View Single Post
Old 09-02-2006, 08:17 PM   #15
HALLandOATES
Local High School Star

Quote:
Kobe Bryant was on All NBA 1st defensive team in 2000…made a game winning block in one of the games…80s lakers, 80s celts, 90s bulls, 2000s championship teams all had excellent perimeter defenders. When you get deep into the playoffs, defense wins games…that’s how its always been.

Being on NBA all first team doesn't mean your a shut down defender which is what I was saying. All's those teams you listed had great perimeter shooting as well. Argubaly the best in the league for the time and place .

Quote:
And what happens if ray allen fails to outscore lebron…there are 4 other guys on your team that can outscore lebron…having bowen will disrupt lebron, and thus influence the whole offensive unit of the cavs…giving your team better opportunities and breaks to put up points.

What happens if Bowen fails to stop LeBron? Lebron could start hitting shots and Bowen would be able to stop him no matter what. It has happened many times. When that happens other guys get open from LeBron drawing double teams and then the whole team can't be stopped.

Quote:
A perimeter defensive player is capable of disrupting those attributes especially if you’re one of them players that can only shoot.

What? That has nothing to do to what i was implying. I was talking about how when most superstars start to develope an outside shot then that leads to them getting doubled, which leads to more assits and them becoming a passer, which leads to them becoming a star which all leads up to why supertstars in guards/small forwards are usually good outside shooters .

Quote:
This depends at what kind of team you have…with the increase of scoring trends nowadays, I would take Shandon anyday because he provides rare defensive play that will ultimately make it easier for my superstar player to play offense.

Again Shandon Anderson is a great addition to any team with his defense, but i'd rather have a player that can shoot from beyond the arc at high rate and isn't a offensive liabilty.

Quote:
Players face different matchups everytime and since perimeter defensive players are rare, allen has it easy most of the time. Look at the matchups between allen and bowen. How frustrated allen becomes and how bowen disrupts his game. Again, players like Allen average big time points because there aren’t enough defensive minded players today, everyone wants to score…but putting allen up against bowen, allen wont have it easy…

Your overatting Bowen's defense. Ray scored 35 points on him this season. Bowens defense isn't stellar 24/7. Its not constant 24/7. he has his good games and his bad. There actually is more defensive minded perimeter players then you might think in the league today. Each team has them.

Artest,S.Anderson, J.Posey, J.Jeffreies, D Armstrong,L. Hunter,R. Patterson,K. Bryant, A.Miller, J. Kidd, B. Bowen, R Bell, M. Petterson, J .Rose, S. Cassell, G. Payton, E. Jones,E Snow, K. Ollie, C. Billups, R. Hamilton, C. Atkins, S. Augmon, D. Anderson, M Barnes, K. Bogans, G Buckner,C Chenay, D. Fisher, K. Hinrich, L. Deng, E. Griffin, L .Hughes, A Johnson, I. Newble,B. Sura, D Wesley.I just named 40 players in the NBA that are great perimeter defenders i na bout two mintutes and there are lots more if you think about it. There not as scarce as you think when it comes down to it. There all over the place.Are they all shut down? No sir, But you have to ask yourself are all offensive players as good as Ray Allen? No way. Thats why we need more shooters like Allen. Shooters aren't over the top in numbers then there are solid defenders. That is a fact.

Your going off of the young players too much. Its the young players today that are lazy on defensive and offensive minded that is given NBA a bad name when it comes to defense and some teams as well. Theres still a plenty of defensive minded players in the NBA, I mean plenty. Most of them arent talked about like you said because defense isn't what most fans want to talk about. There's many underrated ones to like D.Wade, G. Arenas, P. Pierce, C. Anthony, J. Stackhouse, M. Finley, L. Odom, Q.Ross, B. Wells and many many more.

Last edited by HALLandOATES : 09-02-2006 at 08:22 PM.
HALLandOATES is offline   Reply With Quote