View Single Post
Old 10-26-2015, 10:41 PM   #10
Rake2204
NBA Superstar

Default Re: Lay ups and euro step

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidonKs
the trick is be able to finish with either hand like somebody said, but even more importantly off either foot. it can be hard to tell how the defender will react to a eurostep, which means u gotta be willing to adapt it mid-move and change ur finish to accommodate
I'm a little different on this front. Being able to jump off either foot is cool, but I'll find a way to jump off my strong foot 9 times out of 10. It's nice to have the weak-footed option but I don't consider it more important than the ability to use both hands.

I used to force a lot of weak-footed takeoffs (when I was on the left side of the court) and it just resulted in a lot of questionable finish attempts. After much experimentation, combined with studying a lot of film of guys like Grant Hill and Latrell Sprewell, I realized the best form of attack (for me) was with strength and maximum maneuverability. In my case, that meant using my strong foot (and likely strong hand) whenever possible, even in many occasions coming from the left side.

The order of importance when it comes to my attack styles:

1A. Strong foot takeoffs
1B. Two-footed takeoffs (using left or right hand)
3. Weak foot takeoffs

As for drills, retaxis, I'm a proponent of chairs or props. When I run my players through Euro-step drills, I'll place a chair a few feet away from the hoop then have them practice squaring the chair up as they approached with a live dribble, then stepping laterally to the right with their right foot before stepping back in the opposite direction with their left.

One of the most important parts to a Euro step is the rhythm of the move itself, so utilizing a prop defender can aide in developing that familiarity and flow.

Last edited by Rake2204 : 10-26-2015 at 10:43 PM.
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote