View Single Post
Old 10-06-2017, 05:07 PM   #34
red1
raptors

Default Re: So is a Black baby born today already at a disadvantage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
Yes but not because of things that are currently happening as much as things from the recent past that had a profound impact on the upbringing of their parents and grandparents. And people are products as much of their upbringing as they are there latent potential. My generation and going forward are the first black Americans born with anything close to a fair shake in life. My parents came from the segregation days and were intentionally educated worse than white children for a good portion of their upbringing. My grandparents were raised by sharecroppers and the old people in their community were born slaves and that big group that came up during reconstruction that anyone honest would have to admit were never going to get a fair chance.

Black people were not really put in position where equal work was likely to result in equal success until fairly recently. It's just that we have so many young people who don't see the 80s as having been recent or the few decades before that as still having an impact today.

A great deal of rich white Americans had well-off grandparents. It isn't just the money that trickles down it is the expectation that you would lead a certain kind of life and the backing to make it more likely you succeed. My children and my grandchildren are more likely to succeed because my mother became a teacher and taught me to value education and long-term planning.

They go to the same private school now that I was allowed to attend for free because my mother taught there. She couldn't afford to pay for me to go but they let me go. Now I can afford to pay for my children to go. I can send my kids and their cousins to a camp that shows them how to build a computer. I can pay to drop the little girls in my family off at gymnastics and buy all the little boys comic books to try to get them into reading.

And the white community simply has had a lot more of me than the black community has. Going forward more of the kids I can impact will become successful and on it goes. But it all starts with someone in the line who breaks the chain of poverty. And a lot more white Americans had the opportunity to do that through American history than black people.

It isn't as simple as white America making an effort to hold black Americans down. It's white Americans having a head start because a far greater percentage of them come from backgrounds that had a chance to flourish when black people actually were prevented from doing so.

My grandfather couldn't read until my grandma taught him after they were married. He grew up in the deep South in the early 20s and the only school within walking distance that allowed black people was the one big class they used for Sunday school at the church. And there were no grade levels. You just go to school with all the kids who want to go. He went for a while and when he got old enough he had to help on the farm. Little girls didn't have to help on the farm so my grandma went longer.

There was an all-white school in the neighborhood that was a real school. There were real black schools just a lot less and a lot worse funded. Because of it my grandma who became A Sunday school teacher also started teaching in the weekday school with the books taken from some of the white schools.

They were flat out intentionally educated worse by the US government and that cannot be disputed and the impact of it on future generations is hard to overstate.

The 70s babies are the ones who have to make enough progress to break the chain and I guess we will all see how it goes in the next 50 years.
Well said. This was a good read.
red1 is offline   Reply With Quote