View Single Post
Old 11-06-2006, 01:28 AM   #65
reppy
Apparently likes anime

reppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
liberals omit the truth just as much as Bush does.

looks like both sidse are nothing but hypocrites. :rollingeyes:

Liberals never wanted to goto war with Iraq in the first place. Kind of hard to place the blame on them. Furthermore, what is happening right now is exactly what liberals said would happen: a civil war; a power vacuum; mass chaos. But no, the neocons were right and the liberals were anti-American and unpatriotic.

I read a point-counterpoint article in The Onion that while humorous and obviously fake, summed it up nicely. A liberal makes his point saying it will cause more problems, create new terrorists, create a power vacuum, etc. And the conservative's argument basically consisted of, "No, it won't. You don't know what you're talking about. Believe me. It just won't. OK?"

I recently saw a video where an American soldier is speaking to an Iraqi.

"We do not have food and water."

"But now you have democracy and freedom. Are you saying you'd rather live under Saddam?"

"Yes: we had food and water."

That's not entirely how it went, but that is essentially the point the Iraqi made.

And really, I don't think we were greeted as liberators. In some small pockets, yes. But overall, we were not welcomed with the red carpet.

I'm also not a fan of the libertarian/free market model. I would say the basic argument is this: corporations will take care of their customers because if they don't, their customers won't return. But that's an illogical argument. Indeed, if this were the truth, there would be no crack dealers; there'd be no market for nicotine; McDonald's would serve nothing but celery and wheat grass. If employers took care of their employees to ensure that they will keep coming back and working hard for them then there would be no sweat shops.

It's a flawed ideology. Absolute power breeds corruption. There needs to be checks and balances in every system.

Last edited by reppy : 11-06-2006 at 01:33 AM.
reppy is offline   Reply With Quote