View Single Post
Old 06-07-2009, 11:48 PM   #23
GiveItToBurrito

Default Re: What good is Ricky Rubio if he has no shot

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaininThrees
It can be fixed. Jose Calderon had a horrendous shot his first year in the league, but he rebuilt it, and is now one of the better shooters in the game.

05-06: 42% FG
06-07: 52% FG
07-08: 51% FG

There was a story on ESPN last year about Calderon rebuilding his shot:

""His secret?

A big old rubber band.

In discussing Calderon's shooting prowess beforehand, Triano explained how the Raptors were so frustrated three years ago by Calderon's poor shooting stroke -- his flaw was that he was flaring his right elbow out -- that one day Triano, then an assistant to Sam Mitchell, grabbed a long rubber band that players use for leg stretching exercises, attached it to Calderon's forearms just below the elbow and told him to try shooting that way, which kept Calderon's elbow tucked at his side.

The trick was so successful, Calderon used it over the summer when working on his shot (he said he also would position himself one inch from a wall on his right side and practice that way, knowing that if he flared his elbow out he'd scrape it against a cinder block surface).

"It was to help concentrate, but you could not do more than 10 shots in a row with the rubber band because it hurt too much," Calderon said. "But I'd keep shooting without the band, and I'd keep shooting the same way.""

That's pretty interesting. I could see Rubio making a similar improvement, too, since he seems pretty comitted to learning the fundamentals of the game. I think it's also important for people to take into consideration that he's only 18 or 19, an age when only the best shooters have knockdown jump shots.