View Single Post
Old 04-07-2008, 09:38 PM   #9
sixerfan82
College star

Default Re: Why Network play is pis$ing me off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathius
That's a cop out. If you go through all the trouble to include multiplayer stuff, and then go further and add online server support, that's a crapload of extra code to make it online. It's infinately easier to make it a stand alone multiplayer game.

If they go the extra yard to get the online code done, it would take almost no effort to fix it so you can play multiplayer offline. The majority of the code is already written. All you need is a little extra interface.

I used to program for MUD's, I know a little bit about this, so your comments are really baseless.

It's a hell of a lot easier to make a game stand alone, than it is to add server support, believe me. You have to deal with socket code and all kinds of extra nonsense, not to mention dealing with all the different protocols that are being added all the time with the latest and greatest new way to get faster internet.

Mathius

Well, I'm in the gaming industry, have written for PC, and currently writing on NDS so my comments DO in fact have a base, however I am not writing triple A titles.

And you are right, a stand alone game is much easier to develop than one with online play, however, a lot of gamers LOVE online play, and the bottom line is game developers are a business, we make what fans want.

a good example is COD4 and Madden, the games dont change drastically year to year, but you buy them because of the online play

Quote:
If they go the extra yard to get the online code done, it would take almost no effort to fix it so you can play multiplayer offline. The majority of the code is already written. All you need is a little extra interface.

It also needs to be tested, created, coded, etc. Development(even 2D) still takes some time bud

Lastly, i personally never enjoyed *physical multiplayer* because the screen gets divided up into X sections. It looks ugly IMO, but that's me.

Now, the developer that I work for produces casual games. Hopefully we will make something that you enjoy since you mentioned you don't have time to *digest* a game such as the average hardcore gamer

Last edited by sixerfan82 : 04-07-2008 at 09:50 PM.
sixerfan82 is offline   Reply With Quote