View Single Post
Old 09-24-2007, 06:29 PM   #14
D-Fence
Great young streetballer

Default Re: Official #91 NBA Player Of All Time According To ISH

I vote for Mel Daniels again.

Here's what I posted last round:
Quote:
George McGinnis is a good selection here. He was definetly better than Connie Hawkins and Dan Issel. In the 1974-75 ABA season, when he was co-MVP with Julius Erving, he led the Indiana Pacers to a winning record and the Finals after the team had lost much of its core by giving away Mel Daniels, Roger Brown, and Freddie Lewis (for financial reasons, I think). He's often compared to Karl Malone, for his exceptional strength and quickness. Even in the NBA, for 4 seasons, he was more than a 20/10 power forward.

When McGinnis left Indiana, they became a losing team, and when he joined the Philadelphia 76ers, who were already a losing team, he made them a winning team. Then, as L.Kizzle mentions, when Julius Erving joined the team, they made it to the NBA Finals. McGinnis did play awful in the 1977 Finals, though, against Portland and a solid defensive middle of Bill Walton and Maurice Lucas. On the other hand, he was good when he was a member of 2 ABA championship teams and made the Finals another time.

Yet, I'm staying with Mel Daniels for this vote; without him, McGinnis wouldn't have been a professional basketball champion. In McGinnis' rookie ABA season, he joined an Indiana Pacers team that had already won an ABA championship and been to the Finals twice and that had already had season records of 59-25 and 58-26 (considerably better than the regular-season records they had with McGinnis). Moreover, the Philadelphia 76ers did go on to win an NBA championship and were otherwise consistent winners without McGinnis. McGinnis also seems to have had a negative effect on the Denver Nuggets.

I also feel inclined to vote for Bob Davies. We're almost done with this list, and he definetly deserves a spot. He was easily the second best point guard in the NBA after Bob Cousy during his time.

I'd maybe also finish this list out with these players:
Jim Pollard and Vern Mikkelson, who co-starred with George Mikan on the first NBA dynasty, the Minneapolis Lakers.

Tommy Heinsohn, an oft neglected, but important component of the Russell-led Celtics dynasty.

Maybe one of the two or both Maurice Cheeks and Bobby Jones, who were important when the 76ers won and were competing for an NBA championship. Both were not huge scorers, but they were especially great defenders.

Quite a few other players would have good arguments. Looking at L.Kizzle's "Players to Consider" list, I wouldn't put Cliff Hagan, Penny Hardaway, Fat Lever, Easy Ed, Westphal, nor probably Gus Johnson and Marques Johnson on this list. There might be a few others not yet mentioned but worth considering--maybe Bob Dandridge, Jack Sikma, or Bill Laimbeer, for example.

All of this Penny Hardaway talk I think is especially undeserved. Anyone know of Ralph Sampson? I think he was better, but he probably shouldn't make this list either for similar reasons.

Anyhow, again, I vote for Mel Daniels.
D-Fence is offline   Reply With Quote