View Single Post
Old 03-06-2015, 08:22 PM   #16
ILLsmak
Life goes on.

Default Re: How do you get Hops?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebron23
Ankle Weights

I think trying to push my pretty good hops (like 34-36 at age 13-14) to dunking hops was what destroyed my ankle.

I dunno if I buy ankle weights as a good thing either. We were playing 1v1 with ankle weights on. lol. Winner wears the ankle weights. We did some crazy shit. Was fun but stupid. Also did a bunch of calf raises... I remember going to an Illinois bball game after I did a night of calf raises and I could barely make it up to where my seat was. I was telling my cousin I had done hundreds of half raises the night before and he was like rly? I guess he didn't think people did that.

I need to start doing them again tho cuz they are the weakest part of my body. I take fitness way more srs than I did when I was athletic.

I would say play ball for one... and make sure that you are smart about your weight and proportions, you might not be ready for 6 more inches on your vert. Gotta take it slow. I can say you CAN add a lot in one summer if you go hard... just like you can put a good amount on your bench, but... I dunno if that's proper for long term.

Think about how you'd feel if you legitly crippled your ability to play competitive basketball and ease up.

Edit: Should also be noted I didn't do much stretching and I slept/sat around a lot of the time, too. I def took it too fast. But, again, I really do think if you want to that you can add a lot to your vert/speed and that it will help. I've seen it happen, I've done it. It helps your game in that you'll get blocks or rebounds or people will be like DAMN... but it's risky, as I said, all out jumping in a bball game is a huge risk unless you have really good control. You can really get hurt. That's why it's good to be like Bron and set a wide base, work on your power jumping opposed to trying to just take off off of one foot. You won't get as high, but it's safer. Only take off when you know you very little traffic.

-Smak

Last edited by ILLsmak : 03-06-2015 at 08:28 PM.
ILLsmak is offline   Reply With Quote