with the knee tendonitis and such. He was recently interviewed by some Heat beatwriters at the Orlando Pro Summer League (made an appearance) and he stated that he feels as good as he has in the past few years and that the longer summer has been good for him.

Riles and Pfund while not being able to pull of a marquee point of choice(Mo Williams) due to not having the funds, so they went for the cheap/bargain backup in Smush Parker...Obviously as a fan I'm not enthused with the addition..But I mean he's depth, he's athletic and he can shoot the 3 at a decent clip. That's all Miami needs for a backup. If you don't have high expectations for him like I don't he'll should fine as a backup...I've endured through the likes of Anthony Carter and Damon Jones playing significant minutes for some Heat teams of the past, I beleive I can get through Smush Parker who 3 times the athlete then both players of those were...

Shooting Guard Posistion: Dwyane Wade..Nuff said...Came off some off-season surgeries but he's on schedule and only set to miss a portion of training camp. He'll be fine after about 10 games of work in..Then you'll se the regular ol' Dwyane Wade.

Daequan Cook was drafted, and as it stands right now is the primary backup to Wade at the 2. I liked the selection as he's athletic with some ranes..Remains to be seen if he can become a valuable asset and rotaion player this upcomming season.

Small Forward. The only natural Small forward on the roster right now that is signed is Dorell Wright. He's showed some big time flahses in the short stint of time and starts(http://youtube.com/watch?v=m7Sb3RP-bLA)..If can emerge as an impact player, that completly changes the complexion of entire team, because one thing this team can use is a young athletic high flying consistent contributer..As for as other plans, James Posey can be brought back which would be fine as most know what he can do. Good glue guy and defender, and was a large part of the championship run slightly over a year ago...There's been some talk about a Pietrus acquisisiton as well.. That would be interesting...

Power Forward: Udonis Haslem. Gets the job done, period. Epitome of a role player...Will put near doubles nearly everynight. His backup is paid like a 3rd option, put plays like a fringe rotational player....Antoine Walker had an atrocious year last year. One would have to assume he'd be better than last year because he was just terrible. Miami also has Wayne Simein whom is very simliar to Udonis Haslem, but with more natural offensive skillset...Could very find himself in rotation.

Center: Shaquille O'Neal. When he is healthy the Heat win games. When Wade went down, he steped up and kept the Heat in the playoff picture and put up NUMBERS too. But how many games he'll be suited up for is always in question..But if Shaq can give me 65-70 games I'll positive the Heat are a 50 win team. Alonzo Mourning still gets the job done in short spurts and is still at age 37 the best shotblocker in the league...Miami Center depth is fine.

As aforementioned in this thead, the Heat success is soley contiguent on health all around. BUt ofcourse most importantly Wade and Shaq.

I also still feel that Riley will pull some trade..Don't what but just have that hunch...

Still think overall the team can bounce back from a shameful title defense and have successful year and be a top 4 seed. can make noise...We'll see though.

Last edited by BFRESH44 : 08-07-2007 at 11:01 PM.
BFRESH44 is offline   Reply With Quote