Page 35 of 115 FirstFirst ... 25323334353637384585 ... LastLast

Default Re: The GOAT List: 100 Greatest Players in Basketball History

Quote Originally Posted by TheAnchorman
    Now I'm just waiting for #44.

I think Payton is ranked higher than Kidd, and David Thompson has already come around the 70s. Payton should be in top 30, off the top of my head.
    edited: worthy should be the next on the list. big game james in a great player but not a top 50 all-timer.

Luchini from the sky TheAnchorman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by goldenryan
    edited: worthy should be the next on the list. big game james in a great player but not a top 50 all-timer.
    Which leads me to ask you a question, G.O.A.T.:

If the Lakers picked Wilkins and Atlanta Worthy in 1982, would Worthy stay the better player?

If the Lakers picked Wilkins and Atlanta Worthy in 1982, would Worthy stay the better player?
    no, he would get over looked cause he didn't win anything, he would be look at about the same as AD.

Fair question but a few things.

1) as my articles says, Nique was drafted by Utah, not Atlanta and forced a trade.

2) What if's are something I never considerer when ranking players.

a) this is because they are to subjective. Yes if Nique won three titles like James and had the same stats and accolades he'd be ranked above James. But just as it's unfair to judge Dominique solely on team success, it's unfair to rank James Worthy based solely on stats and accolades.

In my opinion, Worthy was a far more complete player than Nique who hadas many or more big games in the biggest moments.

Just as Nique's team success was deflated by lack of stars around him, Worhty stats and accolades were deflated by the number of stars around him.

I'll throw this out there, Worthy and McHale are top 35...maybe higher...and it's in large part because their teams were titles contenders ever year of their prime and if the #1 star (Bird or Magic) was shut down or limited they consistently steeped up into the role of lead dog.

More on that as we get to those players, but I'm already seeing the rumblings and feel I owe a big explanation to the those of you following the list and so I'm starting now.

Thanks for the support and responses all.

I think Payton is ranked higher than Kidd, Payton should be in top 30, off the top of my head.
    Quote Originally Posted by goldenryan
    kidd and payton should be coming real soon. (like now)

See why this is soooo hard.

Local High School Star CB4GOATPF's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by G.O.A.T
    Fair question but a few things.

1) as my articles says, Nique was drafted by Utah, not Atlanta and forced a trade.

2) What if's are something I never considerer when ranking players.

a) this is because they are to subjective. Yes if Nique won three titles like James and had the same stats and accolades he'd be ranked above James. But just as it's unfair to judge Dominique solely on team success, it's unfair to rank James Worthy based solely on stats and accolades.

In my opinion, Worthy was a far more complete player than Nique who hadas many or more big games in the biggest moments.

Just as Nique's team success was deflated by lack of stars around him, Worhty stats and accolades were deflated by the number of stars around him.

I'll throw this out there, Worthy and McHale are top 35...maybe higher...and it's in large part because their teams were titles contenders ever year of their prime and if the #1 star (Bird or Magic) was shut down or limited they consistently steeped up into the role of lead dog.

More on that as we get to those players, but I'm already seeing the rumblings and feel I owe a big explanation to the those of you following the list and so I'm starting now.

Thanks for the support and responses all.
    Nique is a Top 50 All Time in Terms of Impact Easy.....

At 1st he was just as scorer, versatile rebounder, team defender but as years past he played greater every season in the 1992-93 season i remeber watching Nique play and i was surprized at how all around he was, his shooting and desicion making where all underrated late in his career...At that time Nique was a bit past his prime but i never understood why he was considered a one dimensinal guy that could just score...did not care about team play, rbd, defense etc...That might ahve been early in his career but tha man later on was sorely a top player a top 5-10 player in the league for many seasons

Player Efficiency Rating

[COLOR="darkred"]1985-86 NBA 23.3 (5)[/COLOR]
    1986-87 NBA 23.5 (8)
    [COLOR="darkred"]1987-88 NBA 23.7 (5)[/COLOR]
    1988-89 NBA 21.8 (10)
    1989-90 NBA 24.6 (7)
    1990-91 NBA 23.5 (9)
    [COLOR="DarkRed"]1992-93 NBA 24.3 (5)[/COLOR]
    [COLOR="Blue"]Career NBA 21.6 (32)
    Career 21.6 (31)
    [/COLOR]

*And Had He Not Played Past the 93-94 season (age 34, when injures began to slow him down after that) his Stats would have been Better!

Explain to me how this impact is not ranked in the Top 50?

Nique had a Good Defensive Team in the Hawks but he was the only Good Offensive Player and its not like the Hawks where the Greatest Defensive Team of the 80s either He had To Carry the Load Every Season in the Greatest Era in NBA History (along with the 60s in terms of competition)!!!!

Nique is so Underrated its Insane!!!!!!!

Him and McAdoo are Top 50 Period!
    Last edited by CB4GOATPF; 10-03-2009 at 06:32 PM.

No question about it that Bob and Nique are in the top 50 as evidenced by inclusion of both.

Both had flaws as players sure, but both addresed their flaws as bets they could and loved the challenge of proving doubters wrong.

I wish someone would have seen the value of Wilkins in his mid to late thirtys and picked him up as a 6th man, in aprticular the Rockets in '97.

Would have much rather saw him out there than Sam Mack or Matt Bullard.

Default #44: Dolph Schayes

[I][FONT="Palatino Linotype"][SIZE="3"] At this point of the list we again visit the games earliest era when it didn

robertshaw_1
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

ginobili is coming now?

Quote Originally Posted by robertshaw_1
    ginobili is coming now?

If Ginobli is ahead of LeBron and Nique...

Man, those guys must have really small packages. I mean, how did he move in those shorts? Infertility must have been a problem for the NBA of yesteryear. Good pick, though.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix18
    Man, those guys must have really small packages. I mean, how did he move in those shorts? Infertility must have been a problem for the NBA of yesteryear. Good pick, though.
    I'm pretty sure your boxers' (or most people's) are at least that small, and no one presents difficulties to move.

Now, just don't bring up the horrifying image of a court full of guys playing basketball in boxers.

Happy for the selection of Schayes. Hadn't read much on how he actually played nor what makes him great.
    Last edited by artificial; 10-05-2009 at 08:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix18

Basketball shorts are loose. Just because they're small don't mean they're tight. As for the package, I guess they wore tighty-whities.

Quote Originally Posted by artificial
    I'm pretty sure your boxers' (or most people's) are at least that small, and no one presents difficulties to move.

Now, just don't bring up the horrifying image of a court full of guys playing basketball in boxers.

Happy for the selection of Schayes. Hadn't read much on how he actually played nor what makes him great.

Thanks again man.

Hope you got at least a litle sense of how he became the legend he is.

A phenomenal shooter for his size by the eras standards and still not afraid to go inside and mix it up in an era where guys were specifically on teams to foul. Imagine how many fouls some guys would commit if you couldn't foul out.

Default #43: Gary Payton

[I][FONT="Palatino Linotype"][SIZE="3"]The next two players on the list are the two greatest point guards of the their generation. Following the greatest group in NBA history that featured Magic Johnson, John Stockton and Isiah Thomas, these two with well rounded point guards would lead their teams to multiple conference and NBA finals but neither would (yet) get a ring as a starter. They have much in common; both taken their team to the finals and come up short against a Dynasty, both also suffered through a number of mediocore years with below average teams around them. Both were the second pick of the draft behind much more hyped players who they became greater players than and were know more for their defense and passing then their scoring coming into the league. Both played in the Pac-10 and for UCLA or Arizona, the traditional powerhouses. And both would make their NBA mark with franchises with little in the way of championship experience. Between the two of them there are 18 all-star games and all-defensive selections, 15 all-NBA selections and six assists titles. If you don
    Last edited by G.O.A.T; 10-11-2009 at 08:49 PM.