View Single Post
Old 05-12-2015, 09:17 AM   #4
Thorpesaurous
NBA sixth man of the year

Default Re: Stanley Johnson vs Kelly Oubre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
Oubre worries the hell out of me to be honest. Long, athletic wing with no standout skill and a questionable motor. There have been far to many players with his level of talent that fit his mold as a prospect that haven't panned out.

I feel like Johnson is just some work on his jumper away from being a very good 3&D at worst.

That's weird because I feel like our opinions are similar but our takeaways are different.

Oubre's motor is a huge concern. But he did seem to learn a shit ton of defense at Kansas. I remember watching an early game this season, and he actually was facing the baseline at one point.

Johnson's motor has no questions. But I feel like he's got way more work on his jumper than it seems. I'm going back to some of the HS play I saw from him too. I just feel like he's too reliant on his athleticism. And in a league that doesn't really let you body up defensively as much as they do in college, I'm worried his defensive prowess won't translate great without some change in his workout routine.

Oubre to me has a more natural foundation to his shot. And I think he's going to measure in more athletically and more longer than Johnson. And I think I'd rather work with that. I'd rather try to either find a coach to keep his motor running, or someone who'll work with finding him specific roles that he can be worked into. Rather than Johnson who I'm afraid defenses will warp away from.

There is an interesting cluster in the draft around those guys. Winslow, Hezonja, and Devin Booker all bring a similar profile, but the sliders on which skills rate where are all over the place. And Winslow and Hezonja may have separated themselves some, but we still need to see the measurements. And Sam Dekker may have played himself into this.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote