View Single Post
Old 12-18-2009, 08:15 AM   #56
JalenRawley
Local High School Star

Default Re: Can Shane Battier dunk?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
I never would have guessed that even a quiet, professional player like Battier has haters.

As long as there are children who follow the NBA, it will happen.

One other thing is that dunking also takes more energy, -wasted- energy, to dunk unnecessarily. And let's face it, many dunks are unnecessary but they're still spectacular displays of athleticism to enjoy. But why waste your legs trying to dunk when you've got to chase around your opponent's best scorer all night? That's not his job. He doesn't have anything to prove, he doesn't get caught up in juvenile ego and headgames, he's not concerned with padding stats or getting on posters, he just plays to win. It's not flashy, it's not pretty, it doesn't fill up the stat sheet, but he also isn't a detriment to his own team. Every team needs a guy like Battier. He's an intelligent, hard working, easy to please glue guy, what team wouldn't want him?

I guess I could write another 10,000 words about how pathetic, ignorant and clueless it is to equate dunking and scoring with being a great NBA player, and to eschew both means you suck, regardless of how good you are at other things or how important you are to team chemistry and winning. But even the majority of people here on ISH already know this and supports this point of view. We all recognize that it is an immature, juvenile point of view that will evolve and eventually mature with time and experience.
JalenRawley is offline   Reply With Quote